Help with ADS-B Pi Setup [Flight Aware Kit]

Hello! So I just recently bought the FlightAware ADS-B kit and was putting it together to now realize I am not able to connect it to Wireless internet. Please offer advice on how to continue?

The Flight Aware ADS-B kit RaspberryPi has wireless built in. It will require editing the piaware-config.txt file on the SD card.
I just used a card reader and edited it on my Mac (straight text only):

wireless-network yes
wired-network no
wireless-ssid [here put the name of your network]
wireless-password [your password]

If you mean your wireless network is unavailable, there is a wired network connection on the RasPi.
You would make changes to the piaware-config.txt, only
wireless-network no
wired-network yes

Once you’ve made the edits,
Save the edited file (again, be sure it is saved as a plain text file)
Eject your SD card, and put it in the unpowered RasPi, and power it up.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

I’ve done that exactly. Now what I can’t figure out is why I get this:

I think this is beyond my experience.
Are you able to SSH in to the Pi?
And did you do

sudo piaware-status ?

You’ll probably just get similar results to what you sent as a screenshot.
I think you may need to ask Flightaware directly, since you seem to be getting info in ok, and the only issue is reaching FA.
Especially with a new setup, they have been responsive to me in the past.

Good luck.

No idea how to SSH into the Pi.

Emailed them already about 2 hours ago and no response.

Update: Now trying to SSH into the Pi. Will update on what it shows soon.

Update Later: No idea how to SSH into the Pi. Followed the Flight Aware Instructions but they didn’t work.

Just search on the forum with “SSH” - this is a topic covered dozens of times. Numerous step-by-step instructions.

1 Like

Thank you. Appreciate the help.

1 Like

Did you put a ssh file into your boot. Otherwise you won’t be able to ssh your Pi. I am just busy withe reinstalling and forgot to copy an empty file named ssh into the boot pf my ssd.
After that I could access my Pi

So I did that but how do I SSH after I boot it up? I did Alt+F2 and when I gave the username Pi it did not let me input a pass phrase.

Have you got putty set up on a computer?

The hostname is pi@your pi ip address, ie pi@192.168.1.88

The password is flightaware this doesn’t show when you type just hit return when it’s in

How would I find the pi IP address?

I do NOT have access to the router.

Also @gavin323 I have not been able to claim the device either due to Wi-Fi connectivity issues. I cannot even Bluetooth the Pi to connect either-

Sorry for causing trouble I just cannot get it to work. :slight_smile:

First you need to determine what network your PC is on. To do this open a cmd window then enter tracert google.com. The first line of the response will show the IP of your router. For example:
1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms Router [192.168.1.254]
This indicates that you are on the 192.168.1 network. Your number may be different.
Next use a utility such as Angry IP Scanner (free download here) to scan 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.254. The scan should take about a minute and will return hits on each device on the network. This will include the name and IP of all connected IP devices that are wired or wi-fi including your RPi,

1 Like

Back to the issue of the fact that the whole reason this is not working is because my Pi is NOT connecting to the internet.

Also, when I do that how will I know which one is the Pi?

Completed the SSH. Here are the results:

Im going to try something and see what happens. Will update.

I am seeing the same issue on a new Pi I just received. Let us know if you find a resolution! I will keep trying also…
Thx!

Simple solution was to run raspi-config from a terminal window. Turned out I needed to set my timezone, locale and WLAN Country. They were all set to the UK. Doing that and rebooting the pi fixed it.

How are you getting on?