WWII veterans travel from DAB to Washington, D.C.

100 WWII veterans to travel from DAB to Washington, D.C., May 17 in honor of their service

The veterans will arrive at Daytona Beach International at 5 a.m. A US Airways charter will depart DAB for Reagan National Airport at 6:28 a.m. Saturday, May 17, returning to Daytona Beach at 9:02 p.m.

http://www.flydaytonafirst.com/05-15-08.htm

Anyone know what plane they will use?

Keep checking back at the scheduled departures for DAB page on FlightAware.

A320, I was thinking somthing bigger

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/USA9257

Here’s the actual flight to DCA.

An A320 sounds like the right size aircraft for the group. The aircraft has 126 to 138 seats in coach plus 12 to 16 in first class. The number of veterans plus the guardians (chaperons) and camera crew comes to about 140 or so. I wold guess that the camera crews would use the first class area as a “staging” area for their equipment.

Ha. :laughing: LOL That’s what I was thinking.

Another honor flight, this one from Omaha:
Vets head to D.C. on honor flight
Excerpts:

BY JOE DUGGAN / Lincoln Journal Star
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 09:07:45 am CDT
OMAHA - The Heartland Honor Flight is under way.

A chartered airliner carrying 102 World War II veterans from Nebraska and western Iowa was loaded at 7 a.m. Wednesday. If all goes as planned, they’ll arrive in Washington, D.C., late Wednesday morning to spend the day touring war memorials and Arlington National Cemetery.

Seeing the National World War II Memorial was expected to be the day’s main event.

The veterans range in age from 80 to 95, and nearly 20 wheelchairs were loaded onto the plane.

They’ll also see memorials to the Vietnam and Korean wars as well as the Iwo Jima memorial. And they’ll see the changing of the guard at Arlington National Cemetery.

Spirits were high as the veterans boarded charter buses outside their hotel at 5 a.m.

They’re scheduled to get back on the plane at 6:30 p.m. and are due back in Omaha by 10 p.m.

The roughly $80,000 cost of the flight will be paid entirely by private donations and is sponsored by Nebraska VFW. Entertainer Larry the Cable guy made the biggest single donation of $70,000.

Organizers plan to send a second flight of veterans to the nation’s capital on July 8 from Lincoln. But they have a waiting list of 500 veterans who want to go so they’ll need to raise more money for additional flights.

This appears to be the outbound flight: MEP8160

Every WWII Vet still able to travel ought to be given the opportunity for a free trip to see the WWII Memorial in DC.

And to be able to get to see the solemn sites at Normandy, the Punchbowl in Honolulu, or the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor. There are others, but at the very least, the Memorial on the Mall.

Here’s the Honor Flight national website.

The final honor flight for Nebraska’s WWII vets coming home. Pretty cool that they got a 744.
flightaware.com/live/flight/NWA9986

I think one or two years ago they used N623US NWA bowling shoe on that charter flight can anybody confirm?

113 vets leave DAB to DCA on Sat, May 7

They will fly on a A-321

Uh, today’s May 7th and, as much as I wish it was, it ain’t Saturday yet. Do you mean Thursday, May 7th, or Saturday, May 9th?

My bad guys :smiley:

Volusia Honor Air flight scheduled
for May 9 from DBIA

http://www.flydaytonafirst.com/05-06-09.htm