Announcing PiAware 5!

Yes I am. I haven’t seen any significant change in cpu.

what is the location of the index.html now in piaware 5?
edited the file in /usr/share/dump1090-fa/html/index.html but had no effect …

for package installations can we not simply “sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y”

I’ll say “me too”.

My sites are difficult to access - not only the sites that require crossing international borders (haven’t visited them for over a year).
For those of us running remote sites, we need to be very confident of an upgrade to risk a site being off-line for months.

Also, the notification panel can’t be closed. Pressing the X doesn’t seem to do anything.
(Edit: Fixed - thanks.)

1 Like

Well spotted.
Do you see and improvement in Positions Received etc? (probably too early to tell)

airspy mini here. about 2% increase on my Raspberry Pi 3B.
dump1090-localhost-cpu-24h
on Raspberry pi 3B with RTL-SDR the ADS-CPU utilization increases by around 12%
dump1090-localhost-cpu-24h_ADSB1

@TomMuc
Check this file

/usr/share/skyaware/html/index.html

1 Like

Curious if you tried your own Wisdom file generation to see if that changes CPU? (I’m running the benchmark now on my test station but… it takes a long time to complete. I’m using net only mode with airspy so I don’t think a wisdom file will change anything).

After initial update to 5.0, I did a fresh apt --reinstall of dump1090-fa which overwrote my /etc/default/dump1090-fa config and that’s where I noticed the “if wisdom file exists then…” config option. Curious if people generating their own files will see much difference in performance or CPU utilization.

It’s probably not the wisdom file (though no harm in trying it) - the defaults are tuned for a 4B and 0W, and should behave similarly on a 3B.

The CPU increase is elsewhere in the decoder, it’s doing a lot more CRC work now. (In my tests I saw perhaps a 30% relative increase in CPU, interesting to see that some sites are seeing as much as a 100% increase - I suspect it depends a lot on how noisy your RF environment is and how many false positive preambles you see)

2 Likes

Jetvisions Radarcape/Airsquitter users are also still on V4.0 without upgrade option. This need to be released by Jetvision, can take a few months.

However the local status page on these devices are still “green”, it’s simply a check if the service is running (or not)

But i agree, also the message regarding “anomalies” is misleading.
The device runs without issues, even on an older version.

Have the Microsoft repositories been removed as part of the changes to 5.0?

MS repositories have nothing to do with piAware. They’ve been added by Raspbian, as part of the core distribution … See this blog post.

1 Like
pi@piaware:~ $ ls -l /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
total 12
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  70 Mar 11 14:06 piaware-buster.list
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 198 Mar 11 14:38 raspi.list
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  38 Mar 11 17:09 rb24.list

pi@piaware:~ $ ls -l /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/
total 4
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1155 Mar 11 14:35 flightaware-archive-keyring.gpg

pi@piaware:~ $ cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list
cat: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vscode.list: No such file or directory

pi@piaware:~ $ curl -s http://packages.microsoft.com/repos/code/dists/stable/main/binary-arm64/Packages | grep "^Package: " | cut -d" " -f2 | sort -u
code
code-exploration
code-insiders

On the piaware sd-card image they have been removed if i’m not mistaken.

But if you’re on Raspberry OS / Raspbian and are just installing piaware then no it won’t be removed because they very correctly won’t mess with your system.

Let me check with the Web folks on this

1 Like

If you are using a piaware 4.0 or older sdcard install, and you had previously upgraded raspberrypi-sys-mods yourself (which installed the microsoft repository), and you have not modified that configuration, then upgrading to 5.0 will comment out the microsoft repository config.

If you are using a piaware 4.0 or older sdcard install, and you had not previously upgraded raspberrypi-sys-mods yourself, then upgrading to 5.0 will install a placeholder file to prevent a future upgrade of raspberrypi-sys-mods from installing the microsoft repository config.

If you are using a fresh install of the 5.0 sdcard image, the microsoft repository config is not included (and the installed version of raspberrrypi-sys-mods is past the version which would try to do the install)

If you’re not using the piaware sdcard image, then repository management is up to you, piaware doesn’t touch it.

2 Likes

as always :slight_smile: thank you abcd567! have a good one.

cheers
tom

As per the developer, depending on your installation type, PiAware does in fact effect configured repositories.

@obj Thank you for the detailed information as well as the excellent PiAware update.

2 Likes

Indeed. I’m no longer reporting dozens of UAT positions per day at 2,000 to 7,000 miles away since upgrading to 5.0. That was annoying! Thanks for the fix.
chrome_tXjq8VBdwp

2 Likes