TSA Relaxing Rules?

First post so sorry if it’s not in the correct category.

I flew from Dulles to Denver this past weekend for some skiing.(03-20-14/03-23-14) At BOTH airports I got into some sort of line that didn’t require you to take off shoes, belt, jacket, take out your laptop. In fact i just had to empty my pockets and go through the medal detector. To be honest it felt kind of weird. I did noticed a guy with a tablet directing people to different lines as you got to security. This was past the check of your ID and Ticket, so as far I know it was totally random who goes through this line.

I overheard one of the TSA agents saying this speeds everything up (sarcastically) as everyone was was taking off shoes only to be told to put them back on.

The more i thought about it, i think this was a promotion or something for TSA Pre. It seemed like at both airports i got into that line.

Same thing happened to me going to Miami last week. When I was leaving Miami 5 days later, I was getting ready to take off my shoes and got yelled at (I assumed it was only Delta/LGA that was doing it). TSA, agent said to me, “why are you taking off your shoes, now we are going to pat you down”. How the hell was I suppose to know!!!

There hasn’t been a post in a while, but I wanted to point out that sounds like TSA Pre-Check.

I was a part of it on my recent travels. It is something that you register for and it expedites the process of going through security!

----NAPOLEON----

TSA has been applying the PreCheck rules to regular passengers randomly. I had it happen at T3 @ LAS in Feb.