Today we are pleased to announce the release of PiAware 5!
Things to note:
· 978 installations are strongly encouraged to upgrade; this version fixes a bug affecting all older versions that produces garbage messages
· 1090 installations should see a slightly increased message/position rate
· 1090 installations will see increased CPU; this is an expected consequence of the improvements made above
· New SkyAware URL: /skyaware or :8080 . If you only have dump978 installed, you will continue to use /skyaware978 which has the latest features
· The existing /dump1090-fa/ and /skyaware978/ maps and URLs are still available, although will be deprecated in a later release as we work towards one SkyAware package containing all the front end interface
· PiAware 5 will be the last version to support Raspbian Jessie OS. Upstream support has stopped and no longer has security fixes, updates, etc.
· If you are using upintheair.json feature, you will need to add your json to /usr/share/skyaware/html/ to get this to work with the new merged map
How to Upgrade
- Existing SD card installs: Select “Upgrade and Restart PiAware” via your My ADS-B stats page Site Configuration menu (gray gear icon)
- Existing Package installs: Select Upgrade PiAware AND Upgrade dump1090-fa and/or dump978-fa via your My ADS-B stats page Site Configuration menu (gray gear icon)
- PiAware 5 SD card download is here.
- PiAware 5 LCD SD Card download is here
· New Altitude, Speed, Aircraft Ident, and Aircraft Type filters to fine tune the select aircraft you want see
· Ability to toggle visibility of ADS-B, MLAT, UAT, TIS-B, and Other aircraft on SkyAware using the check boxes under the aircraft table
· Ability to show Aircraft Ident labels for all aircraft on your display (found in the View Toggles list in the settings menu)
· A merged SkyAware map of 1090 and UAT aircraft for those with dual 1090/978 setups.
· Direct link on the SkyAware map to go to your My ADS-B statistics page on FlightAware.com or a direct link to claim your receiver if it has not been claimed (SD card installs only)
· Bold aircraft Idents are used to indicate tail numbers in the aircraft table rather than using the previous prepended underscore syntax
dump1090: limesdr: use --gain value if --limesdr-gain is not specified
dump1090: Switch sample-conversion DSP code to use starch. Provide NEON implementations for ARM when the hardware supports it. Update 8-bit unsigned zero offset to reflect actual rtlsdr behavior. This gives a substantial speedup to sample processing for the 12/16-bit case, and a small speedup for the 8-bit case. Default wisdom provided for arm, aarch64, and x86; see the README for details on generating hardware- specific wisdom files.
dump1090: Make console stats display fixed-width (courtesy @gtjoseph)
--json-stats-every option to control the update cycle of
dump1090: Don’t expire data when reading a capture at full speed via
dump1090: Count received messages for each DF type, emit in console stats /
dump1090: Write final stats.json on process exit (mostly useful for
dump1090: Attempt to correct DF11/17/18 messages where the DF field itself is damaged. This requires a lot more CRC checks when receiving messages off-the-air, but slightly increases the decode rate for DF11/17/18.
dump1090: Add a
--no-fix-df option to disable the extra DF field correction, for cases where the extra messages are not worth the extra CPU
dump1090: Track recently-seen DF18 addresses, but only count them as recently-seen for DF18 decoding, not for Mode S / DF17
--stats-every intervals of less than 1 minute correctly
dump1090: Don’t erroneously consider ICAO 000000 as “recently seen” when decoding
dump1090: Fix rare hang (1 in 1e9) in FIFO code due to an off-by-one error in normalize_timespec
dump1090: Correctly expire stale emergency, nac_v data (courtesy @wiedehopf, issue #96)
dump1090: Fix FIFO bounded memory leak / effective reduction in size of the FIFO, triggered if the demodulator couldn’t keep up with the input rate
dump1090: Set at least airground = AG_UNCERTAIN for airborne position messages with valid altitudes (issue #113)
view1090: Interactive mode enhancements to show min/max RSSI, distances (courtesy @gtjoseph, PR #81)
view1090: Fix table alignment with
--interactive-ttl > 99 (courtesy @MavEtJu, PR #99)
view1090: Tweak Mode column to display more data-source info
view1090: Fix librtlsdr output interfering with interactive mode display (courtesy @VasiliyTurchenko, PR #116)
Fix linking against NetBSD curses library (courtesy @jvanwouw, PR #111)
dump978: Fix bugs in the FEC library that could incorrectly mark uncorrectable messages as successfully corrected.
dump978: Add a new network message format for metadata-only messages. This format should be silently ignored by legacy clients; it can be disabled entirely by using the
dump978: On new network connections, emit a metadata message containing decoder name and version, and a flag indicating the FEC fixes are present
faup978: Report software name/version/FEC fix flag upstream when known