Boeing 777 LR

THe world record 23 hour flight is underway now, and Boeing has their own flight tracker for this since it’ll be out of U.S. range most of the way from HKG to London.

right now its 1,671 mi E of Hong Kong…

just go to 777.newairplane.com and follow the links to the record flight.

bruce

Thanks for posting this info.
Any idea of the flight number???

Thanks!

Ron, :smiley: up here in Canada eh?

I have no idea. But what sucks about their tracker is that it does not update…and I dont think the position is accurate because a straight line from hong Kong will not bring you to Canada. As of now they’re up to 3550 miles.

I think the flight ident will be BOE2. Once it reaches US airspace it will appear on the map here.

It looks as though the boeing flight tracker has shown some progress with the plane’s position on the map. 777.newairplane.com

Ron, :slight_smile: up here in Canada eh ?

Well now it seems to be updating their flight tracker in “real” time. The odometer-style measure of miles flown now advances a mile about every 6 seconds or so. 4,900 miles down now. But their map is a straight line, which would be accurate if the earth were flat!

I’m not sure if this flight will go over U.S. airspace. I thought it was to go across Canada. Maybe if it does, it might only be a fly-by of Seattle. but even so, it may be after sundown there.

bruce

Not only will it be dark here in Seattle by that time, it’s also quite overcast, so FlightAware is pretty much the only way I’ll be able to ‘see’ it fly over. :wink:

Thanks to mduell for the flight number. Flight BOE2 is now being tracked on Flightaware’s system.

Ron, :laughing: up here in Canada, eh ??

It seems that the flightaware system picked it up after it crossed the international date line…very cool.

but now why does the info page still show the plane as “arrived” and not the current flight’s info like departure from VHHH…it shows that it departed and landed at Grant County. But the tracking map has the current.

bruce

I’m not sure why, but we never received a flight plan for it (sometimes we do when a flight is transiting US airspace, sometimes we don’t), so you’ll only see it on the map.

ohhh ok. that makes sense, there probably isn’t a flight plan because its probably not crossing US airspace. But its nice to see it tracked!

bruce

The route for BOE2’s VHHH-EGLL flight is:

LOGSU..4900N/05000W..5000N/04000W..5200N/03000W..5300N/02000W..MALOT.UL9.BURAK.UL9.STU.UP2.NUMPO.Y3.NIGIT

22h22min en route.

BOE2 is now in radar contact, so we’re getting a new position every minute.

Looks like they took a northerly course to catch some great winds over the Pacific (~85 kt tailwind), but now they’re heading over the US.

Looks to me like it took a pretty sharp turn to the south…its showing up on the activity map for KSFO and still heading south. That’s quite a departure from when it looked like it was headed for Vancouver! I can only assume they’re trying to ride the jetstream.

This is one instance where a zoomable map would really help…when this plane goes into the crowded LAX airspace the ID track gets lost among all those others…

bruce

Here’s Boeing’s web site for the flight. A very cool site.

http://www.777.newairplane.com/

agreed I like all the features :wink: