Thinking about buying the Pro Stick Plus

Can it do 978 also? I ask cause in the description on the FlightAware ADS-B Store it doesn’t mention 978 like the original Pro Stick.

I know the Pro Stick Plus has a filter on it for 1090 but does that work with 978? Should I still get the Band Pass Signal Filter, Dual 978-1090 MHz?

Thank you in advance for the help.

The Prostick Plus is for 1090 Mhz since it has a filter for 1090MHZ built-in.

As far as I’m aware this doesn’t work for the UAT frequencies ( but I can be mistaken). If you want to receive ADS-b and UAT you wil need 2 decoders ( 2 Prosticks for example).

For 978 Mhz you will need the original Pro stick

Ok cool thank you. I appciate the help.

So one Pro Stick Plus for 1090 and 1 Pro Stick for 978 and the filter probably correct?

Yes if you are going to connect both dongles to 1 filter this will be enough.
So you might need a splitter cable between the dongle and the filter.

I would use 2 bandpass filters, 1 for 1090 and 1 for 978 Mhz. You could use one antenna but then you need to split the signal before the filters

This is a suggestion then

Hmm why would I need a splitter? Couldn’t I just connect the antenna to the Flight Stick Plus and a Filter and antenna to the Flight Pro Stick?

Its basically what I am doing now with a RTL-SDR Blog V3,Filter and Antenna for 1090Mhz.
Planning on connecting another RTL-SDR Blog V3 to the PiAware once I figure out how to configure PiAware to enable 978.

This will be temporary till I get the FlightAware Sticks.

Certainly, if you have 2 antennas you don’t need a splitter.
I was under the impression you had one antenna ( my bad, assumption is the mother of all f*ckups)

Fot the installation of 978 Mhz folow the steps here

You need to install dump978-fa instead of dump1090-fa

Can ya install dump978 on the same PiAware that has the dump1090? Just wodering casue I only have one Raspberry Pi 4. Sorry for dumb question.

yes that is also possible but then you have to make sure both dongles have a different serial number programmed in.
See this post for the needed steps

Ok cool thank you,been looking for something like that :slight_smile:

A tip, use serial number 978 and 1090 for the respective dongles, that makes it easier to see which dump is using which dongle.

Im looking at the instructions and its saying I need to put in commands like sudo etc. But I am useing what is shown here Number 2;

Its not like I have Linix installed like a OS.

Hope I made sense.

Btw this is my stats hope ya can see them;

Looks like 978 is already installed just need to connect another RTL-SDR and configure it.

You are using the SD card image for your setup.
This comes with the operating system for your Pi ( Raspbian Bullseye is the operating system on the card).

In order to get both dongles installed as well you will need to login to the Pi4 via SSH. I use the program called Putty for that.
This connects to the Raspberry Pi on port 22 giving you a command line interface where you can input the commands.
then you can execute step 1,2,3

In Putty you can put in the ip adress of the raspberry pi ( inside your network) to connect to it.
Login to the device with the username “pi” and password “flightaware”.
then you can execute the steps

Isnt 978 already installed according to the image above or no?

Yes it is installed but you need to serialize the dongles in order to get it working.

Oh ok duh lol,thank you.

remember just execute the steps to serialize the dongles :wink:

Ok I will thanks :slight_smile:

I love this stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

Trying to get in to my PiAware but keeps saying “Network Error: Connection Refused”

you need to enable SSH on the SD card image, follow the steps from this link

I never use the SD card image :wink: