BAW in Goose Bay?

Look at today’s flight to Denver…Weird stuff.

flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW219

Why would a T7 make a technical, or otherwise STOP in CYYR?

-E94

Could be that the aircraft was too heavy to make it LHR nonstop. It could also be that YYR is used as a fictitious destination for alternate airport purposes. A pilot or air traffic controller would be able to better explain this better.

Goose Bay CYYR is used on a regular basis by airlines who have a medical emergency when a passenger gets sick and the pilot needs to land at the nearest suitable airport. Since CYYR has a nice long runway at 11,046 feet and is on the track of many flights from USA to Europe they get a lot of aircraft stopping with medical emergencies. There are also a lot of smaller medevac (medical evacuation) flights that fly into CYYR to then take the patient back to their home hospital. These medevac flights would have paramedics on board to watch over the patients on their flight. The Learjet seems to be a popular jet for medevac charter flights but I have seen all kinds of small charter jets flying into CYYR. Hope this answers your question.

Look at the airport arrivals and departures for CYYR and you will see CFICU which is one of those medevac charter jets. CFGWT is also a medevac aircraft but it flies mostly local medevac flights within Newfoundland and Labrador.

Also listed as a recent visitor to CYYR is CFZQP which is another medevac Learjet based either at CYUL or CYYZ and does a lot of trips to CYYR.

to paraphrase Forrest Gump:
“Diversions happen”
I was on a BA 777 last summer from DFW to Gatwick. We diverted to Toronto to uhh, “let off” (with assistance from the Pearson airport police and Canadian Immigration) a passenger that apparently didn’t like the food. I hope they at least sent her a bill for the 6 minutes of fuel dumping we had to do. I tried a websearch for any news of the incident a few days later and could not find anything about it. I guess diversions are considered routine if no shots are fired!

I was headed to Gatwick on AAL 80 on 3/16 when we diverted to Logan for a medical emergency … a passenger who had a first-time grand mal seizure.

FlightAware shows it as an interesting flight plan:

flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL80

They happen much more than many think; with all the passengers flying every day, the odds are that there are going to be a good deal of medical emergencies. But like go arounds, they always seem exciting when you are a part of them, but they are common enough to not be newsworthy.