Dump1090-fa and Performance Graphs

Thanks for all the information. I did exactly what was instructed and the graphs are working, it looks like FA is getting the data but when I go the Live Dump1090 map in the web app, it gives me a 404 error. When I try it on the FA site it says (In Yellow at the bottom of the map):

Problem fetching data from dump1090.
AJAX call failed (error: Forbidden). Maybe dump1090 is no longer running?
The displayed map data will be out of date.

I started up dump1090 manually and it made no difference.

And of course there are no planes on the map.

Any ideas and thanks for your patience.

If you used address :8080, you will get this problem due to web portal installation. Use /dump1090-fa/ or /dump1090/

If problem is not solved, clear browser cache and reload browser.

That worked. You all are fantastic! Thank you very much. One final thing. When I did the web install at the end, I told it to use Chicago time but all the charts are showing up as UTC. Is there a way to change it to Central Time? It is not a big deal but it would make more sense to have it in my time zone.

Many thanks again!

Never mind. I actually figured that one out on my own. Some how the raspi-config ended up having no time zone selected. Once I set it for Chicago time the graphs were correct, too.

Thanks everyone for all the help,
Mike

[S O L V E D] Broken installation of dump1090-fa by JP’s Scripts [S O L V E D]
Using JP’s “ADS-B Receiver Project Setup Scripts” to install dump1090-fa is broken. Even changing version numbers in file “variables.sh” and installing dependencies “libncurses5-dev” and “libbladerf-dev” did not solve the problem.

Thanks to Oliver (obj), who pointed out that the cause is an older version (2014) of “libbladerf-dev” installed by “sudo apt-get install libbladerf-dev” command, while a newer version (2016) is required for dump1090-fa 3.5.0.

Since the Raspbian repositories dont have newer version (2016), I decided to try Flightaware repositories, expecting it will contain latest version (2016). To do this, I added Flightaware repository to my RPi’s Apt cache, and then gave command “sudo apt-get install libbladerf-dev”, which pulled and installed latest (2016) version from Flightaware repositories. Following is the step-by-step method showing how I did it.

BEFORE running the installation script “install.sh”, complete following two steps:

STEP-1
Install latest versions of dependencies from Flightaware Repository.

#Add piaware repository to your RPi's apt cache
wget http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/pool/piaware/p/piaware-support/piaware-repository_3.5.0_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i piaware-repository_3.5.0_all.deb
sudo apt-get update

#Now install dependencies required by dump1090-fa
sudo apt-get install  libbladerf-dev
sudo apt-get install libncurses5-dev

#Now check the version of libbladerf-dev installed. It should show "Installed: 2016.06+fa1"
sudo apt-cache policy libbladerf-dev

libbladerf-dev:
  Installed: 2016.06+fa1
  Candidate: 2016.06+fa1
  Version table:
 *** 2016.06+fa1 0
        500 http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/ jessie/piaware armhf Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     0.2014.09~rc2-5 0
        500 http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ jessie/main armhf Packages

STEP-2
Update version numbers of Piaware, Planefinder, and Mlat Client in file “variables.sh”

To update version numbers, edit file variables.sh and change version numbers of following software as shown in red, which are latest version numbers:

1. PIAWARE
  2. PFCLIENT
  3. MLATCLIENT

~$ sudo nano adsb-receiver/bash/variables.sh

#! / bin / bash

################################################################################## #

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

SOFTWARE VERSIONS

The ADS-B Receiver Project

PROJECTVERSION=“2.5.0”

FlightAware PiAware

PIAWAREVERSION=“3.5.0”

PlaneFinder ADS-B Client

PFCLIENTVERSIONARM=“3.7.20”
PFCLIENTVERSIONI386=“3.7.20”

Flightradar24 Linux Debian package

FR24CLIENTVERSIONI386=“1.0.18-5”

mlat-client

MLATCLIENTVERSION=“0.2.9”
MLATCLIENTTAG=“v0.2.9”

PhantomJS

PHANTOMJSVERSION=“2.1.1”

STEP-3
AFTER completing Steps (1) and (2), run the install script

cd ~/adsb-receiver
./install.sh

@ABCD … worked a treat, thanks again :slight_smile:

Great investigative work! :laughing:
Maybe abcd567’s post can be used to complete the install instructions found here?

flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/install

Sounds like a good idea. I was going to put all his advice from this thread together and could post it there??? :slight_smile:

Is there way to install performance graphs without web portal? I don´t want to ruin my piaware status page (piaware-web package) And second, skyview inside web portal looks ugly. (I know, its still possible to use skyview pi/dump1090-fa)

If i go with web portal setup, will future dump1090-fa/piaware updates ruin my setup? And I think graphs will wear SD card faster…

I also kind of miss the FA Status Page, but mostly I am annoyed by the fact that web page on 8080 port is not working anymore. I thought that I messed up my install, then I realized that 8080 direct link from web stats is the one not working.

Piaware 3.5.0 SD Card Image + Web Portal

STATUS PAGE /index.html
https://s20.postimg.org/hn8thao8t/Piaware_Satus_Page.png

SKYVIEW PAGE /dump1090-fa/
https://s20.postimg.org/igq0nnjnh/Piaware_Skyview_Page.png

NON OPERATIONAL SKYVIEW PAGE :8080
https://s20.postimg.org/t0vcshyrh/Piaware_8080_Page.png

GRAPHS PAGE /graphs.php
https://s20.postimg.org/fl8c31q9p/Piaware_Graphs_Page.png

Isn’t this easier without having to faff and keep changing the URL manually?

Map with option to load performance graphs in the bar at the top.

Yes it is, but some members dont like to see Skyview from inside Web Portal.

Sorry, missed that bit :blush:

My index shows 404 Not found

Mine does show 404 - Not found, too.
Edit: I have checked and my feeder does not seem to have the scripts needed for the graphs.
Can someone give a hint how to do it on an existing Piaware installation?

Follow instructions in the First Post of this thread.

ADS-B Receiver Project Setup Scripts

When installation starts, keep on saying NO to all options offered, till you reach the offer to install “Web Portal”. Say OK to it. The graphs are part of web portal.

Note: Dont say OK to “Advance Option” offered during web portal installation. The Advance Option results in storing the historic data, and in due course your microSD card will become full.

1 Like

^ That doesn’t bring back the /index page.

The “Piaware Status Page” (which has “Radio”, “Piaware”, “Flightaware”, and “MLAT” buttons) exists ONLY in Piaware image (SD card) installs. If it is a Raspbian image with Piaware package install, there is no “Status Page”, hence it wont show by any address.

It is simple to find which type of install one has. Check SSH console.
pi@piaware:~$ means it is Piaware SD card image, and the “Piaware Status Page” should show by /index.html
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ means it is Raspbian image, and the “Piaware Status Page” does NOT exist.

Of course it’s the Rasbian one. It’s the status page something copyrighted that cannot be put into the Debian package?