ATA 7162 - what is it?

I was at the Notre Dame game today when I saw an ATA 757 on final to SBN. I know ATA doesn’t fly into SBN. I later checked here and found it to be AMT 7162. Does anybody know what the flight was, or what the 7xxx flight number is for? My guess is it’s a charter of some sort. Looking at the history, it looks like this flight has also been flown using L1011 equipment. I didn’t know ATA still flew Tri-Stars.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AMT7162/history/20061118/1954Z/KIND/KSBN

Thats funny, I was outside the stadium at the notre dame game today. We brought some folks in yesterday and we had a layover in beautiful sunny South Bend Indiana all day. woopee. Can you feel my excitement? I can see the airport from my luxury accomodations at America’s Best Inn and Suites. (they should really get a new name… its a craphole.) Alas, I cannot see any 757’s.

Anyway, I just checked the history for SBN. I checked the departures and found flightaware.com/live/flight/AMT5 … /KSBN/KSWF
which must be the Army team returning to West Point?

Haha, yea… South Bend isn’t exactly the most exciting city to have an all day layover in. It’s been pretty depressing weather wise all week - cold, overcast, rainy. I’m guessing the craphole wasn’t cheap either, considering it’s a football weekend.

I bet your right that the flight was for the Army Team. This was yesterday afternoon:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/AMT5245/history/20061117/1625Z/KSWF/KSBN

That must have been the Army Team flying in. 5xxx must be charter flights, and I’m guessing that 7xxx, which I saw, was a repositioning flight.

It looks like they might still use the L-1011’s for charters. I wonder how much it costs to charter an L-1011. I’m sure it’d be way beyond what my checkbook could finance, but that’d be pretty sweet to ride a Tri-Star.

I’d put my money on Army. When they came to SAT to play Texas A&M, they chartered an ATA 752.

The flight up to Indianapolis was a ferry flight, meaning no passengers, the plane was repositioning up to South Bend for a military charter.

It looks like they might still use the L-1011’s for charters. I wonder how much it costs to charter an L-1011. I’m sure it’d be way beyond what my checkbook could finance, but that’d be pretty sweet to ride a Tri-Star.

ATA’s L1011’s are now exclusively used on military charters, no longer can they are they used for private charters or scheduled service.