Dump1090-fa and Performance Graphs

I am very new at all of this. Will the Performance Graphs from the ADS-B Receiver Project work with FlightAware’s version of dump1090? I think it is called dump1090-fa. I am currently using dump1090 mutablity but I really prefer the FlightAware map interface over the one produced by mutablity. Is there anything special I need to install if they will work. Thanks in advance.

Yes, Performance Graphs work with dump1090-mutability as well as with dump1090-fa.
I have on one Pi dump1090-mutability+Performance Graphs, and on another dump1090-fa+Performance Graphs.

Where did I go wrong. I started with a freshly formatted SD card and followed the instructions at forum.planefinder.net/threads/a … raphs.951/. They worked great for mutable but something is amiss with 1090-fa. By the way it didn’t show up on the list of 4. It 3 instead but when I said ok fa was on the installation list.

Building and installing the dump1090-fa package…

Building the dump1090-fa package…

dpkg-buildpackage: source package dump1090-fa
dpkg-buildpackage: source version 3.5.0
dpkg-buildpackage: source distribution stable
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Oliver Jowett oliver@mutability.co.uk
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture armhf
dpkg-source --before-build dump1090
dpkg-checkbuilddeps: Unmet build dependencies: libncurses5-dev libbladerf-dev
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: build dependencies/conflicts unsatisfied; aborting
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: (Use -d flag to override.)

Entering the dump1090-fa build directory…
Installing the dump1090-fa package…

dpkg: error processing archive dump1090-fa_3.1.0_.deb (–install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
dump1090-fa_3.1.0_
.deb

Checking that the dump1090-fa package was installed properly…

INSTALLATION HALTED!
UNABLE TO INSTALL A REQUIRED PACKAGE.
SETUP HAS BEEN TERMINATED!

The package “dump1090-fa” could not be installed.

Dump1090-fa setup halted.

Your problem is caused by old version number 3.1.0, which is no more available. Current version number is 3.5.0

This is caused because JP’s scripts are not updated for sometime. As a result the version numbers in the script are outdated.

To update version numbers, edit file variables.sh and change version numbers of following software as shown in red, which are latest version numbers:

1. PIAWARE
  2. PFCLIENT
  3. MLATCLIENT

After changing version numbers and Saving the file variables.sh, re-run the install script
./install.sh

~$ sudo nano adsb-receiver/bash/variables.sh

#! / bin / bash

################################################################################## #

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

SOFTWARE VERSIONS

The ADS-B Receiver Project

PROJECTVERSION=“2.5.0”

FlightAware PiAware

PIAWAREVERSION=“3.5.0”

PlaneFinder ADS-B Client

PFCLIENTVERSIONARM=“3.7.20”
PFCLIENTVERSIONI386=“3.7.20”

Flightradar24 Linux Debian package

FR24CLIENTVERSIONI386=“1.0.18-5”

mlat-client

MLATCLIENTVERSION=“0.2.9”
MLATCLIENTTAG=“v0.2.9”

PhantomJS

PHANTOMJSVERSION=“2.1.1”

Thank you for your speedy response and clear instructions.
Mike

Looks like another issue has popped up. Any help would be appreciated. I did verify that the changes you gave me did in fact get written to the variables file and restarted the ./install.sh. This is what I am seeing now…

Building and installing the dump1090-fa package…

Building the dump1090-fa package…

dpkg-buildpackage: source package dump1090-fa
dpkg-buildpackage: source version 3.5.0
dpkg-buildpackage: source distribution stable
dpkg-buildpackage: source changed by Oliver Jowett oliver@mutability.co.uk
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture armhf
dpkg-source --before-build dump1090
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: (Use -d flag to override.)

dpkg: error processing archive dump1090-fa_3.5.0_.deb (–install):
dump1090-fa_3.5.0_
.deb

INSTALLATION HALTED!

Thanks, in advance…

sudo apt-get install libbladerf-dev libncurses5-dev

The solution given by ttalex should resolve the problem.

One of the most basic fixes to resolve dependencies problems is to run:

sudo apt-get -f install

The -f here stands for “fix missing”. Apt will attempt to correct broken dependencies.

After dependencies are installed, run the script again
cd ~/adsb-receiver
./install.sh

The script normally asks option to update/upgrade your system, Seems you have chosen “no”. If you have chosen “yes”, it will run “sudo apt-get dist-upgrade”, and most likely will install missing dependencies.

I did answer yes the upgrade question. Should I still try your solution or is the problem elsewhere?

The problem is not “elsewhere”, it is clearly missing dependencies.

You can try ttalex’s method (direct approach), or sudo apt-get -f install (generalized method). To be on safe side, better run both.

After running the above two methods, re-run the installation script.

Upgrade usually minimizes dependencies issue by installing lot of packages, but does not install all dependencies. That is why I used phrase “most likely”.

I did as instructed using both command line entries and it looked like it was going to work until:

sdr_bladerf.c: In function ‘handle_bladerf_samples’:
sdr_bladerf.c:371:30: error: ‘BLADERF_META_STATUS_OVERRUN’ undeclared (first use in this function)
if (metadata_flags & BLADERF_META_STATUS_OVERRUN) {
^
sdr_bladerf.c:371:30: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
sdr_bladerf.c: In function ‘bladeRFRun’:
sdr_bladerf.c:460:39: error: ‘BLADERF_FORMAT_SC16_Q11_META’ undeclared (first use in this function)
BLADERF_FORMAT_SC16_Q11_META,
^
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
Makefile:46: recipe for target ‘sdr_bladerf.o’ failed
make[2]: *** [sdr_bladerf.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory ‘/home/pi/adsb-receiver/build/dump1090-fa/dump1090’
dh_auto_build: make -j1 RTLSDR=yes BLADERF=yes HTMLPATH=/usr/share/dump1090-fa/html DUMP1090_VERSION=3.5.0 returned exit code 2
debian/rules:23: recipe for target ‘override_dh_auto_build’ failed
make[1]: *** [override_dh_auto_build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/home/pi/adsb-receiver/build/dump1090-fa/dump1090’
debian/rules:32: recipe for target ‘build’ failed
make: *** [build] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2

dpkg: error processing archive dump1090-fa_3.5.0_.deb (–install):
dump1090-fa_3.5.0_
.deb

INSTALLATION HALTED!

Sorry for taking up so much of your time but I really want this to work. A cake and eat it too scenario. LOL

Do you use Blade RF ?

I am using a right out of the box Rasperry Pi 3, a FlightAware filter and antenna from amazon. amazon.com/gp/product/B01EX … UTF8&psc=1 I did put a better antenna and coax on it but that shouldn’t matter.

The amazon link shows that you are using FlightAware ProStick (Orange).
It is strange why you get error message for Blade RF.

The “./install.sh” script builds a .deb package from source code, then uses it to install dump1090-fa. It is failing to build the .deb package. I cannot make out the reason. The best person to shed some light on it is Oliver (obj).

A workaround to this problem is NOT to build .deb package from source code. Instead install it from already built package from apt repository. To do this run following commands:

wget http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/pool/piaware/p/piaware-support/piaware-repository_3.5.0_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i piaware-repository_3.5.0_all.deb
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install dump1090-fa
sudo reboot

1 Like

Should I do this right after the failure? And do you think that starting from ground zero with a fresh image and a modification to the variables file would be worth trying?
Thanks again,
Mike

I dont think starting from ground zero is necessary. You can right away start process to install dump1090-fa by apt-get method I have given in my last post.

To see myself what is happening, I will now format a microSD card, write Raspbian Jessie image, run automated script and try to install dump1090-fa to see what happens.

For almost a year, I have used the script only for installation of Performance Graphs and adsbexchange feeder AFTER MANUALLY INSTALLING dump1090 & data feeders.

For all my recent installs, I have not used the script for installing dump1090-fa/dump1090-mutability, and any data feeders. Instead I have used the manual method (iBake a P).

1 Like

It’s just that this script is failing to install the build prerequisites before trying to do the build. The prerequisites changed between 3.1.0 and 3.5.0. libbladerf-dev is needed because the built package includes bladerf support (even if you don’t end up using it).

Thanks Oliver for the explanation. I was surprised to see Blade RF error message.

Because the scripts are not updated lately (reason: JP not having time due to a family member’s sickness), this problem is taking place.

For this reason, for my own installs, I use manual method to install dump1090-mutability 1.15~dev/dump1090-fa, and all data feeders. After installing dump1090 and data feeders manually, I use the JP’s script ONLY for installing Performance Graphs and adsbexchange feeder (after changing Mlat Client version from 0.2.6 to current 0.2.9)

Is there a script that will add the ADS-B Receiver Project Graphs to an existing PiAware 3.5 installation? That is really what I am after.

The very script you have been using can do this provided you have installed either dump1090-fa or dump1090-mutability BEFORE running install.sh. Since Piaware 3.5.0 (SD Card image) has integral dump1090-fa, the script will sure install the Performance Graphs/Web Portal.

When install.sh is run, it will detect that dump1090-fa and Piaware data feeder (add-on) are already installed. It will ask your consent to update/upgrade these. Select YES to System update/upgrade, NO to dump1090-fa upgrade, NO to Piaware data feeder upgrade, and NO to all other data feeders. At the end it will ask for Web Portal. Say OK to Web Portal, and the script will install only web portal. This is exactly how I install Performance Graphs on my following types of installs:

(1) Piaware 3.5 SD Card image (which has integral dump1090-fa + Piaware data feeder)
(2) Raspbian Jessie image + dump1090-fa + Piaware data feeder (add-on) - all installed manually
(3) Raspian Jessie image + dump1090-mutability v1.15~dev + Piaware data feeder (add-on) - all installed manually