Thinking about buying the Pro Stick Plus

or you could check this site:
https://howchoo.com/g/ote0ywmzywj/how-to-enable-ssh-on-raspbian-without-a-screen

So I should get 2 bandpass filters even though the Flightstick Pro Plus already has a filter?

That would be my advice yes. The prostick plus filter is located behind the built-in LNA so you amplify the noise as well and then filter it. By adding the extra filter you can eliminate the noise prior to amplifying it.
It is depending on your local conditions. If you live in an urban environment with cell towers nearby like I do the extra filter can help a lot.

Ok cool thank you.

Can’t wait till I get my new sticks :slight_smile:

Underneath an example of one of my sites that had an RTL-SDR v3 dongle in the beginning of August. I switched it on 11th August to a Prostick Plus dongle with filter and added a decent antenna to it on the 25th of August.
I always check initial performance with the stock antenna en decide later if I want to get a better one.

You can see the improvements over time but they also depend on your environment.

It highly depends on your environment and the possible noise sources.

I do have the dark blue 1090 MHz filter also, but it doesn’t make a noticeable change if in use or not.
But i am living in an area without close noise, so the reception is only limited by terrain.

Ok cool.

Unfortunately I am only able to have a antenna on the inside of the apartment sitting in the window,during the day I get around 45 Planes and at night that drops to around 1 or 2 planes. I really wish I could have a Antenna outside but I don’t think the landlord would like that.

My antenna at the moment is this;

I do plan to get Flightaware’s antenna when I upgrade to the 1090 and 978 sticks from flightaware.

This antenna;

This brings me to another question I have been thinking about…
What would be the best possible antenna I could get for Indoor for 1090 and 978? I have looked at different ones and from the reviews I have noticed people saying when they upgrade from their old antenna they get up to 150-200 or more planes while having the antenna inside their apartment. Not sure I can really believe that.

I would opt for this antenna ( but I don’t know if that fits in your budget)

This is a very good antenna, I have 3 of these and they perform nicely.
I have them mounted inside and they have an average range of 150-200 NM even in the urban area I live in.
I also have antennas from Slovakia but I don’t know if you want to import from Europe.

Go ahead and list the ones from Slovakia if ok.

Is the 978 version from Flightaware also pretty good?

What wire/coax should I get?

You can have a look at www.vinnant.sk and look for the ADSB antennas in their e-shop.
They only change the real costs for shipping.
I don’t know if they have 978 MHz antennas since 978 MHz UAT isn’t used in Europe.
Other suggestion would be the ADSBexchange antenna.

Cable needed would be SMA male connector to N male connected. Depending on the distance is would be useful to use H155 cable or LMR200 or LMR400 cable
Both the antenna have female connections, N-female on the antenna and SMA female on the flightaware dongle

Found one on the Flightaware Store;

Yep that is also a viable option

This good?

Or this?

I would get the 25ft version of that for a little more.

They are both fine :+1:t2:

Ok im confused looking at the antenna you suggested it says N Type Termination so wouldn’t both sides need to be N? one from the antenna and the other end into the Dongle? Both the antennas says N type Termination.

Sorry for dumb question,just want to make sure I get the right cables.

N type termination is the connector at the antenna side. The dongle ( and the filter) have an SMA connector. So you will need a N male to a SMA male cable since the antenna and dongle are both female.

Oh ok duh,sorry about that lol.