Moving PiAware Feeder

I recently moved my PiAware feeder from Kihei, HI to Phoenix, AZ. When I attempt to change the feeder coordinates in the MY-ADS-B section of Flightaware I get an “Error: New position too far away message.” Should I set up a new account for my Phoenix location or is there a work-around. The feeder will be moving back and forth between AZ and HI a few times a year.

When connected, the feeder will estimate its location based on the positions received. After the position is estimated near its actual location, you can adjust the location based on the lat/long. Typically this takes an hour or so, but could take longer.

After two days, I gave up and just moved it a degree at a time.

OK, so two days after it was set up and receiving positions, it still did not detect a new location? I will file a ticket on this issue. Thank you for the information.

I am in a similar situation. I was in PHX, but brought one receiver with us to Brazil for two weeks. The receiver is connected and updating (12891). However, even after a thousand or two positions, all of A/C in the area, I am still only able to move the location by about a degree at a time. Has the OP’s ticket been fixed? I haven’t tried reloading all s/w on the Pi yet Should I do that?

Cheers and 73 - Jon N7UV

For clarification, you have 2 sites still in PHX and one in Brazil now, correct? Also, have you already moved the feeders location on the map to its final spot, a degree at a time?

Yes, I still have two sites in PHX and brought the third one temporarily to Brazil while on vacation. I had to move the location no more than 1 deg at a time (lat and lon each 1 deg) and just now got it to the correct location. It was a long journey through the Amazon %^)I f I exceeded 1 deg in either lat or lon I’d get the “moved too far” error. So in theory, I could move 1.414 deg of arc each time if I was really careful…

Cheers and 73 - Jon N7UV

I’m trying to move a FA receiver, too. Not nearly as far as Brazil, but just about 7 miles. I have successfully connected the FA Pro Stick + receiver to the new WLAN, and I’ve edited the location details and antenna height.
PiAware is running, I can see lots of aircraft when I connect to the Raspberry Pi hosted site on the local network.
However, the receiver won’t register as connected to the FA servers. FA is still expecting to find it at the previous IP address.
How do I get FA to let me claim it anew?

Your stats page shows both receivers as working.
Not sure what status indication you are referring to?

Anyway the log will be most revealing, do you have ssh/putty access onto the pi?
If so run this command:

sudo journalctl -u piaware -e --no-pager -n20

And post the output here.

Both receivers are again working at my home location and on that home WLAN. All OK when there.

When I attempt to migrate receiver 92931 to a different WLAN at a site a few miles away that receiver connects to the local network and I can see PiAware performance, but FA central servers are still expecting to find 92931 at the old IP address, apparently.

Will run the diagnostic log you suggest.

That’s not how it works.
The receiver connects to FA.
If the connection works the receiver is identified by the feeder-id which is saved on the sd-card.
Most likely thing i can think of is that somehow the router doesn’t provide internet for the receiver so it can’t connect to FA. Or you need a different configuration for that wifi.

Do you have set a static ip or anything like that?
Your config.txt might give a clue (please redact the wifi password and feeder-id)

Thanks for the review.
The receiver is now operating on the cell modem WLAN, here’s a screen shot from the local IP of that WiFi network

However, the FA My ADS-B page shows no connection to that receiver. The web page in the screen shot is hosted on the Pi, yes?
As for the config code on that receiver, here is what’s running:

wired-network no
wireless-network yes
wireless-ssid "MiFi-974D"
wireless-password "***********"
rtlsdr-gain 33.8
allow-auto-updates yes
allow-manual-updates yes
allow-mlat yes
allow-modeac yes

So there’s not much to it. That same config file with network and password changed works fine at the home setting.

Yeah that is correct, that’s the local webpage from the pi.

I’ll have to look at the logs i mentioned before.

Is the WiFi you are trying to use 7 miles away also a mobile wifi?
Maybe your mobile provider is blocking something crazy i don’t know :slight_smile:

When changing location did you remove the feeder-id?
Or did you just redact it for posting here?

Yes, I removed the feeder-Id so that FA might see the site as new.
In the PiAware log file I see the attempts to log into FA, which are rejected.

FA support team suggests this:
Turn off the SDR power
Wait 30 hours
Then it will be possible to “dis-associate” the feeder-id in the user page.
Last, power it up again and “claim” the rediscovered receiver

Not sure why you would delete the old feeder-id.
Just continue using the old feeder-id? You already changed the location anyway.

If you see something in a log file, pasting it here is normally preferrable to a description, it just gives more information, at least sometimes. (for example the log might state a reason)

You may be running into a captive portal or similar where your ISP requires each device to authenticate before it has internet access; piaware has no knowledge about how to do that. Seeing the exact piaware log messages would help tell if that’s the problem.

Jerry,

I recently setup a new pi and upgraded another one. I was able to ssh into my pi and ran the following to force it to connect to one of my feeder-ids . This might force it to grab the new ip for that feeder-id ?

pi@piaware:~ $ sudo piaware-config feeder-id some-really-long-number-used

I think your local to me (I’m 1 mile from BWI), you got a really good setup it looks like.

John