Alerts for aircrafttype inbound/outbound from airport

I think it would be nice to be alerted when a specific kind of aicrafttype is inbound or outbound from an airport.

So if you are interested in seeing that elusive Antonov or L-1011, etc, you could get notified when one of any carrier/flight number is scheduled?

thanks

• liem

I’d like to second this suggestion. I live near a smaller airport (CYWG) and the only heavies we see are usually diversions. It would be great to be able to specify a number of aircraft types (A30*, A310, A33*, A34*, A380 (wishful thinking), B74*, B76*, B77*, A124), or even just all “heavies” and have an alert whenever one of them shows up in a flight plan to/from CYWG.

Thanks for the great site!

Excellent idea!

I have to agree, also.

Not a bad idea at all!

Just wanted to bump this.

I’d love to be able to get an alert when a specific aircrafttype is inbound or outbound to a particular airport. Makes for getting photos of some of those elusive aircraft a lot easier.

I missed an L-1011 at KSEA this morning, would have love to had a bead on it, but its flight # was unique to that flight only.

BTW, would the subscription-based API allow me to do this myself?

thanks

• liem

Yes, indirectly. You could query all of the inbound aircraft to an airport at regular intervals. It would come to about $50/mo to query the arrivals for a large airport every hour.

Instead of starting ANOTHER thread about ideas for the alerts, I will just add my thought here.

What about being able to set an alert to come to (for example) my cell phone at a certain point during the flight? Basically, what I would like to do is set an alert to come when a flight is 20 minutes from the ETA. This is handy for knowing when friends/relatives are coming in a little more accurately and you can plan your day around it.

Oh, and can I have this feature available by Friday afternoon? :laughing: :wink:

Sure, buy an iPhone tomorrow and you can use its almost-complete web browser to watch FlightAware on Friday! :wink:

mduell, you have $600 I can “borrow”?

I promise to repay you, unless I forget to, or just decide not to…

OK, in somewhat seriousness though, would/could this be an option in the future?

Of course it’s possible, but not in the immediate future due to back-end changes needed.

I told my wife she needed some back end changes. Man did that hurt when she hit me…

Anyway, thanks mduell! I fully expect that feature to be available by March 17th, 2025. :smiley:

While we are on the topic of text alerts, heads up for Cingular users. I just found out that the “cingularme.com” has changed to txt.att.net. If for some reason you no longer get alerts, and you are on the old cingular system, try switiching you "yournumber"@txt.att.net