ADS-B Receiver Project Setup Scripts

Is it possible to only install the graphs in for example the /var/www/html directory without using the script.
I tried this script with my existing piaware installation (installed trough apt-get) but is messes things up, even if I don’t select anything of the options besides the web portal.

I basicly only want the graphs

Thanks in advance

Just want to let everyone know I am back. There has been a new release made available earlier this week and I have been under the scenes working on the next generation/iteration of the project. I would like to apologize for the lack of participation in my own project during this down time. Not going to get into things anymore than to say I wouldn’t wish Alzheimer’s and the effects on a family on my worst enemy.

Today I fixed an issue pertaining to dump1090-fa. Anyone currently using the 2.6.1 image is asked to run the following commands in order to resolve a problem installing dump1090-fa if they encounter issues installing it.

cd ~/adsb-receiver
git pull
sudo ./install

At that time chose to install/reinstall dump1090-fa.

This will update the scripts allowing it to install the latest version of dump1090-fa without errors. A new image release containing fixes needed to install dump1090-fa is on its way hopefully by late Sunday evening. (it would be today but I have responsibilities I cannot dodge with family and friends) but changes are in the master branch!

I have been gone awhile and a new release or two has been offered since my last time here. If the fine folks at FlightAware allows it I will be more than happy to continue once again to answer question or support issues here, in this thread, as well as the project’s GitHub and official site.

3 Likes

@jprochazka

Welcome back!

1 Like

https://www.swiftbyte.com/articles/software-defined-radio/using-collectd-and-dump1090-tools-to-monitor-dump1090-mutability

Although I haven’t updated that since October 2015.

If you want to dig into things yourself take a look at dump1090-tools created by obj and do it yourself.

There is a lot that needs to be setup including dump1090-tools, collectd, a web server, and cronjobs as well as all their dependancies. IMO your better off to try and download the scripts and install the only portal if anything to make sure things work. Honestly setting up the graphs was what started the project off in the first place. If you stuck to the normal PiAware installation process there should not be an issue other than you access the web based interface using default http port 80. however, I have not yet tested it against the PiAware image as of late. This being said I will give it a try once I have completed what needs to be done pertaining to the project and let you know.

@abcd567 keep it up!

Thanks for the help in my absence!
Your contributions have been helpful getting things up to date as of late.

About 2 hrs ago installed following on my Windows 8.1 computer

1. Oracle VM Virtual Box
    Download page: Downloads – Oracle VM VirtualBox

2. 2017-06-22-rpd-x86-jessie
    Download Page: Index of /rpd_x86/images/rpd_x86-2017-06-23
    Direct Download link: http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/rpd_x86/images/rpd_x86-2017-06-23/2017-06-22-rpd-x86-jessie.iso

Right now in process of installing following using ADSB Project Scripts:

1. dump1090-fa or dump1090-mutability
  2. Piaware, FR24, Planefinder, and Adsbexchange data feeders
  3. Web Portal

The installation of dump1090-fa failed to build .deb package. :frowning:
The installation of dump1090-mutability succeeded. :smile:
Installation of Piaware, FR24, Planefinder, Adsbexchange succeeded. :smile:
Installation of Web Portal succeeded. :smile:

Dump1090-mutability Map is showing “Ajax call failed” :frowning:
Piaware is complaining “No ADS-B data program seen listning at port 30005” :frowning:

Struggling to debug.
Will update when something comes up. Hard to debug at this hour, feeling sleepy.

1 Like

OK found the problem. In Settings, no USB device was included in the list of USB devices.
Included RTL2838UHIDIR (Generic DVB-T), re-booted and all is working OK. :smile:
The failure of building .deb package of dump1090-fa is yet to be debugged.

VM-Raspbian x86 - 25

1 Like

for some reason the 2 ~dev files not created under Lubuntu 17.01
I had same problem with dump1090-mutability (haven’t tried -fa)
I solved it - unorthodox way - by getting from another VM debian x64 the two files
/adsb-receiver/build/dump1090-mutability/ dump1090-mutability_1.15~dev_amd64.deb and
/adsb-receiver/build/dump1090-mutability/ dump1090-mutability_1.15~dev_amd64.changes

@jprochazka

Thanks for the info, I wil probably try a New instal using. You’re scripts :slight_smile:

What is going on here?

The package “postfix” could not be installed in 5 attempts.

RESOLVED: won’t work as receiver project uses dump1090-tools to get the data.
Trying to figure out how to get the Dump1090 Graphs to work on an installation of the SDRPlay RSP1A 1090dump. The cpu, temp and all the other graphs are working but I’m not quite sure what’s supposed to feed the dump performance graphs.

The dump1090 has a line for the html link as follows:
–html-dir [dir] where [dir] as base directory for the internal HTTP server. Defaults to ./public_html and I tried changing it to --html-dir ~/adsb-receiver/build/portal/html, which didn’t make any difference. I also get (404 – Not Found) when trying to switch over to the dump1090.php

Currently the setup is dump1090_1.3 (the SDRplay version of mutability) with PiAware 3.5.3 add-on and the graphs only option from the Receiver Project on Stretch lite. I did notice during installation that Joe’s scripts didn’t actually see any dump program.

If I link to it through VRS I see all the planes + MLAT feed just fine.

Thanks for your answer, I know I come back late on it. This is because I was able to setup and run the pi from a small cheap ssd who was leftover from some other projects. It was running fine for 18months without even thinking about it. (and therefore I was not checking back in the forum for long time).
At the moment there is one with the plain flightaware sd and a second with the fr24 sd running to keep my accounts open. I am very pleased with your suggestion of the WD Pi hdd and I will try that out as soon I have a little bit more „PlayTime“ besides my work.
Thanks again for your work and sharing it with the av geeks around the world.

Jan

I forgot how to change the associated receivers based on their serials. I want the FA ProStick Plus (serial 00001000) to be on dump1090-fa and the generic one (serial 00001001) on dump978.

LE: I have read the actual script and I saw that it associates automatically the first serial to the dump978. So I have changed the serial on that dongle from 1001 to 0010.
But now, the dump978 doesn’t seem to run - not consistently. I get the “Problem fetching data from dump978.” every few seconds or so.

@SoNic67

IF first serial number is picked by dump978, then the numbers should be like this:

Generic for dump978: 00001000
ProStick for dump-fa: 00001001

OR

Generic for dump978: 00000000
ProStick for dump-fa: 00000001

I did change the serial numbers and wrote the serials down.
Then with “sudo systemctl status dump1090-fa -l” I can see which one was used by the dump1090-fa.
The receivers where still in the “wrong” order.
So this is what I did:
“sudo nano /etc/default/dump1090-fa” followed by “sudo systemctl restart dump1090-fa”.
There I have changed the “–device-index 0” to the index of the FA Pro Stick (it was 1, made it 0).
Then moved on the folder for dump978 and edited the file
“sudo nano /home/pi/adsb-receiver/build/dump978/dump978-maint.sh” where i replaced “rtl_sdr -d 1” (the device was 0, made it 1),

I recently upgraded my install the 2.6.2, somehow I’ve lost the CPU Core temp in the graphs. I run on an old laptop, i386 everything else is working. i suspect the issue might be in collectd.conf, can anyone point me where to look?

Thanks!

@pmcgeorge

This problem also appeared on OrangePi PC / Armbian, and a workaround was found. You may try it, but as your install is different, it may or may not work for you. Please see issue “(2) temprature graph was empty” in following post:

Hmm

Looks like the script checks for RPI or CHIP and if it isn’t one of these it doesn’t add the CPU temp into collectd.conf I added the following and it looks like its working again. Thanks!

<Plugin table>
	<Table "/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp">
		Instance localhost
		Separator " "
		<Result>
			Type gauge
			InstancePrefix "cpu_temp"
			ValuesFrom 0
		</Result>
	</Table>
</Plugin>

Great!
The 2.6.2 image available on adsb-project GitHub site is only for arm and type .img , not .iso.
How did you install it on i386 machine?

installed from Source on Github. Been doing it this way for quite a while, since around v2 of the script…