Who uses Virtual Radar Server

I found out why I didn’t have the receiver range option. My mistake. I had the home location for the receiver set, but I didn’t select it on the receiver configuration section, under format.

1 Like

The receiver range need to be enabled in the settings of the web backend under admin preferences.

I’ve been using VRS since 2015. I had it on Windows until 2019 when I got a NAS and switched my FR24 feeder to a Raspberry Pi.

When I moved over I discovered that my basestation database was 8GB, which I felt might be an issue for the Pi so I decided to let it start from scratch.

I’m running V3 and it never misses a beat. It is a shame that you don’t seem to be able to get pictures any more.

I also run FlightAirMap on another Pi and find that the database quickly gets out of date so I wrote a program to compare the database with the one on my instance of VRS and generate a sql script to update FAM. VRS is virtually always the one that has correct data.

I find the picture comes up quick enough clicking on jetphotos.com in the information box, not quite as good as before but not bad either.

I’m now running VRS 3.0 on a cloud server, awkward not having web admin but I mirror the setup on local machine (doesn’t connect as settings wrong for remote) then copy my local config settings to remote. Not pretty but seems to work.

Geoff

What’s the problem with web admin? That’s just an extension which can be enabled by copying some files after you launched VRS one time with admin creation

When I tried the Web Server plug in I got the message doesn’t work beyond version 2.4.9999

This was displayed via the VRS menu, plugins

Geoff

I think you have to download the web admin plugin that goes with the 3.0 version from the same downloads page that you get the “beta” version from. I have been running the beta with web admin on a vm on one of my servers for about 3 years now, and the only issue is that I keep forgetting the password that I set for web admin because I use it so rarely.

That would make sense but I couldnt find a Linux option for that.

I’ll check out the github page again, maybe I missed it amongst the various options.

Geoff

That’s curious. You are right. I don’t see any of the plugins on the preview download page either.

But I do know that the web server and web admin work with 3.0 because that’s how I have it set up here.

The plug-ins are at the bottom of this page under “assets”:
https://github.com/vradarserver/vrs/releases/tag/v3.0.0-preview-10-mono

Ah! You’re right - I had forgotten that some of their download content is not on the main VRS site.

Thank you!

2 Likes

What I’m curios about is why v2.4.4 still does get the aircraft pictures if v3 doesn’t. For that reason I’d keep using v2.4.4 (Windows) as long as the pictures are showing.

1 Like

I seem to remember reading that it was deliberately removed by the author but can’t find anything that states that. The odd thing is that the option to display pictures is still there.

Could it have something to do with this?

Not sure.

I’m confused: I still have links to airport-data.com in airplane information box but no links to jetphotos as mentioned by @send2gl.

Maybe I need to check what version I am actually running?

edit: well, it seems I am actually running 2.4.4. That explains part of my confusion.

You probably tried to mix versions of VRS. You need to use the corresponding Web Admin Package to the version of VRS

They are all there on the Github page:

For anyone who uses VRS beta 3 it has updated to version 11

Windows installers here Release v3.0.0-preview-11 [Windows .NET Framework] · vradarserver/vrs · GitHub

Linux/Mac installers here Release v3.0.0-preview-11 [Linux / Mac OSX Mono] · vradarserver/vrs · GitHub

3 Likes

Thanks. Looks like they only make minor fixes and changes and are getting close to a release version

Personally, I don’t see any real improvements over v2.4.4 (maybe some improvements under the hood). I wouldn’t upgrade to v3 if I lost access to the aircraft pictures.

1 Like