Fleets and ADS-B ID changes

There are a couple groups that I track their fleet’s locations, bases, times. What I suspect is the operator can easily change what the ship identifier is, and does so as they are reassigned to a different base. N number stays the same, but in FlightAware I see the fleet ID jump around with no intermittent flight. Make sense? How/where do they go to make these on the fly (pun intended!) changes? Thanks.

What do you mean by “fleet ID”?

If you mean callsign / ident, that’s typically set individually for each flight, it’s easy to change.

Thanks. A good example is CALSTAR Air Medical, a helicopter air medical fleet in California and Oregon, the fleet uses “CMDxx”, with xx being the base number for that ship. CMD2, CMD5, CMD7, CMD14- any of which I can use to track by entering the flight box top center of FlightAware. Each aircraft also has an N number of course- and if you know what ship is at which base, that can be used.

They have a large fleet though- so they often move aircraft around to balance the hours per ship, crew availability, down for maintenance and so forth. So what I can’t figure out is who assigns the Fleet ID and how. Pilots? Control center for CALSTAR? Maintenance folks? Clearly they do these reassignments fairly often, as a ship will magically appear somewhere else with no associated flight getting it there. Make better sense?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.