Virtual Airlines

For any one that plays FS and flys for a virtual airline, how do you do it? Are they fun. And what is the best VA to fly for?

well, it depends quite a bit on what you want to do, where you want to fly, how often you want to fly, and if you like airline-like cat restrictions (i.e. new memers start out flying only props such as the Beech 1900). Some virtual airlines do not exist because the real airlines threaten lawsuits for being too close to the real thing, whereas others, most noteably United, actively supports their virtual counterparts. Some VAs have forced routings, and in some cases forced departure times, whereas others are more open and you can fly between most any airport so long as you fly with the company callsign. It also depends if you can/want to fly online and with whom. Some VAs are strictly offline, others are strictly online with IVAO or VATSIM, and others allow you to fly however you want. So it really comes down to your personal preferences and if a given VA matches those desires :slight_smile:

I personally fly/control on VATSIM, but I understand that not everyone is able/wants to fly with people who study 7110.65 as their hobby for controllers (or doesn’t want long stretches where they are by themselves).

Forgive me, but this is a somewhat redundant post. There have been discussions about virtual airlines in the past. Here’s one:

discussions.flightaware.com/viewtopic.php?t=341

The discussion is loaded w/ several links that you might find helpful.

You tell 'em, planeaholic! This is exactly why I am such a “ball buster” when I see people like RLudens2009 and others posting items when it is obvious they haven’t even taken a look at the topic subjects, much less the topics themselves.

Besides, virtual airlines have nothing to do with real aviation.

Much like simulators have nothing to do with real airplanes…
flightsafety.com/about6.php

With today’s simulators, a pilot can get certified for a new type rating.

When it comes to starting an airline, it’s highly doubtful the DOT or FAA would allow a person to be its CEO if the only airline experience held by that person was virtual airline CEO.

The FAA and DOT couldn’t care less what experience the CEO of an airline has, nor do they have any control over his or her selection.

Based on recent airline history, many would probably be better off if their CEOs had run a few virtual airlines before picking up the reins of a real one.

James

The FAA and DOT couldn’t care less what experience the CEO of an airline has, nor do they have any control over his or her selection.

Then why does the of Federal Regulations Title 14 Paragraph 204.3(f)(2) require the “experience, expertise, and responsibilities” of each of the key personnel?

With today’s simulators, a pilot can get training or experience in dealing with certain situations that would be too dangerous to try in a real aircraft. With a V.A., sim pilots can get the experieince of what it might be like to fly for an airline where it might be too dangerous to allow him to fly for a real airline! And airlines DO have a LOT to do with aviation! Today’s Continental Virtual Airlines trainee may very well go on to become tomorrow’s Continental Airlines 787 Chief Instructor - thanks in some part to his or her experience with flying for a V.A… And that same pilot may very well end up in an executive position with said airline.

That’s called Full Disclosure and is a requirement of almost every request for a federally issued license.

It’s more a matter of looking at the source of the funding (e.g. not from illegal sources, foreign governments, etc.) for an air operator’s license than an FAA/DOT approval process for the individuals actually running it.

They just want to know the WHO behind a company. Certainly the company has to meet any licensing requirements for personnel for their operations side, but who the CEO, COO, CFO, CTO, etc., might be is of little interest to them unless they’re wanted on a RICO warrant.

But neither agency can tell a company that its CEO, or any company officer, is unacceptable due to a lack of aviation experience unless that officer is also serving in a licensed position in the company’s operations.

Regards,

James the Elder

All I know is that I have yet to read an application of an airline for a certificate where all of the key personnel had aviation experience. You can search for the applications at the Docket Management System of the Department of Transportation. Use the advanced search and enter OST as the agency.