PanAm jet parked at BQK

Today, I was driving by the BQK airport (which I’ve never done, despite having lived in the area for a few months) and geeked out when I saw a PanAm jet sitting on the tarmac. I had kind of assumed that all planes with the PanAm livery had been sold off, scrapped, or parked in the desert. I could not find a record of the plane’s flight to BQK, so there’s no telling how long it’s been sitting there. Please excuse the cellphone picture. Just relish the fact that my sister wasn’t with me, and I was able to turn around and go back and take the pic!!!

I thought I’d share with you guys…

Happy Sunday

EDIT:
Just kidding! Here’s the photobucket link
s953.photobucket.com/albums/ae13 … 1-1026.jpg

That’s not a real Pan Am Pan Am. That aircraft was owned by Guildford Transportation Industries (GTI). GTI owns railroads and thought they could operate an airline using the great name of Pan Am.

This particular aircraft is a 727-222. It started life with United in 1980 and was with them until 1992 (the last 5 months it was in storage at VCV).

GTI obtained the aircraft in 1992.

In 1997 the aircraft was purchased by Cybergate-Nevada LLC. Still operated by Pan AM

Pan Am ceased operations in 1998 and the aircraft was stored at BQK.

David you are a wealth of information, my hat is off to you.

Here’s some pictures from better days

EDIT: I don’t care if it is the fake Pan Am, the 727 in PA livery is damn sexy.

rzjets.net/aircraft/index.php

N7467U - United Air lines - 1980-2001
N348PA - Boston-Maine Airways - 2002-???
N348PA - Cybergate-Nevada LLC (broker) - 2007-current

RZ Jets has a little different information.

It shows with UAL til Nov 2001 (9/11 killed a lot of 727’s) then BMA buying the plane in May of 2002 but doesn’t show when it was parked but does show JAX.

Don’t know when it got to BQK but guess Cybergate had it ferried sometime after April 2007.

The purchase of the Pan Am name and logo occurred in 1998, BMA ceased operation in 2008 from what I can see. Their history is quite a story but guess the wiki page is mostly accurate on it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston-Maine_Airways

EDIT: Ok, found some photos on airliners and it was at UA til 2001. Also, found a photo of it under BMA in Feb 2007 so guess it was parked sometime late February or March of 2007. Another bit of trivia, this was the last 727 ever delivered to United.

Thank you.

And here’s some pictures of Pan Am that I think are even better - I never have liked billboard titles that have appeared on many airliners in the past 20 or so years.

You have mixed up aircraft. N348PA and N349PA are two entirely different aircraft. N349PA was formerly N7444U. N348PA is construction number (CN) 21921 while N349PA is 21898.

My source is airlinerlist.com/ - I’ve found this to be a very accurate site. Here’s the complete details on N348PA that they have.

Construction number 21921, Line number 1639, Series 222
First Flight 7/2/80
Registered N7467U United AL 7/25/80
owner Bank of New York 1/4/99
Ferried ORD-Victorville 11/5/01 for storage
Registered N348PA Pan American AW 4/19/02
Stored Guilford Transport Industries 4/19/02
Ferried to Portsmouth, NH 4/17/02 with United fleet number
Seen Sanford 1/20/03 with full color scheme.
Reregistered 7/31/03
Store Sanford in full colors 8/28/03 (in service?)
Seen stored at Jacksonville 10/30/04 in full PA colors and old registration
Seen in service at FLL 4/17/05
Seen in service at Nassau 4/22/06
Seen stored at Sanford 8/8/06
Seen in service YYZ 2/18/07
Pan Am Railways sold to Cybergate-Nevada 4/6/07
Seen CLT 10/28/07
Pan Am ceased service on 3/22/08
Aircraft stored at Brunswick 7/20/08, seen there in full colors on 10/10/09

See airlinerlist.com/ for the history of N349PA.

For more complete information on Pan Am see the following Wikipedia articles:
1996-98 incarnation
1998-2004 incarnation

Edit: When I looked at RZ Jets, the registrations shown were the same as that shown by airlinerlist.

That’s not a real Pan Am Pan Am. That aircraft was owned by Guildford Transportation Industries (GTI). GTI owns railroads and thought they could operate an airline using the great name of Pan Am.

This particular aircraft is a 727-222. It started life with United in 1980 and was with them until 1992 (the last 5 months it was in storage at VCV).

GTI obtained the aircraft in 1992.

In 1997 the aircraft was purchased by Cybergate-Nevada LLC. Still operated by Pan AM

Pan Am ceased operations in 1998 and the aircraft was stored at BQK.

Boy, do I feel stupid…

By the way - thanks for the site! It’s got lots of aircraft production lists that I couldn’t find elsewhere.

Just a typo, fixed and corrected.

Yeah, it’s the only site I know of that gives the airline Fleet numbers too.

Why? I don’t think there was anything to feel stupid about. It was just information you didn’t have. Most people who are not airline geeks like myself probably would think the Pan Am founded in 1929 was the same Pan Am that you saw.

Who is this Cybergate company? They also own N410BN, another 727 with a very distinctive livery. In fact, I have been trying to determine if N410BN is in storage somewhere or still flying. Does anyone have any information?

airlinerlist.net has 3 entries for N410BN. You can download the spreadsheet from that site for the 727. Use “find all” to locate all 3 entries.

(It would take too long for me to reformat the remarks into something readable here)

Looks like an aircraft broker, found on google search,

Cybergate-Nevada,LLC is an aircraft brokerage firm that buy and sell aircraft.

Thanks! Airliner List looks like an interesting website. I hadn’t heard of it.

N410BN is in storage at BQK with the Charlotte Hornets ex 727-200. I spotted both last month while getting fuel there and I believe I have a photo of both in the database.

N410BN was available for charter at one time with Ascend Aviation till the DOT pulled the plug. After that it was with Ready Jet Go a company that catered to Nascar charter.

BQK is also the home of Stambaugh Aviation a company that provides heavy maintenance for large aircraft. Not uncommon to see Travolta’s 707 parked at Stambaugh. stambaughaviation.com/

I was the Director of Marketing for a CRAPPY RIP OFF PIECE OF S#!@ MX Facility in BQK called Stambaug Aviation. There are two brothers (AKA Con Artists) that run the joint.

Ready Jet Go was my customer - and I can give you ALL the dirty details on ALL the B727’s that were at BQK (Are Still at BQK) including Planet Airways sitting across the field out of view.

My Email is mwoodssix@yahoo.com

The Dir of CQ and I decided to start our OWN MX facility - which we did and are still in business in SFB doing DC-8 and B-727 work. We were both FIRED from the BQK MX Company - which was really a blessing!