More TSA BS!

gizmodo.com/5845772/tsa-pats-dow … ng-scanned

Another tempest in a teapot.

Had she simply allowed the pat-down, it would have all been over in less time than it took to read the tale.

Guess you really don’t get the point.

She did the backscatter. She had a note from her doctor saying she had the implants. She had no problems with the leg of her flight.

But that’s okay. I’d rather give up my freedoms for security. (Like hell I would). If the TSA actually caught anyone doing their BS idea of security, it would be on thing. But they haven’t. It’s nothing but a large bureaucratic mess.

She had a generic card about the implant. The card even says the implant contains metal that may be detected by security devices. She should have been well aware this could be a problem.

My father has a pacemaker and a hip replacement. He hands his device ID cards to the TSA when they check his ID. They typically ask if he would like private screening. It’s never been a problem.

It should be common sense that if you have some kind of device implanted in you it may be a problem.

Tempest in a teapot is a good description IMO.

Now… the TSA in general and it’s effectiveness is a whole different thread IMO.

That’s the thing with this, anyone with a story is going to get their story out because of the bad image of the TSA. if they need to be replaced or not is another discussion but right now they have a job to do.
If they do their job they catch hell, and they’ll catch hell if they don’t.

I am much more interested in the fact I’m about to defy gravity in an aluminum cigar tube for several hours than what anyone else on the plane is carrying.

The TSA is an offensive concept IMO. Necessary - because it is accepted by the majority of society - but offensive.

EVERYTHING is a weapon. Defensive or offensive depends on the intent of the one wielding it. Taking off our shoes doesn’t make anyone safer, and has the potential for MORE harm.

If passengers took responsibility for their safety, they’d be safe. If someone rushes the cockpit, passengers should vigorously nullify the threat and sleep with a good conscience.

Lacking manners and sense we have ‘security’ to deal with instead.

There are some really STUPID a-holes working for TSA:
Florida teen detained by TSA for design on her purse
sour

(italics are my comments)

It’s not unusual for 17-year-old to find themselves in hot water with the fashion police. But on a flight from Virginia to Florida, Vanessa Gibbs found herself detained by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) over the appearance of her purse.

And just to be clear, it wasn’t the content inside the purse that the TSA objected to. No, agency officials took exception with the design of a gun on Gibbs’ handbag. (note: it was the design, NOT the contents of the purse)

“It’s my style, it’s camouflage, it has an old western gun on it,” Gibbs told News4Jax.com. Gibbs didn’t run into any trouble while traveling north from Jacksonville International Airport. But on her way back home, TSA officials at Norfolk International Airport pulled her aside.

“She was like, ‘This is a federal offense because it’s in the shape of a gun,’” Gibbs said. “I’m like, ‘But it’s a design on a purse. How is it a federal offense?’”

After TSA agents figured out the gun was a fake *(I wonder how long it took for these genisues to figure this out)*, Gibbs said, they told her to check the bag or turn it over. By the time security wrapped up the inspection, the pregnant teen missed her flight, and Southwest Airlines sent her to Orlando instead. The changed itinerary created no small amount of anxiety for Gibbs' mother, who was already waiting for her to arrive at the Jacksonville airport.

“Oh, it’s terrifying. I was so upset,” said Tami Gibbs, the teen’s mom. “I was on the phone all the way to Orlando trying to figure out what was going on with her. It was terrifying.”

Less terrifying is the actual design on the purse, which is only a few inches in size and hollow. “I carried this from Jacksonville to Norfolk, and I’ve carried it from Norfolk to Jacksonville,” Vanessa said. “Never once has anyone said anything about it until now.”

Nonetheless, the TSA says the design could be considered a “replica weapon,”* (yea, the teen could pull the design off of the purse and shoot someone)* something that the agency has banned since 2002. Just imagine what would have happened if Gibbs had also been wearing stiletto heels.

overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_news/ … other?lite

A 4-year-old girl was patted down recently by Transportation Security Officers (TSO) at a Wichita, Kan., airport after she embraced her grandmother at the security checkpoint. She said the trouble began when her daughter, Isabel, successfully passed through security, but then ran to hug her grandmother, who had triggered an alarm and had been asked to sit and await a pat-down.Brademeyer said that a TSO began yelling at her daughter, would not permit her to pass through the scanner again and said that a pat-down was necessary. Isabel, according to her mother, was wearing Mary Jane shoes, a short-sleeve shirt and leggings that did not have pockets. “It was implied, several times, that my mother, in their brief two-second embrace, had passed a handgun to my daughter,” Brademeyer said.

ksat.com/news/U-S-Rep-says-T … index.html
U.S. Rep. Francisco “Quico” Canseco (TX-23) didn’t intend to publicly share his incidents with TSA but is speaking out after they were leaked to the public.
He said the first incident happened on April 16 as he was walking through security at San Antonio International Airport.
“So I lifted up my arms and submitted to the full pat-down and as they were patting down my legs, they went up on my leg, right into my crotch and it hurt,” said Canseco. “My reaction was to move the guy’s hand away and to step away. Well, the TSA guy just lifted his arm up and said, ‘I’ve been assaulted.’ I was the one assaulted, not him. I guess he was being very technical about it.”

Will the TSA ever actually stop or catch a real terrorist?
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5199/6969923918_b5c23da4e6_c.jpg
Probably not! :smiling_imp:

Source: CBS DC

Family Misses Flight After TSA Gives Pat-Down To Girl With Cerebral Palsy
WASHINGTON (CBSDC) – The Transportation Security Administration is once again the subject of national scrutiny, this time after aggressively screening a 7-year-old female passenger with cerebral palsy which caused her family to miss their flight.

http://cbswashington.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/dina-frank.jpgThe girl, identified as Dina Frank in a report by The Daily, was waiting with her family on Monday to board a flight departing from John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York headed to Florida.

Since Dina walks with the aid of leg braces and crutches, she cannot pass through airport metal detectors, and must instead submit to a pat-down by TSA agents.

Dina, who is also reportedly developmentally disabled, is usually frightened by the procedure. Her family reportedly requests that agents on hand take the time to introduce themselves to her.

However, the agents on duty at the time began to handle her aggressively instead.

Air travel is difficult to the family due to Dina’s disabilities, but the nature of Monday’s inspection was especially traumatic for the child.

“They make our lives completely difficult,” her father, Dr. Joshua Frank, a Long Island pediatrician, told The Daily. “She’s not a threat to national security.”

Frank taped the encounter, which ended when a supervisor inspected her crutches and let them pass. But agents followed up and insisted upon doing a full inspection of Dina.

Ultimately, the family missed their flight.

“They’re harassing people. This is totally misguided policy,” Frank told The Daily. “Yes, I understand that TSA is in charge of national security and there’s all these threats. [But] for her to be singled out, it’s crazy.”

Dina, from Long Island, had recently experienced triumph after Botox and phenol injections helped her to gain control of her legs, enough to take several unassisted steps.

After being born prematurely and suffering from bleeding in the brain, Dina struggled for years to get around, even enduring a double hip replacement to assist in her recovery, CBS New York reported.

UPDATE: The TSA issued a statement defending their decision to pat-down the girl.

“TSA has reviewed the incident and determined that our officers followed proper screening procedures in conducting a modified pat-down on the child,” the agency said.

Group launches app allowing travelers to file complaints on TSA screeners
foxnews.com/politics/2012/04 … screeners/

A Sikh advocacy group launched a free mobile application Monday that allows travelers to complain immediately to the government if they feel they’ve been treated unfairly by airport screeners.

Has anyone heard about TransAir Flight from Atlanta to Houston, 17 April, Flight number 297 and why it did not depart?

PwT

TransAir?

I’m not aware of such an airline.

Do you mean Airtran? Also, April 17th was a long time ago by airline standards.

Just remember, its not a Grope, its a Freedom Pat…

Ahhhh, the good ol’ TSA make it to the threads again…forgive my late post. As was mentioned in an above posting “Damned if they do damned if the don’t” with regard to their job. The TSA IMHO will stay this way…sadly. I am sure if you hit the search box you will find a number of other previously discussed instances of TSA comedy. Happy flying :wink:

All the more reason I’m hoping that my local airport gets the OK to dump them. SMF just applied for the waiver to drop them, and if they can, they’ll be out of here faster than a fart in a whirlwind.

BL.

TSA Agents Allegedly Strip-Search Woman, Fiddle with Feeding Tube
The politically correct headline should have eliminated the word “allegedly” because this did happen!

A North Texas man says he is outraged that airport security agents at Dallas Love Field strip-searched his wife and handled her feeding tube.

Melinda Deaton has a four-inch medical tube sticking out of her stomach. The medically implanted tube is needed for treatment after complications with a gastric bypass surgery.

Deaton frequently flies from Dallas to Minneapolis for treatment at the Mayo Clinic. She said Transportation Security Administration agents strip-searched her and touched her feeding tube Wednesday morning when she was on her way to three days of treatment.

Her husband, John Deaton, said the incident was unusual.

“They will see it on their screens, ask her what it is, she’d identify it, they may pat it on the outside of her clothing, accept it and go on,” he said.

But that didn’t happen Wednesday morning.

Even though she was wearing a medical bracelet with a USB drive on it that contained notes from her doctor, TSA agents still searched her.

Click link for rest of article.

Again, the TSA does not really provide security. The correct name for the agency should be “Waste Taxpayers Money with a facade of security Administration.”