What does your setup look like?

That howto is for Raspbian x86, and when Piaware version was 3.6.3. That is why you ran into dependency issue.

For latest version of Piaware 3.8.0 on Ubuntu 18.04 / 19.10, here are the instructions:

Howto Install Piaware ver 3.8.0 on Ubuntu & Debian amd64

Hi @abcd567…that makes sense. Thanks for clarifying and pointing out the new instructions.

scd

1 Like

Upgraded from a small magnetic base whip antenna to the FA indoor/outdoor unit. Already seeing an increasing trend in aircraft tracked and a decent increase in range. :+1:

4 Likes

Why are so many users using the additional FA filter behind the blue pro plus stick?

What are the advantages of doing it?

I’m not sure you are asking the right question, but the advantage of cascaded filters is, as you would expect - it will filter stronger out-of-band noise.

Technically i was able to imagine the answer by myself, but i wanted to know more some practical results showing the improvement :wink:

Please see this Nov 2016 post:

OK, but what if you’re already at the max with the Stick only? Does a filter improve this as well?

The 1090 MHz filter and LNA with its power supply are in a weather-tight metal box near the antenna. Power via the coaxial cable and a bias tee.

5 Likes

Nice setup.
The cavity filter is your design?

I’ll have to drop my system down to sort out some lower loss cabling before and after my filter.
At present it has a stack of SMA 90 degree and male to female adapters to connect it all.

I really should have taken a picture…

2 Likes

I deliberately didn’t when I rebuilt mine because people would laugh! It’s like my radio shack, untidy and messy but it works.

2 Likes

Talk with the tip floor neighbor. Maybe he’ll let you put the antenna on his balcony. A beer a month should be an appropriate rent :smile:

Did you grounded that metallic pole? Just in case of a lightning strike… You don’t want a flash to your house roof.

My indoor setup is: An older Dell laptop E6420 with an i7-2640M CPU, running Ubuntu 19.10, Airspy R2 receiver dongle, bias tee fed from an step-adjustable power supply, gas lightning arrester, RG6 cable to antenna outside (45 meter of cable).

My antenna setup is FA antenna, RTL-Blog LNA, grounding electrode pounded in the soil (only 4 ft long) and ground wire. I was concerned about bringing a lightning strike in the house.
More pics here: Antenna rework 2020

I call that creative chaos. I’m a fellow practitioner :grimacing: :grin:

2 Likes

Yes

You can use the on-line calculator to design one:
Cavity Filter Design Tool

I changed my setup again !

After the week of testing with the RTL-SDR LNA, I am now testing again with the Uptronics (ceramic version), and its cavity filter.

With the RTL-SDR LNA I never exceeded 1900 msg/s, while with the Uptronic I climbed to 2100 msg/s !

And this morning after connection I already exceeded (not long) 2000 msg/s, which had not happened with the RTL-SDR LNA !

Come on, let’s go for a week of testing ;+))

2 Likes

Do you have a reference system to use as a reality check?
eg. if a bunch of planes were circling waiting for clearance to land, you’d have the same number of planes, but a higher message count.

No reference system, just the fact that each time I connect the Uptronics, I have better results than with the RTL-SDR LNA, and those even when I swap them several times.

Now I have no doubt that the RTL-SDR LNA can be better, because I am in any case convinced that each example is very different, I had 3 and the 3 do not give the same results !

Some certainly have versions that work better than the best of mine, but I’m not going to buy a fourth either to test again ;+)

I just let RTL-SDR run for a good week, I took action, and now I compare this current week with the results I will get from Uptronics, but as I told you, the rates are better by around 200 msg/s with the Uptronics.

Are you also adjusting the gain when you swap the amps? The rtl-sdr one has significantly higher gain which can result in messages lost to overloading if the receiver gain is set too high.