ADS-B Receiver Project Setup Scripts

Update: I can run “http://10.10.10.16/dump1090/gmap.html
Which is working, loading map, range and terrain rings and tracking planes, but not feeding to FlightAware.

Thank you!
Going to try that method on a clean Jessie image.
Do I still need to install PiAware or would the dump1090-mutability script take care of it?

@MikeMathee
No you will be asked what you want to install during setup.

I can’t build the actual version of dump1090-fa, it crashes due a missing key to sign files:

dpkg-buildpackage: binary-only upload (no source included)
signfile dump1090-fa_3.1.0_armhf.changes
gpg: skipped “Oliver Jowett oliver@mutability.co.uk”: secret key not available
gpg: dpkg-sign.We3WD223/dump1090-fa_3.1.0_armhf.changes: clearsign failed: secret key not available

dpkg-buildpackage: error: failed to sign .changes file

Any suggestions ?

Actual git colone …

First off, Joe - a hearty thanks for your time and effort spent keeping this project up to date and working well. I know it can be a thankless job at times and I’m sure I can speak for many of us by passing you gratitude

Secondly, I have a hypothetical question which a few may also have (and perhaps already answered?): If one were to choose to build up a new sd card with the latest and greatest, what should one copy/rsync/etc. from the existing setup to the new setup to retain their previous collectd data so the plots aren’t starting over? Or - is it not advised?

Thanks, and well done sir.

@jprochazka

Yes those are my settings. I have configured and reconfigured.

The log shows continuous error about every few seconds:
2016-09-30 01:06:13.469406 -] Failed TCP connection to all provided addresses for: tcp address: 127.0.0.1:tcp port: 30005

This is not your problem, I have gone over there for some help. I just don’t know!

Thanks for checking things out!

@jcinnb
If you are using dump1090-mutability, then run

sudo dpkg-reconfigure dump1090-mutability

Then when you reach setting where it says “leaving blank will bind to all addresses”, usually by default it has a value “127.0.0.1” or “0.0.0.0”. Remove all values and leave it blank. Continue configuration till dialouge closes, then reboot.

All squared away. Thank you all for all the help. :smiley:

How, formating & fresh install, or debugging existing install, or reconfiguration?

Both, ultimately. My ports were set ok, just kept getting the TCP problem, but I did find two PLANEFINDER files, actually three, in a directory, I know longer remember. Two were orig and (1) , the third had a similar, but slightly different number after it. I got rid of the dupe first, then chose one of the similare ones, hoping that either was clogging the port in use. Did not work,

so …

this morning I once again, went the burned image way, well, burned Jessie lite and then used the instructions for “semi automatic” tht you provided. Had to make the change to the dump1090-fa, but that worked. Biggest issue this morning was getting wifi started on the new card. Old house, few outlets, less space. But I got it.

At this point, have three range circles but no limits, will work on that some but now, just glad to be back on line by about 10:00 this morning.

I think, when all is said and done, I remember, vaguely, something that did not seem right the previous installation of the feeders. The first time i did it, based on your advice last week, and what I did this morning seemed the same. What I did 2/3 days ago (don’t remember for sure) (which caused ultimately a problem) does not appear to be quite the same.

Anyway, I appreciate your and Joe’s help.

Getting ready to do some work on gain, now!

It is painful to post yet another reply asking for help, but again I am stumped. I seem to be unable to get the terrain rings once I have upgraded.

I know @abcd has provided lots of instruction on doing this, i have tried to follow it all.

I have modified the file to account for variable colors, AND i have tried to copy the upintheair.json file from the orig-html file and yesterday/this morning have tried put the upintheair.json file in the html sub directory by wget.

I have in both instances found the file in the html directory with the ls command

I have then restarated dump1090-fa

Still no terrain rings. Here is what I have done this morning:

pi@raspberrypi:/usr/share/dump1090-fa/html $ sudo wget -O /usr/share/dump1090-fa/html/upintheair.json ‘‘http://www.heywhatsthat.com/api/upintheair.json?id=LR0JROKT&refraction=0.25&alts=6096,9144,12192’’
[1] 22168
[2] 22169
pi@raspberrypi:/usr/share/dump1090-fa/html $ --2016-10-02 13:09:18-- heywhatsthat.com/api/upinthe … d=LR0JROKT
Resolving heywhatsthat.com)… 69.39.100.106
Connecting to heywhatsthat.com)|69.39.100.106|:80… connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 200 OK
Length: 0 [text/plain]
Saving to: ‘/usr/share/dump1090-fa/html/upintheair.json’

/usr/share/dump1090 <=> ] 0 --.-KB/s in 0s

2016-10-02 13:09:18 (0.00 B/s) - ‘/usr/share/dump1090-fa/html/upintheair.json’ saved [0/0]

[1]- Done sudo wget -O /usr/share/dump1090-fa/html/upintheair.json ''http://www.heywhatsthat.com/api/upintheair.json?id=LR0JROKT
[2]+ Done refraction=0.25
pi@raspberrypi:/usr/share/dump1090-fa/html $ sudo service dump1090-fa restart
pi@raspberrypi:/usr/share/dump1090-fa/html $ ls
config.js flags-tiny jquery orig-script.js spinny.gif
db formatter.js layers.js planeObject.js style.css
dbloader.js images markers.js registrations.js test
flags.js index.html ol3 script.js upintheair.json

I have also cleared cache and refreshed and then exited and started dump1090-fa html map. Just planes and range rings. I have rebooted but with the same results.

Perhaps the portion of the script in red is the culprit. I do lack formal training in programming, but 0s (0 seconds, maybe) appears troubling.

Thanks a lot for any and all advice on this.

Just my 2 cents worth re this. I followed Joes install instructions to the tee. Downloaded the correct image that I wanted to run, FA or muta (this actually worked with both image files.) Transferred onto a clean micro sd card, as per instructions. Went through the install process. Updating system files, muta etc. Didn’t have to do anything re heywhatsthat apart from what was asked during the install procedure (instaling range rings, supplying my heywhatsthat profile id etc. It installs fairly quickly. At the completion of the initial install. Ran insstall sh again to install flightaware, adsb exchange and the web portal. Again following all requests, I didn’t install the advanced web portal (defaults to a no response there). At the end, as per instructions, fired up my local net address/install, ran the install admin for the portal and answered all questions or my preferences there. Finished up with a working FA or muta 1090 with working graphs and map, links to stats for FA and ADSb exchange link.

Then I carefully followed ABCD’s install procedure for extra range rings, colour etc, only modifying the required lines, backing up the html dir etc. Again a fairly quick process. And after following that to a tee, had the amended map features working well. I must say, I have had a few problems trying to install those colorful extras prior to the 2.04 versions, but since that release, a not a problem installing the extras. I didn’t have to copy any files from anywhere old directories etc, you must start with a clean micro sd card and image file 2.04, as per instructions. This is a major change which installs a number of update features to enable future updates to be a lot simpler but I believe it has to be done on a clean micro sd card, it has worked for me. :slight_smile:

Still running v2.0.2 , no issues at all, held off upgrading so far.

@jlb56

I appreciate your input. My intention was to do EXACTLY as you did. Started clean, chose the 1090DUMP-FA option rather than mutability this time. EVERYTHING went excellent except for these terrain rings. I agree, a clean card is essential.

I really thought I did it exact, but if yours worked, I must have messed up.

Maybe I will start from scratch, again, tomorrow.

Again, thanks for your thoughts.

I was thinking since my post, abcd has so many posts about getting the bling into your dump 1090, this is the one I used successfully;

https://discussions.flightaware.com/post198256.html#p198256” (copy and paste)

starting here,

Change color of distance circles to alternating red & blue posted Posted: 12 Sep 2016, 17:00

and

To give different colors to Terrain Limit Rings, edit file script.js: Posted: 13 Sep 2016, 03:16

I also started a word document where I cut and paste posts like these, that I have successfully used to modify something, the key word successful, that may need to be used again down the track, to modify something again. Sure saves a lot of searching and if it worked once and if done the same way, should work again :slight_smile:

Jeff

Busy with a clean install of the v2.4.0 Mutability scripts.
What details should I enter on this page of the Web Portal, during advanced features database setup.
http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af169/MhVW/Details.jpg

During the script installation I used the following:
Database Type: MySql
Hosted where: Local
MySql Root Password: *****
Admin User: root
Admin Password: *****
Database name: ADSB_DB
User for Database: mhmt
Database Password: *****

Are these details what I need to enter on the Web Portal?
Meaning that I’ll have to choose a 6-digit password during the script installation?

@jcinnb
It seems the upintheair.json file you downloaded is BLANK (Size Zero Bytes).
This normally happens when

(a) The wget command link is broken in two lines, not one continuous line
OR
(b) Incorrect heywhatsthat ID is used.

From your output, it seems case (a) i.e. wget command broken in two lines. This happens in copy paste of long lines.
Your command executed in two parts (it was broken just after your ID at the word refraction). I have colored red one part, and green the other part.

pi@raspberrypi:/usr/share/dump1090-fa/html $ sudo wget -O /usr/share/dump1090-fa/html/upintheair.json ‘‘http://www.heywhatsthat.com/api/upintheair.json?id=LR0JROKT&refraction=0.25&alts=6096,9144,12192’’
[1] 22168
[2] 22169
pi@raspberrypi:/usr/share/dump1090-fa/html $ --2016-10-02 13:09:18-- http://www.heywhatsthat.com/api/upintheair.json?id=LR0JROKT
Length: 0 [text/plain]
Saving to: ‘/usr/share/dump1090-fa/html/upintheair.json’

/usr/share/dump1090 <=> ] 0 --.-KB/s in 0s

2016-10-02 13:09:18 (0.00 B/s) - ‘/usr/share/dump1090-fa/html/upintheair.json’ saved [0/0]

[1]- Done sudo wget -O /usr/share/dump1090-fa/html/upintheair.json "http://www.heywhatsthat.com/api/upintheair.json?id=LR0JROKT
[2]+ Done refraction=0.25

Here is the output I got:

sudo wget -O /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html/upintheair.json ‘http://www.heywhatsthat.com/api/upintheair.json?id=XXXXXXXX&refraction=0.25&alts=6096,9144,12192
–2016-10-02 15:34:35-- http://www.heywhatsthat.com/api/upintheair.json?id=XXXXXXXX&refraction=0.25&alts=6096,9144,12192
Length: unspecified [application/json]
Saving to: ‘/usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html/upintheair.json’

/usr/share/dump1090 <=> ] 38.92K 200KB/s in 0.2s

2016-10-02 15:34:38 (200 KB/s) - ‘/usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html/upintheair.json’ saved [39853]

@jlb. I do the same with Microsoft Notes. Have about 30 separate pages, I also ALWAYS (now) include the link at the top of the appropriate section.

Got it!!!

Thank you to all!

jc

@jlb56:
Using JP’s automated install is the easiest way. One can have either dump1090-mutability or dump1090-fa.

My requirements were something in-between the two. I wanted dump1090-mutability Engine, with dump1090-fa Airframe (=User Interface :slight_smile: ).

To achieve this I first installed dump1090-mutability option usig JP’s automated install. After the install was completed, what I basically did was to download dump1090-fa files from github, and replaced the /user/share/dump1090-mutability/html folder by downloaded folder. Please see this post for details:

http://discussions.flightaware.com/post198829.html#p198829

Here are two screenshots.

Screenshot 1 of 2: dump1090-mutability with original User Interface

Screenshot 2 of 2: dump1090-mutability with dump1090-fa User Interface

CONGRATULATIONS!
Can you please tell us HOW?