Who uses Virtual Radar Server

Does anyone use VRS regularly? I’ve experimented a bit with it and think it is actually an impressive bit of kit but activity seems to have slowed.

The web page latest version 2.4 was released in 2019, the forum seems dead. Surprisingly a search turned up a pre release version 3 at VRS version 3 beta

I am looking to generate a bit of interest at a club I belong to by combining some data along the lines of a thread found here at Headless VRS on VPS

Geoff

2 Likes

Yes, I am a regular user of VRS on linux, running V3.0. It runs on my website and I used it to log aircraft I track.

I installed it using this automated script from a Github user which makes the whole process very easy and painless.

To enhance my VRS I have produced a large selection of silhoeuttes and operator flags and aircraft markers ( supports V3.0. only) rikgale · GitHub

2 Likes

I use VRS beta 3 to broadcast my own data on a more easy to view radar compared to skyaware.

1 Like

Interesting you should ask. I’ve been using VRS for many years (v2.4.4) on Windows. Yesterday I upgraded Windows 10 to 21H2 and now I can’t access the VRS web server from other computers on my network. Trying to find the fix. I can view the VRS web server on the computer it runs on.

1 Like

The 192. Address will work on any device in your property. Did you enable the firewall option during installation? If not, just rerun the installer

2 Likes

That is interesting, shall view that. Scripts are very handy fof people who are a little unsure of procedure. I do try to view the script before installation, must admit don’t understand too much but vague idea what it is doing.

Geoff

I did reinstall and enable the firewall option. I’ve always been able to view VRS from every computer on my network. Now I can’t get to it from any computer. The only change has been when I upgraded Windows on the VRS server machine. All my computers are on the 192.168.1.0 network.

Edit: And yes, I’ve rebooted the server a few times.

FIXED! The Windows firewall rule for VRS was set to private. I changed it to public and I can now access VRS across my network. I have no idea how that happened.

1 Like

Windows sets firewall rules to private by default, you have to explictly set it to public in order to get it set that way.

Or maybe you LAN is set to public instead of private ? If you have private LAN then you should be able to acces other IP adresses on your network.

I have it running in the background on a Proxmox LXC container, but only for the database. I am not using it interactively

1 Like

I am looking to merge 3 or more feeds into a VRS server so that a club can amalgamate our data and see the extra coverage we obtain. Saw an interesting thread on here from 2020 that explains how to do it. I’ve installed VRS on my cloud server and it is working for my feed. Just need to add the other two now.

Geoff

Never had to do that in all my years of running Windows. Yes, it’s a private network.

Should just be a matter of adding the three receivers and then under Options > Merged Feeds add the IP addresses of the three receivers to create one merged feed, right?

This page might be usefull when configuring firewall rules in Windows :wink:

1 Like

I set up a virtual machine (Windows) and installed VRS 3.0 beta. At a glance it looks idential to v2.4.4. Is anyone running 3.0 beta? What’s your opinion?

I intend to send data to VRS using push rather than get VRS to receive it using pull.

Initial test using two of my feeders seems to work, no opening of ports on router.

Geoff

I’ve set up beta 3 and in the map display, under options, there’s no “receiver range” button. Have I got something wrong in setup?

monrr

I’m running beta 3 and under options, map have the choice to select range circles.

Geoff

@jepolch did you set up your receiver location (under Tools / Receiver Locations) and/or set your location in the web interface?

1 Like

Yes. That’s working, as well as range rings. The only things I can’t understand (maybe because it’s still beta) is where to set VRS 3 to start with Windows and receiver range.