Succesfully shared ADB-B Flight feed to Flightradar24

The HOST address, is this supposed to be the ip of the PI

No. Basically 127.0.0.1 is the local address of every computer for connections to itself.

1 Like

I also changed to Beast-tcp, however after reboot, it changed back to dvbt. I even tried changing it in the web setting page for FR24 without any luck.

Interesting. That makes it final: don’t use the FR24 image :frowning:

Just use a piaware sd-card image, start with step 2 here: PiAware - build your own ADS-B ground station for integration with FlightAware - FlightAware

After getting it going you can install FR24.
Even if you are using a DVB-T USB Stick, in FR24 settings, DO NOT choose Receiver “DVB-T” , as this will screw up feeding to flightaware again :wink:
Choose Receiver ModeS Beast (USB/Network) and enter the ip 127.0.0.1 and port 30005.

Yep, I think so. I just noticed when I tried to do it again that it shows “Error writing /etc/fr24feed.ini - Read Only File System”

Thanks for your help.

I should be able to use the same keys and not create a new site?

You can put your feeder-id in piaware-config.txt if you want to keep the current site.
(Follow this guide if unsure: For Beginners - How to Get Back Existing Station Number in A Fresh Install)
You can also use the FR24 key you already have when installing that.

You might also want to read this: Bake a Pi

1 Like

On Pi24 image, I have successfully installed Piaware data feeder (package install). I did NOT install dump1090-fa. Instead I used setting “receiver = dvbt”. Both the fr24feed and Piaware used the output from fr24feeder’s onstalled dump1090-mutability ver 1.14.

Try adding --net in the field “Process Arguments” in IP-OF-PI:8754/settings.html

How to Feed Data to Multiple Sites - A Brief Guide

Scroll down to:
FR24 FEEDER CONFIGURATION
OPTION-1:

1 Like

I have used etcher to put the FA image piaware-sd-card-3.6.3 on it. It went on ok, have put it in the Pi and started, the Pi is no longer showing up on my network. It is plugged in via Ethernet and Wifi wasn’t configured.

OK, it now shows up but wont let me SSH into it with Putty.

That’s covered in the instructions. Just search the instructions page for ssh.

After image is written, and microSD card is still in card reader of Desktop/Laptop, Enable ssh.

To enable SSH:

Windows:
In File Explorer, double click the drive letter of microSD card. This will open the folder /boot and show lots of files and some folders. Right click in /boot folder, and create a new blank file named ssh or ssh.txt

Mac:
Open terminal and give following command
$ touch /Volumes/piaware/ssh

I get the impression you are just not receiving anything (as in problems with the antenna or dongle)
Have you taken a look at the local map of piaware?

Sorry, I couldn’t respond. Had used up all my replies.
Yes it appears my Tuner is not functioning correctly. i have ordered a new one that will hopefully arrive this week. My current tuner with I send the command rtl_test bring up the following:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ rtl_test
Found 1 device(s):
0: Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
usb_claim_interface error -6
Failed to open rtlsdr device #0.

Late last week it brought up Fitipower which i know is not capable of 1090Mhz. Early last week it showed up as RTL2838. So I think it is fried.

It is just being used currently you need to stop dump1090:

sudo systemctl stop dump1090-fa
rtl_test

But that doesn’t really matter if it is a FitiPower tuner, those are not compatible with ADS-B (1090 MHz)
(so it might pretend to work fine but is never actually receiving anything because the reception is terrible)

1 Like

Yep, time to wait for my new tuner:

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
Detached kernel driver
Found Fitipower FC0012 tuner
Supported gain values (5): -9.9 -4.0 7.1 17.9 19.2
Sampling at 2048000 S/s.

The dongle has two chips.
The rtl_test shows both.

If the Tuner is R820T, it suits 1090 Mhz (Type 1 in table below)
If the Tuner is Fitipower 0012, it does NOT suit 1090 Mhz (Type 2 in table below)

Type Tuner Chip Receiver Chip Dongle Suitable for ADSB
Dongle Type 1 R820T2 RTL2832U YES
Dongle Type 2 FC0012 RTL2832U NO

Yes, i have a 1090Mhz antenna mounted on the roof. i will wait until my new tuner arrives.

Thank you for your assistance.

Second that re Virtual Radar Server, excellent program.

Geffers

1 Like

I found the link above extremely helpful!

I bought the FlightAware ProStick Plus, followed the instruction to image the PiAware. Then run a couple “sudo” commands to feed FR24. FlightAware Stick Pro is the best investment I’ve ever made = $29 + 7$ antenna!

1 Like

What do you mean with those numbers?

Looking at your stats you have a lot of room for improvement, what antenna are you using?