RadarBox 24

The mlat1.rb24.com:40900 is IP:Port of RB24 MLAT Server to which rbfeeder is connected to send data

I’m talking about --input-connect 127.0.0.1:32457

The full command is:
/usr/bin/python3.7 /usr/bin/mlat-client --input-type dump1090 --input-connect 127.0.0.1:32457 --server mlat1.rb24.com:40900 --lat 43.5

The --input-connect 127.0.0.1:32457 is the IP:port of rbfeeder from which mlat-client gets data from rbfeeder in beast format, and send it to RB24’s mlat-server at --server mlat1.rb24.com:40900

You can see this data in your browser at IP-of-Pi:32457

For my Pi at IP 10.0.0.21, I see it at 10.0.0.21:32457 as shown in screenshot below

RB24 Default Config (Without MLAT)

RB24 feeder Config-Default

RB24 config With MLAT Enabled

RB24 Flow Chart with MLAT Enabled

It can take a while until it gets connected to other stations, Last time i was waiting > 1 hour

I bow low for the help provided. Health to you. 73 EW8IKA Kirill Belarus.

@rikifromgomel

Thank you, and congratulations

1 Like

@rikifromgomel
@foxhunter
@wiedehopf

BUG IN RB24 SUPPLIED MLAT-CLIENT

Found the cause of @rikifromgomel’s problem:

The mlat-client which is supplied by Radarbox24 and installed by command sudo apt-get install mlat-client has following bug:

When rbfeeder is restarted by command sudo systemctl restart rbfeeder , the mlat-client fails to restart. Only if RPi is rebooted, then mlat-client starts.

I am using a systemd setup written by me for adsbexchange.This also uses mlat-client. When using RB24 supplied mlat-client, it starts successfully when RPi is booted, but fails to start when I issue command sudo systemctl restart adsbx-mlat.

I replaced the RB24 supplied mlat-client (installed by command sudo apt-get install mlat-client) by the mlat-client I have built from source code and uploaded to Github.

Here is what I did, and now mlat is working OK even when rbfeeder and adsbx-mlat are restarted. No need to reboot Pi to restart these.

1 - Uninstalled RB24 supplied mlat-client

sudo apt-get --purge mlat-client   

2 - Installed mlat-client which I have built from source-code

wget https://github.com/abcd567a/mlat-client-package/releases/download/v1/mlat-client_0.2.11_BUSTER_armhf.deb    

sudo dpkg -i mlat-client_0.2.11_BUSTER_armhf.deb  

3 - Rebooted RPI to restart everything properly

sudo reboot   

4 - Restarted rbfeeder and adsbx-mlat and checked status, both working OK with mlat

pi@piaware:~ $ sudo systemctl restart rbfeeder 

pi@piaware:~ $ sudo systemctl status rbfeeder
● rbfeeder.service - RBFeeder Service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/rbfeeder.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Sun 2020-12-13 18:47:29 EST; 42s ago
 Main PID: 15124 (rbfeeder)
    Tasks: 12 (limit: 2200)
   Memory: 5.9M
   CGroup: /system.slice/rbfeeder.service
           ├─15124 /usr/bin/rbfeeder
           └─15138 /usr/bin/python3.7 /usr/bin/mlat-client --input-type dump1090 --input-connect 127.0.0.1:32457 --server mlat1.rb24.com:40900 --lat 43.5 

pi@piaware:~ $ sudo systemctl restart adsbx-mlat

pi@piaware:~ $ sudo systemctl status adsbx-mlat
● adsbx-mlat.service - Adsbexchange-mlat
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/adsbx-mlat.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Sun 2020-12-13 18:49:54 EST; 12s ago
 Main PID: 16270 (adsbx-mlat.sh)
    Tasks: 2 (limit: 2200)
   Memory: 4.0M
   CGroup: /system.slice/adsbx-mlat.service
           ├─16270 /bin/sh /usr/share/adsbexchange/adsbx-mlat.sh
           └─16273 /usr/bin/python3.7 /usr/bin/mlat-client --input-type dump1090 --input-connect 127.0.0.1:30005 --lat 43.5xxx --lon -79.6xxx --alt 1xx -

Dec 13 18:49:54 piaware systemd[1]: Started Adsbexchange-mlat.

My RB24 Config

1 Like

@abcd567
thx for your hints … :+1:
RB24 & MLAT works now on my Pi 2 … :slightly_smiling_face:

I un- and re-installed RB24, and due to the fact that I have to reboot my Pi after DSL is reconnected every day at approx. 4 AM, I added the command “sudo systemctl enable rbfeeder” in the crontab file …

This command was required only once after installation, and not at every reboot. You may remove it from crontab file.

NOTE:
Normally rbfeeder is automatically enabled during installation, and enable command is not required even once.

Due to some error during installation by @rikifromgomel, the rbfeeder was not enabled automatically, and did not start at reboot. I therefore recommended him to use this command due to this problem, and that also to be used only once.

hhmm, after re-installing I waited till next day (daily reboot) and next morning I checked RB24: no MLAT …
… therefore I added it to crontab. I will remove it and try again …

@abcd567
I removed the command "enable rbfeeder” in crontab file, rebooted Pi, looked at my browser, at first nothing … after a few minutes in left status panel “MLAT active (No stations synced)” showed up … and another few minutes later “MLAT active (xx stations synced)” showed up.
I tried it several times …
… patience is the ‘keyword’ … :wink:

1 Like

As stated already, for me it took more than an hour until it was visible…
But patience is also a foreign word for me usually

2 Likes

@infomb
@foxhunter
@rikifromgomel

A Quick check - can be done immediately after restart/reboot. No wait required for this check.

The presence or abscence of “mlat line” in output of command sudo systemctl status rbfeeder shows if mlat-client has started or not. The “mlat line” is the 3rd line below:

CGroup: /system.slice/rbfeeder.service
           ├─15124 /usr/bin/rbfeeder
           └─15138 /usr/bin/python3.7 /usr/bin/mlat-client --input-type dump1090 --input-connect 127.0.0.1:32457 --server mlat1.rb24.com:40900 --lat 43.5 

Same problem as here

After RPi reboot needed systemctl restart rbfeeder.
Probably, the RPi does not have time to get the IP address when the rbfeeder started working.
How to restart the rbfeeder a few minutes after the RPi is restarted?

No it is different, as in that case you linked, the rbfeeder itself did not start at boot. Here rbfeeder does start at boot, the problem is with mlat-client, which does not start when rbfeeder is restarted manually.

After reboot

After sudo systemctl start rbfeeder

@rugomol

In your case most likely some files got corrupted.
Your best option is to purge current rbfeeder, and do a fresh install of rbfeeder.

(1) Open file /etc/rbfeeder.ini and copy-paste your key in Notepad and save on your Desktop.

(2) Purge the current install.

sudo apt-get purge rbfeeder  

(3) Reinstall rbfeeder

sudo apt-get update   

sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - http://apt.rb24.com/inst_rbfeeder.sh)"   

sudo rbfeeder --setkey ‹your sharing key›

sudo systemctl restart rbfeeder  

(4) Edit file /etc/rbfeeder.ini, and add your latitude, longitude and elevation, and remove # at the beginning of following line

[mlat]
#autostart_mlat=true

Even worse
sudo systemctl status rbfeeder

pi@piaware:~ $ sudo systemctl status rbfeeder
● rbfeeder.service - RBFeeder Service
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/rbfeeder.service; disabled; vendor preset
Active: inactive (dead)

For some reason during installation the rbfeeder was not enabled.
Try this:

sudo systemctl enable rbfeeder    

sudo systemctl restart rbfeeder
## OR
sudo reboot  

sudo systemctl status rbfeeder