USB WiFi dongle external antenna

I am looking to add an USB WiFi dongle to my flightfeeder (not the homebuild piaware), need one with external removable antenna.
I see on the FAQ page that there are 2 suggested dongles, but both do not have an external antenna option.
Has anyone sourced one that works with the flightfeeder?

Tons of options, but with the inability to modify the software I was hoping to hear from someone that has tried one and it worked.

This is what I mean by usb dongle with external removable antenna.

NOT this type.

The FA FAQ recommends the Edimax 7811 (no antenna like you said). I have an Edimax 7711USn which has an external antenna and have used it for 8-9 years now. I bought it as it was reported to be plug/play with Linux. Every Linux system I have used it with worked straight away. Not sure it is in production nowadays and can’t say it will definitely work with a Flightfeeder as I don’t have one, but worth a look if you are are interested.

There are many dongles for sale with SMA or MMCX connectors for an external antenna. Most brands such as Linksys, netgear, TP-Link have at least one offering with an external connector. IMO the trial-and-error procedure from/at your local electronics shop will be the easiest way to check for compatability.

I may be wrong, but I think the FlightFeeder is locked to a known configuration and you are not invited to modify it.

There are quite a few wifi dongles that will work natively with the PiOS if you want to build your own receiver.

You might want to discuss your concerns further with Flightaware (who owns and maintains that piece of equipment)
adsbsupport@flightaware.com

1 Like

Yes, the software is locked. However, they do allow the addition of an external dongle for wifi, just looking for a model number from anyone that has added successfully. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for the reply.
Seems like some of these are hit/miss. My equipment is not easily assessable so I am hoping to reduce the back and worth or trial and error. Will see what works!