Copyrighted Pictures

Is the picture copyrighted by the Air Force or, as most government photos are, is it in the public domain as it should be. After all, the pictures are paid for by the taxpayers.

That said, credit to the photographer should still be given.

Are you referring to a photo posted in the body of message or one uploaded to the FA photo archive.

If the former, there’s no such proscription as you describe against using images that are in the public domain, such as government photos or those from Wikimedia.

Yes, the picture is public domain, BUT, the Flight Aware agreement states do not post images found on the internet.

That photo was sent to me long before it was all over the net, and I have exclusive permission to use it at will…

Again, that applies to the FA photo archives, not to the Forums.

You got a dog in this fight or are you just venting?

This is no fight, I don’t have a dog nor am I talking about images in the forum. I am talking about the images members post in the “Photos” section of this terrific site. The point is - Flight Aware’s agreement for posting images is often ignored.

Not ignoring anything, that would be improper flight planning

After looking at the photos you’ve posted to the archives I understand what the poster is saying Stephen, and he’s right.

If you didn’t take the picture, you shouldn’t be posting it, regardless of any use license you may have. That’s what Mark, Dan and the rest of the FA folk want.

I still think the intent is to have pictures posted that are not copyrighted by an individual or company. Yes, I know the policy says pictures found on the Internet should not be posted.

If I was to post a picture on the Internet on another website then if this policy is tightly interpreted I would not be able to post the picture on FlightAware because the policy says “Do not submit content you do not own (e.g. work belonging to someone else or that you found on the internet)”. If I was a bottom feeder (lawyer), I would interpret the policy to mean that I cannot post my own picture if I posted it elsewhere because the word “or” indicates that if either of the conditions in the policy are met then the picture cannot be posted. Doesn’t matter if I own the picture. It was found on the Internet so it cannot be posted on FlightAware.

I’d like to see someone from FlightAware interpret what they mean by this policy.

(Now, I know that’s an extreme example. Of course I can post my own picture if it’s posted elsewhere on the Internet. I just want to get a discussion started on the posting of pictures found on the Internet that are not copyrighted or are in the public domain.)

There are several photos posted on this site that have been circulating for sometime, and I for one post photos who have the sole intent of educational, instructional, and or representation by the said holder who has given me 100% permission to use them at will.
So long as I do not profit or monetarily gain from their disclosure it is my intention to post them per the individuals request.

All of the photos I have posted are here for that reason and shall remain unless stated otherwise by the individual who took them.

This is in full compliance set forth by FA and the copyright laws of the United States…period!!

How do you figure that?

Here’s the rules as stipulated by FA staff: " or photos with a watermark; they will be deleted.Please do not upload images you do not own" (Emphasis added!)

and

Do not submit content you do not own (e.g., work belonging to someone else or that you found on the Internet).

Seems pretty straightforward to me, don’t post photos you don’t own, regardless of how you came by them. I have tens of thousands of photos from the museum I have license to use as I see fit, but I’d never upload them here as my own. (This sentence has also done its bit in leading me to not post all the photos I might, “You grant FlightAware a worldwide, royalty-free, unlimited, irrevocable license to use, transmit, distribute, and sell any submitted content”.)

Why?

If I was to submit pitcures to FlightAware, a site that both you and I get a lot of use out off for exactly $0.00, it wouldn’t bother me one bit if the thought they could use the picture to help raise funds that in turn would allow FlightAware to keep its basic membership at $0.00, $nada, $no pay a year.

In fact, your posting, jhem, has shamed me for I haven’t been as active in uploading pictures as I should be. I need to go through my pictures and upload the best ones in the hope that FlightAware is able to use them to help keep the site free.

[quote=“damiross”]

While I have the license rights to use many photos as I see fit, I don’t have the authority to transfer those rights to others, which is what that sentence from FA seeks. In order to meet that requirement I would need to hold an irrevocable Power of Attorney from the owner for each photo, or a grant of title, not something we would normally receive as a user.

Aren’t you glad you asked?

Bottom-line seems to be, and rightfully so, that if you don’t own the image (i.e. you took the photograph or have proof that you hold the copyright) you have no right to post it here in the photos section. It’s not even debatable, not even by a master debater like you Damiross. :wink:

This is America - anything and everything can be debated. Whether it’s right to debate something is a different story.

Back on topic here, all photos I have uploaded except two are mine, so enough of this hey??

Or I’ll sick my dog on you

Yeah right…A Golden Retreiver

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I know, but I needed a way to sneak in my master debater joke, that apparently went over like a fart in church.

As long as it wasn’t wet you’re good to go!!

Yeah, they’re killers!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3049/2928198614_995c556b9b.jpg

James is that a golden or a Yellow Lab?

Cute pup.