PiAware and the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B

As many of you know, the Raspberry Pi Foundation announced the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B (http://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-2-model-b/) having the same price and identical form factor as the Model B+ but with four ARM7 CPU cores and a gigabyte of RAM, providing twice the memory and roughly six times the CPU power of the prior models, at the same price.

FlightAware will provide and support PiAware for the Pi 2 as well as continuing to support the existing Pi 1 Model A, B and B+.

I’m excited about the Pi 2 for a few reasons:

• dump1090 will not super noticeably slow down the machine like it does now

• It’s powerful enough and has enough memory that the graphical desktop environment will have fairly decent performance, which could really open up some possibilities

• Time-consuming software and package builds will go a lot faster (something I’m looking forward to)

From what I’ve read it will require a different system image, which means we’ll probably have to provide two SD card images. Not ideal but not a big deal.

Also initially the same userland will be provided for both by using the one compiled for the slower and less sophisticated ARM11 CPU in the Pi 1 (yeah I know, why is 11 < 7?) but I think recompiling CPU-hungry dump1090 specifically for the Pi 2 is likely to yield a nice performance win.

More speculatively, there are some capabilities in the new chip and possibilities for leveraging the GPU for general computation that are very interesting.

Anyway, we haven’t received our hardware yet, and it is in fact back-ordered, but I expect we’ll have Pi 2 SD card images by the end of the month at the latest.

Thanks for playing…

Karl

Can help you with a Pi in Australia

JiffyShop.com.au

Qemu is your friend here!

Having just got into ADSB, am using this an excuse to get an RPi 2 myself (have always been interested, but never really had a use for one).

My RPi2 turned up earlier this week (before they went out of stock at RS Components here in the UK).

Had a play with the default Raspbian (i.e not PiAware build), and that behaved as expected - i.e it worked.

Also got Virtual Radar working of my dongle, using a collinear coax aerial I built.
See’s c20 aircraft at a range of c120miles, so I know that works.

Just installed PiAware on it, it loads as far as asking for “piware login…” , but I dont know the default login.

Will want to:

Set static IP
Expand OS to use full card (64gb SDXC Class 10)
Install VPN for remote access
Setup wifi access

Still, I’m sure all will become clear once the new version of PiWare of the RPi 2 comes out - looking forward to it !

Will watch FB / G+ to hear of release!

The default login for the SD card is pi with a password of flightaware – the default password was changed because it isn’t secure.

Please let us know if this works – and I’m still waiting for a few Pi 2s! Takes longer for them to get out to us in the Colonies, let alone all the way out to the Left Coast!

If you install avahi daemon you won’t need a fixed IP to find your pi, you’ll be able to connect using its hostname (e.g. ssh pi@scylla.local). Using avahi and certificates makes life easier for you, and more secure at the same time.

cheers–

bob k6rtm

Or use dnsmasq for DHCP+DNS, which doesn’t require clients to do anything special (many routers are probably doing this already)

It looks like there are some odd issues with the new Pi 2.
See:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=99042

Sounds like it needs to be in a case, then wrapped in copper or aluminium foil - which probably isn’t a bad thing to do if it’s going yo have an SDR dongle near it.

I swapped my pi B+ with a pi2
Same SDR and wifi, all working fine…
Except now flightaware recognizes it as mine, but seems to have created a new pi for stats?

I think FA identifies the unit by the MAC address of the hardwire Ethernet port. New board = new MAC = new stats bucket. They had to pick something, and that was it.

Yep. piaware-mutability will let you override it if you feel so inclined.

Is it hard to swap over to Mutability?

Not really. It may be easier to install a default raspberian image then install it as a package, but that’s dealers choice.

Take a look at the threads:
ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/piaware-mutability-packages-released-t19751.html
and
ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/raspbian-ubuntu-packages-for-dump1090-mutability-available-t19619.html
The second is a tad lengthy, but informative.

I have the RPi 2 - in a case - so the “bright flash” is never going to be an issue.

Re the “silver foil” , presumably the RPi - or any device - will be putting out some level of interference.
With the ADSB dongle plugged into the RPi (i.e close proximity) is this actually any notable level of issue / benefit?

CAN YOU HELP ME TO INSTALL A VIRTUAL RADAR SERVER ON RSP2. WHAT OS ARE YOU USING?

Why did you reopen a 7 year old topic just to shout at us (typing in all caps is considered shouting and is very rude) and ask for support for someone else’s computer application?

Try reading the VRS installation and documentation pages and if you still need help, ask for it on their forum.

https://forum.virtualradarserver.co.uk/

In sum, on your Pi open a terminal and run

sudo apt install mono-complete

Once mono is installed, go to the directory in which you extracted VRS, open a terminal, and run

mono ./VirtualRadar.exe

Telling you how to configure VRS or how to create a VRS menu item or desktop launcher is beyond the scope of FA discussions. Professor Google is your friend as is the abovelinked VRS documentation.

If VRS won’t run it’s likely because your Pi 2 isn’t powerful enough, in which case run dump1090-fa or readsb on the Pi and VRS on your desktop PC or laptop and configure its receiver to use the IP address of the Pi instead of 127.0.0.1 (localhost.)

If VRS won’t run it’s likely because your Pi 2 isn’t powerful enough, in which case run dump1090-fa or readsb on the Pi and VRS on your desktop PC or laptop and configure its receiver to use the IP address of the Pi instead of 127.0.0.1 (localhost.)

That is what I did though seldom use VRS as using @wiedehopf tar1090 is as good.

Geoff

How do you like this one?
Running on Windows, gets data on port 30288 from either AirNav Radar Box supplied receiver OR from RB Feeder running on RPI

CLICK ON SCREENSHOT TO SEE BIGGER SIZE
CLICK AGAIN TO SEE FULL IZE