Daily Log/E-Mail Aircraft Report directly on your RaspberryPi

Danke - for the quick reply.
I personally prefer 2 lines. So for now only my SSMTP-comment remains standing… :smiley:

using smtp phpmailer lib or similar is needed and i did not want to force users to install more than my single script - same with phpexcel lib. moreover - the way i use sendmail as simple client - it’s not just simple to config - it’s zero config

Note that the ADS-B encoding of this differs from the CAT021 encoding.

1 Like

hmmm - so then posting this was wrong? but if so do you have an idea where the ads-b encoding is explained?

The categories are equivalent, I think, but the encoding is different. Look at the ADS-B specs (e.g. DO-260B) for the ADS-B encoding. ADS-B subdivides them into 4 groups (A/B/C/D). Look at the “aircraft identification and category” message.

1 Like

:slight_smile: thanx i’ll have a look into the spacs you mentioned. i found this all a little confusing because those categorys a/b/c/d are also used for airfield approach classes ?!?

found this - and add to above post: https://media.readthedocs.org/pdf/adsb-decode-guide/latest/adsb-decode-guide.pdf

Tom, is it possible to add a heading column please?

sorry - not me. i’ve added squawk for you what is similar to flight somewhat questionable because both can change over the day and this is just the last record of both. but heading would be real nonsense especially for smaller aircrafts. and i no way start to build hashes to track whether heading changes or not over the day and compute average heading. that said you always have the option to use the other script or alter the code of this script on your own.

edit: btw that kind of nonsense heading is already included as you have the first and last seen position

My daily email has stopped being sent. The zipped log file on the Raspberry Pi is still created. I’ve tried running the test function and no emails are received.

The following error has appeared in the command line:

“PHP Notice: Undefined variable: csv_array in /home/pi/ac_counter.php on line 176”

It seems to the line which starts with "print('upt(us):

I have the updated code version.

Any ideas?

did you switch ‘on’ email at all?

$user_set_array['email'] = false;

set to:

$user_set_array['email'] = true;

Yes, I have the email and log option selected.

cant reproduce this - downloaded the script here → set up settings and test mode → instantly works (email and file)

• did you reboot pi after set-up to start script new?
  • did you look into spam folder in gmail?
  • did you set up the right (your) gmail address?

Yes to all.

I have downloaded the script again and ran it and the error no longer appears.

The zipped log works but not the email.

I have checked the internet settings on the Pi

Gmail is accepting messages from my Hotmail account.

My router went down for about 3 minutes yesterday so I think that might have something to do with it.

that’s not an error - just a notice that the variable isn’t filled when script writes terminal output - but has no context with email. seems to be a problem in your home-network …

The email was sent this morning so it’s fixed.

When I set it to test mode yesterday morning the email didn’t come through.

you see above that i instantly got the emails even in test mode - so no question there is/was something wrong in your home network! but with the new extra log-file mode you lost no data anyways …

this script was especially written for the raspberry pi and gathers lots of information about the daily aircrafts your site receives without any writing to the sd-card. or extremely low sd-card writes (about 50mb/year) if you opt for daily log file additional or instead to daily email report.

one little downside - at least while the first days when you setup and maybe want to try and change some settings - is that you loose the already harvested data from this particular day. so - now yesterday evening i added some functionality to preserve this information even if you start/stop/restart the script. the already aggregated data of the day now is stored about every 5 minutes - but still does not write to sd-card and stores the data in raspberry pis memory.

in addition i wrote a little howto to run the script from a system-service (instead cron) similar to how dump/lighttpd and piaware runs on the pi. this way it is easy to start/stop/enable/disable and display status of the script.

i’ll post this today here below as a beta version
cheers
tom

p.s. if you want to reboot your pi manually - you can save the tmp-file and directly after reboot replace it to tmp-directory e.g.

before reboot:

sudo cp /run/ac_counter_tmp/ac_counter.tmp /home/pi/ac_counter_log/ac_counter.tmp

directly after reboot:

sudo systemctl stop ac_counter.service
sudo mkdir /run/ac_counter_tmp/
sudo cp /home/pi/ac_counter_log/ac_counter.tmp /run/ac_counter_tmp/ac_counter.tmp
sudo systemctl start ac_counter.service

p.p.s if you auto-reboot your pi on a daily basis then you should set rebbot time to 1-2 minutes after UTC midnight

Thanks for all the work Tom!

One suggestion would be to add the Year Month Date notation added to the aircraft.xls attachment? e.g. aircraft 2017-11-13.xls

If i download multiple day files they just stack up under aircraft(n).xls naming convention

good idea :slight_smile: cause i’m not able to alter the start post - thanx to the moron coders who tinkered discourse software - i’ll post the new script here. give feedback whether it works …

ac_counter.php

#!/usr/bin/php
<?php

#phpinfo();
#var_dump(ini_get_all());
#ini_set('error_reporting', E_ALL);

// below a sample create statement for database table
// CREATE TABLE daily_report (id INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, report_date VARCHAR(100), transponder VARCHAR(100), messages VARCHAR(100), flight VARCHAR(100), category VARCHAR(100), squawk VARCHAR(100), first_seen VARCHAR(100), first_latitude VARCHAR(100), first_longitude VARCHAR(100), first_altitude VARCHAR(100), last_seen VARCHAR(100), last_latitude VARCHAR(100), last_longitude VARCHAR(100), last_altitude VARCHAR(100), low_dist VARCHAR(100), high_dist VARCHAR(100), low_rssi VARCHAR(100), high_rssi VARCHAR(100), mlat VARCHAR(100), PRIMARY KEY (id))

// set path to aircraft.json file
$user_set_array['url_json'] = 'http://127.0.0.1/dump1090/data/';

// set email and/or logfile and/or database option to true or false
$user_set_array['email'] = false;    $user_set_array['log'] = true;
$user_set_array['database'] = false;

// set path to directory where log files to store to
$user_set_array['log_directory'] = '/home/pi/ac_counter_log/';

// default path to temporary directory where tmp files to store to
$user_set_array['tmp_directory'] = '/run/ac_counter_tmp/';

// set your google email-address daily reports to send to
$user_set_array['email_address'] = 'YOUR_EMAIL@gmail.com';

// set the absolute limit of alert-messages default is 500
$user_set_array['mailer_limit'] = 500;

// set to true for units metric instead nautical
$user_set_array['metric'] = false;

// set parameters for database connection
$user_set_array['db_user'] = 'root';    $user_set_array['db_pass'] = 'YOUR_PASSWORD';
$user_set_array['db_name'] = 'adsb';    $user_set_array['db_host'] = '127.0.0.1';

// set only to true for script function test run -> will 3 times email/log/db after about 1/2/3 minutes
$user_set_array['test_mode'] = false;

// function to compute distance between receiver and aircraft
function func_haversine($lat_from, $lon_from, $lat_to, $lon_to, $earth_radius) {
    $delta_lat = deg2rad($lat_to - $lat_from);
    $delta_lon = deg2rad($lon_to - $lon_from);
    $a = sin($delta_lat / 2) * sin($delta_lat / 2) + cos(deg2rad($lat_from)) * cos(deg2rad($lat_to)) * sin($delta_lon / 2) * sin($delta_lon / 2);
    $c = 2 * atan2(sqrt($a), sqrt(1-$a));
    return $earth_radius * $c;
}

$i = 0;
$sent_messages = 0;
$tmp_write_trigger = 0;
$hex_array = array();
$start_time = time();
date_default_timezone_set('UTC');
$seconds_of_day = time() - strtotime('today');
$user_set_array['metric'] ? $earth_radius = 6371 : $earth_radius = 3440;

// fetch receiver.json and read receiver latitude and longitude
$json_receiver_location = json_decode(file_get_contents($user_set_array['url_json'] . 'receiver.json'), true);
isset($json_receiver_location['lat']) ? $rec_lat = $json_receiver_location['lat'] : $rec_lat = 0;
isset($json_receiver_location['lon']) ? $rec_lon = $json_receiver_location['lon'] : $rec_lon = 0;

// set csv-file column header names
$csv_header = '"Transponder"' . "\t" . '"Messages"' . "\t" . '"Flight"' . "\t" . '"Category"' . "\t" . '"Squawk"' . "\t" . '"First Seen"' . "\t" . '"First Latitude"' . "\t" . '"First Longitude"' . "\t" . '"First Altitude"' . "\t" . '"Last Seen"' . "\t" . '"Last Latitude"' . "\t" . '"Last Longitude"' . "\t" . '"Last Altitude"' . "\t" . '"Low Dist"' . "\t" . '"High Dist"' . "\t" . '"Low Rssi"' . "\t" . '"High Rssi"' . "\t" . '"Mlat"' . PHP_EOL . PHP_EOL;

// at script restart try to resume with already harvested data of this day
if (file_exists($user_set_array['tmp_directory'] . 'ac_counter.tmp') && date('Ymd') == date('Ymd', filemtime($user_set_array['tmp_directory'] . 'ac_counter.tmp'))) {
    $csv_array = json_decode(file_get_contents($user_set_array['tmp_directory'] . 'ac_counter.tmp'), true);
} else {
    $csv_array = array();
}

while (true) {

$db_insert = '';
	$start_loop_microtime = microtime(true);

// write about every 5 minutes a tmp-file to preserve already harvested data of this day
	if ($tmp_write_trigger == 300 && isset($csv_array)) {
	    if (!file_exists($user_set_array['tmp_directory'])) mkdir($user_set_array['tmp_directory'], 0755, true);
        file_put_contents($user_set_array['tmp_directory'] . 'ac_counter.tmp', json_encode($csv_array), LOCK_EX);
        $tmp_write_trigger = 0;
    }
    $tmp_write_trigger++;

// at midnight generate csv-file and submit email and/or write log-file and/or database
    if ($seconds_of_day > time() - strtotime('today') || ($user_set_array['test_mode'] && ($i == 60 || $i == 120 || $i == 180))) {
        $csv = '';
        $csv .= $csv_header;
        foreach ($csv_array as $key => $value) {
            $csv .= "\"\t\0" . implode("\"\t\"", str_replace('.', ',', $value)) . "\"" . PHP_EOL;
        }
		if ($user_set_array['email'] == true && $sent_messages < $user_set_array['mailer_limit']) {
			$boundary = str_replace(' ', '.', microtime());
			$header = 'From: ' . $user_set_array['email_address'] . PHP_EOL;
			$header .= 'Reply-To: ' . $user_set_array['email_address'] . PHP_EOL;
			$header .= 'MIME-Version: 1.0' . PHP_EOL;
			$header .= 'Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="' . $boundary . '"' . PHP_EOL . PHP_EOL;
			$body = '--' . $boundary . PHP_EOL;
			$body .= 'Content-type:text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1' . PHP_EOL;
			$body .= 'Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit' . PHP_EOL . PHP_EOL;
			$body .= number_format(count($csv_array), 0, ',', '.') . ' Aircrafts @ ' . number_format(array_sum(array_column($csv_array, 'msg')), 0, ',', '.') . ' Messages - Yesterday UTC' . PHP_EOL . PHP_EOL;
			$body .= '--' . $boundary . PHP_EOL;
			$body .= 'Content-Type: application/octet-stream; name="ac_' . date('Y_m_d', time() - 86400) . '.xls"' . PHP_EOL;
			$body .= 'Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64' . PHP_EOL;
			$body .= 'Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="ac_' . date('Y_m_d', time() - 86400) . '.xls"' . PHP_EOL . PHP_EOL;
			$body .= chunk_split(base64_encode($csv)) . PHP_EOL . PHP_EOL;
			$body .= '--' . $boundary . '--';
			mail($user_set_array['email_address'], 'Daily Aircraft Stats', $body, $header);
        }
        if ($user_set_array['log'] == true) {
			$file_to_write = gzencode($csv);
			$file_name_to_write = $user_set_array['log_directory'] . 'ac_' . date('Y_m_d_i', time() - 86400) . '.xls.zip';
			if (!file_exists($user_set_array['log_directory'])) mkdir($user_set_array['log_directory'], 0755, true);
            file_put_contents($file_name_to_write, $file_to_write, LOCK_EX);
		}
        if ($user_set_array['database'] == true) {
            $sql = '';
			foreach ($csv_array as $key => $value) {
				$sql .= "INSERT INTO daily_report VALUES (NULL, '" . date('Ymd', time() - 86400) . "', '" . implode("', '", $value) . "');" . PHP_EOL;
			}
			try {
				$db = new PDO('mysql:host=' . $user_set_array['db_host'] . ';dbname=' . $user_set_array['db_name'] . '', $user_set_array['db_user'], $user_set_array['db_pass']); $db_insert = '';
				$db->setAttribute(PDO::ATTR_ERRMODE, PDO::ERRMODE_EXCEPTION);
				if ($sql) { $db->exec($sql); $db_insert = 'inserted'; }
				$db = null;
			} catch (PDOException $db_error) {
				$db_insert = PHP_EOL . $db_error->getMessage();
			}
		}
		if (!$user_set_array['test_mode']) $csv_array = array();
		$sent_messages++;
	}

// fetch aircraft.json and read timestamp
	$json_data_array = json_decode(file_get_contents($user_set_array['url_json'] . 'aircraft.json'),true);
	isset($json_data_array['now']) ? $ac_now = date("Y-m-d G:i:s l", $json_data_array['now']) : $ac_now = '';

// loop through aircraft section of aircraft.json file and generate csv_array that holds the data of whole day
	foreach ($json_data_array['aircraft'] as $row) {
		isset($row['hex']) ? $ac_hex = $row['hex'] : $ac_hex = '';
		isset($row['flight']) ? $ac_flight = trim($row['flight']) : $ac_flight = '';
		isset($row['category']) ? $ac_category = $row['category'] : $ac_category = '';
		isset($row['squawk']) ? $ac_squawk = $row['squawk'] : $ac_squawk = '';
		isset($row['altitude']) ? $ac_altitude = $row['altitude'] : $ac_altitude = '';
		isset($row['lat']) ? $ac_lat = $row['lat'] : $ac_lat = '';
		isset($row['lon']) ? $ac_lon = $row['lon'] : $ac_lon = '';
		isset($row['seen']) ? $ac_seen = $row['seen'] : $ac_seen = '';
		isset($row['rssi']) ? $ac_rssi = $row['rssi'] : $ac_rssi = '';
		isset($row['mlat']) ? $ac_mlat = implode(' ', $row['mlat']) : $ac_mlat = '';
		if ($ac_hex != '' && $ac_hex != '000000' && ($ac_seen != '' && $ac_seen < 1.2)) {
		    $csv_array[$ac_hex]['hex'] = $ac_hex;
		    isset($csv_array[$ac_hex]['msg']) ? $csv_array[$ac_hex]['msg']++ : $csv_array[$ac_hex]['msg'] = 1;
		    if (!isset($csv_array[$ac_hex]['flight']) && $ac_flight == '') { $csv_array[$ac_hex]['flight'] = ''; }
		    else if ($ac_flight != '') { $csv_array[$ac_hex]['flight'] = $ac_flight; }
		    if (!isset($csv_array[$ac_hex]['category']) && $ac_category == '') { $csv_array[$ac_hex]['category'] = ''; }
		    else if ($ac_category != '') { $csv_array[$ac_hex]['category'] = $ac_category; }
		    if (!isset($csv_array[$ac_hex]['squawk']) && $ac_squawk == '') { $csv_array[$ac_hex]['squawk'] = ''; }
		    else if ($ac_squawk != '') { $csv_array[$ac_hex]['squawk'] = $ac_squawk; }
            if (!isset($csv_array[$ac_hex]['f_see']) || $csv_array[$ac_hex]['f_see'] == '') $csv_array[$ac_hex]['f_see'] = $ac_now;
            if (!isset($csv_array[$ac_hex]['f_lat']) || $csv_array[$ac_hex]['f_lat'] == '') $csv_array[$ac_hex]['f_lat'] = $ac_lat;
            if (!isset($csv_array[$ac_hex]['f_lon']) || $csv_array[$ac_hex]['f_lon'] == '') $csv_array[$ac_hex]['f_lon'] = $ac_lon;
            if (!isset($csv_array[$ac_hex]['f_alt']) || $csv_array[$ac_hex]['f_alt'] == '') $csv_array[$ac_hex]['f_alt'] = $ac_altitude;
            if (!isset($csv_array[$ac_hex]['l_see']) && $ac_now == '') { $csv_array[$ac_hex]['l_see'] = ''; }
		    else if ($ac_now != '') { $csv_array[$ac_hex]['l_see'] = $ac_now; }
		    if (!isset($csv_array[$ac_hex]['l_lat']) && $ac_lat == '') { $csv_array[$ac_hex]['l_lat'] = ''; }
		    else if ($ac_lat != '') { $csv_array[$ac_hex]['l_lat'] = $ac_lat; }
		    if (!isset($csv_array[$ac_hex]['l_lon']) && $ac_lon == '') { $csv_array[$ac_hex]['l_lon'] = ''; }
		    else if ($ac_lon != '') { $csv_array[$ac_hex]['l_lon'] = $ac_lon; }
		    if (!isset($csv_array[$ac_hex]['l_alt']) && $ac_altitude == '') { $csv_array[$ac_hex]['l_alt'] = ''; }
		    else if ($ac_altitude != '') { $csv_array[$ac_hex]['l_alt'] = $ac_altitude; }
            $ac_lat && $ac_lon ? $ac_dist = round(func_haversine($rec_lat, $rec_lon, $ac_lat, $ac_lon, $earth_radius), 1) : $ac_dist = '';
		    if (!isset($csv_array[$ac_hex]['l_dist']) || $csv_array[$ac_hex]['l_dist'] == '') { $csv_array[$ac_hex]['l_dist'] = $ac_dist; }
		    else if ($ac_dist != '' && $csv_array[$ac_hex]['l_dist'] > $ac_dist) { $csv_array[$ac_hex]['l_dist'] = $ac_dist; }
		    if (!isset($csv_array[$ac_hex]['h_dist']) || $csv_array[$ac_hex]['h_dist'] == '') { $csv_array[$ac_hex]['h_dist'] = $ac_dist; }
		    else if ($ac_dist != '' && $csv_array[$ac_hex]['h_dist'] < $ac_dist) { $csv_array[$ac_hex]['h_dist'] = $ac_dist; }
		    if (!isset($csv_array[$ac_hex]['l_rssi'])) { $csv_array[$ac_hex]['l_rssi'] = $ac_rssi; }
		    else if ($ac_rssi != '' && $csv_array[$ac_hex]['l_rssi'] > $ac_rssi) { $csv_array[$ac_hex]['l_rssi'] = $ac_rssi; }
		    if (!isset($csv_array[$ac_hex]['h_rssi'])) { $csv_array[$ac_hex]['h_rssi'] = $ac_rssi; }
		    else if ($ac_rssi != '' && $csv_array[$ac_hex]['h_rssi'] < $ac_rssi) { $csv_array[$ac_hex]['h_rssi'] = $ac_rssi; }
		    if (!isset($csv_array[$ac_hex]['mlat']) && $ac_mlat == '') { $csv_array[$ac_hex]['mlat'] = ''; }
		    else if ($ac_mlat != '') { $csv_array[$ac_hex]['mlat'] = 'mlat'; }
            $last_run = time() - strtotime('today');
		}
	}
	$seconds_of_day = time() - strtotime('today');
	#var_dump($csv_array);

// generate terminal output and set sleep timer to get minimum a full second until next aircraft.json is ready to get fetched
    $runtime = (time() - $start_time);
    $runtime_formatted = sprintf('%d days %02d:%02d:%02d', $runtime/60/60/24,($runtime/60/60)%24,($runtime/60)%60,$runtime%60);
    ($runtime > 0) ? $loop_clock = number_format(round(($i / $runtime),6),6) : $loop_clock = number_format(1, 6);
    $process_microtime = (round(1000000 * (microtime(true) - $start_loop_microtime)));
    print('upt(us): ' . sprintf('%07d', $process_microtime) . ' - ' . $loop_clock . ' loops/s avg - since ' . $runtime_formatted . ' - run ' . $i . ' => ' . sprintf('%04d', count($csv_array)) . ' aircraft(s) @ ' . array_sum(array_column($csv_array, 'msg')) . ' msg today ' . $db_insert . PHP_EOL);
    sleep(1);
    $i++;

}

?>
1 Like