'Other' again

It looks as though this has been dealt with, thank you.

1 Like

The user is still #1 in the stats,
Oh, all of his feeders stopped feeding…
User was also online at the day it stopped.

Anyways, i am not Sherlock Holmes :wink:

My interpretation was that the figures dropped back to normal the day after it was said it was being investigated then the feeding stopped which I took it as perhaps being blocked by FA.

shrug

That’s how I’m looking at it as well. Offline since that day so either he took them down or his feeding for the specific user( 4 sites active) has been blocked.
On FR24 he still has an active site with the same high numbers that can’t be right :wink:
He has ony 2 sites there with 1 off them being offline

His ranking will drop, he was number 1 and 2 for the sites and the rankings are calulated over 30 days so we will see him declining from there ( number 2 has already dropped to 3)

I was just thinking about how someone might go about gaming the stats that way and the only thing I could think of is to use a HackRF in very low power mode along with a second ADS-B antenna, and run a program that uses a random number generator to feed the HackRF’s transmitter with random 6-digit hex numbers.

I was also wondering if there might be a situation where a feeder’s other mode-S message count might be very high compared to its ADS-B, UAT and MLAT messages due to “natural causes” if you will. Maybe a poorly set-up feeder that has very few MLAT peers but is located near a busy military airbase where they use their own made-up ICAOs?

This one looks a little bit odd - Not ‘other’ but nothing whatsoever close by, not located near any airport and only seeing traffic that’s only >250nm away. Location set to 00,00 on 7th June and frankly phenomenal stats since then.

wow, they set up 10 sites since 7 june!

I hadn’t noticed that!

I spoke with the user of that site and it’s an aggregating site where there are good reasons for doing the aggregation (mostly bandwidth-related). It does kinda break the stats display though…

1 Like

Completely..

1 Like

Looks a bit odd, yes…

1 Like

It makes a mockery of the whole statistics thing really, it’s logging 8,000 aircraft/day which means that after a month it’ll be at around 240,000 compared to the next person on the list with fewer than 160,000.

1 Like

Well, the stats are not hugely useful anyway (see: many earlier threads), but I do plan to add support for excluding specific sites from the ranking for cases like this.

5 Likes

Guess that would be a great idea. And hopefully will give us, the feeders, a better insight/ feeling

1 Like

Perhaps they should have a seperate leader board to accomadate these figures, away from real figures!!!

1 Like

I like ratings and statistics (yes, I know that in the grand scheme of things, it wouldn’t matter a jot if my receiver didn’t exist because I’m in such a well covered area).

I’m really #15 but this shows me as #16 because of that stupid aggregator.

just think how poster357 feels!

2 Likes

Well, I am totally amazed, we now have 2 Brits in top 50 of the world

Your not far off that golden top 10 :wink:

Kind regards

Jerry

1 Like

@keithma
Did you see the top 10?It looks like something happened. Not sure what. The aggregator isn’t there anymore.
perhaps FA changed the ranking calculations?

2 Likes

Good news!

Although the one who’s now on top has over 1,500 ‘other’/day.

When we get decent conditions and I pick up ground traffic in distant airports and the rigs in the North Sea, I think they’re flagged as ‘other’ as my figures go up as well which artificially raises my position in the rankings. I really wish they just weren’t included in the overall position calculations at all so that it’s consistent all round.