Using view1090-fa without internet

Another old Windows program that takes the output from the Pi on port 30005 may suit your needs if it runs under WINE.

It does not need internet unless you want a background map.

Note the table on the right only has information collected from the ModeS broadcast.

S

Hey SweetPea11ā€¦thanks for the info. I will have to check this out as well.

All the bestā€“
wa4chq

Normally you need a cross cable to get this working. At least in the past a normal cable was not working.

Assigned fixed IPs to the network cards in same subnet and it should work with normal dump view

1 Like

If both endpoints are gigabit (1000 base-t), then auto crossover is part of the protocol. Taking a standard cable and plugging directly into two devices will cause the devices to auto configure as crossover.

If no static IP is configured for either device, and no DHCP server is available, they will both self-assign addresses in the 169.254.x.x range and be able to ā€œseeā€ one another by virtue of falling within the same broadcast network.

So, in theory, If you configured your Pi and your client with DHCP and connected them with a cat 5 cable, and everything should work, apart from not having any map tiles to see and not being able to upload results to PiAware.

1 Like

good, my network cabling knowledge is a bit outdated since i am not working any longer directly with it :slight_smile:)

So you need at least a Raspi 4, or? As far as i remember the 3 series does not have gigabit networking, please correct me if i am wrong.

Even dhcp is not required, simply get them two ip adresses in the same network.
This could cause possible conflicts if both are connected after the adress is assigned.

Not the 3B, but the 3B+ claims gigabit with a max throughput of 300Mbit. I assume that means it complies with 1000BASE-T and can negotiate mdi/mdix.

OK, when I find time, I will disconnect network cables ā€œbetween Modem & Desktopā€ and ā€œbetween Modem & RPiā€ (The RPi is Model 2, no wifi)

After isolating Pi & Desktop from Internet, next will use a network patch cable (Cat 5/6 with RJ45 at both ends) to directly connect RPi with Windows Desktop.

After this will try to communicate with and access RPi from my Windows Desktop.

Wow! Wow! I have never seen numbers and density that high.

I still have not downloaded the programs suggested to try with wine. But I did connected remotely to my RPi. Last year I made it into an Access Point. Tomorrow I will have access wifi so I will see about ADSBscope and Basestation. Seeing just the data scroll by isnā€™t that exciting. Tnx and Happy 2020

Sweetpea11ā€¦I have access to a windows tablet. If I install ADSBscope on it, then open a browser and type ā€œip-of-pi:30005ā€ I should see something similiar to your screenshot? I understand I would not see map background. Tnx

You donā€™t need adsbscope for that.
It should just work when the pi is running the piaware image.

Oh you wouldnā€™t put ā€œip-of-pi:30005 in a browser, i msread.

http://ip-of-pi/dump1090-fa

this would give you the normal webinterface without the map.

Adsbscope would need to be configured, so you start the adsbscope software and tell it beast data from ip-of-pi on port 30005.

@wa4chq

STEP-1

CLICK ON IMAGE TO SEE LARGER SIZE

STEP-2

CLICK ON IMAGE TO SEE LARGER SIZE

Good morning, abcd567ā€¦tnx for the screenshots w/ explanations. Iā€™ll see if I can get it set up.

On a side note, yesterday my piaware Iā€™d had online is having issuesā€¦again. I donā€™t think itā€™s the dongle. Iā€™ll discuss this in a separate post.

http://www.qsl.net/wa4chq/godspeed.html

Slackware Linux-

MX-19 Linux-

I am running both tar1090 and piaware on my notebook. It took modest tweaking since I run opensuse and used nginx rather than lighthttp. Back to the original topic of this thread, there are times when you want to track aircraft without an internet connection. In my case, camped in the desert without internet access. Yes such placed exist.

I donā€™t need access to every map in these situations, but rather maps around say 200 miles around my location. The path of least resistance would be to duplicate how tar1090 acquires maps with the exception of changing the source to a local server. By server, more like a daemon running on my notebook.

There are a number of programs that allude to being openstreetmap servers, but when you dig into them, they have their own map server and API. I need to produce maps in a manner that is similar to whatever tar1090 requires.

If this canā€™t be done or is way too much work, perhaps someone can work up an interface to linux ā€œmarbleā€. Storing OSM maps offline is trivial with marble. But feeding tracking data to marble requires a plugin, i.e. another time sink.

Another option might be to use Virtual Radar Server and its Tile Server Cache Plugin. Install VRS on the notebook (if itā€™s Linux use Mono, see my VPS guide), set it to receive raw data from localhost:30005, and get the map loaded and cached for the areas and zoom levels needed in advance, by viewing those areas and zoom levels while connected to the Internet before heading out.

On my Android phone, I use OTG cable, a dongle, a mag mount whip antenna, and App ā€œAvareā€ from Google Play Store. This App does not require Internet to display map. If you see top right of the screenshot below you will notice an aeroplane symbol indicating that my phone was in airplane mode, i.e. no wifi and no cellular data.

Ā 

It can receive both ES1090 and UAT978

1 Like

For abcd567, I see Avare is open source:

Potentially is could be run on Andbox on Linux. Hooking up to my phone would be a last resort.

For Chrislfa, I have run Virtual Radar Server on Linux in the past. Yeah it works. The cache is new since I ran it. But I had switched to mutalbility on my old notebook. The display is much better. When I went back to github to get a fresh mutability, it suggested to use dump1090-fa instead.

What has now occurred to me is I should just set up an openstreetmap server. I am already running nginx. Looks like I need to add rails. The idea is to proxy the map server so that tar1090 looks for maps on the PC first before going out to the internet. Openstreetmap itself is open source (obviously) so the code is there.

Looks like the headers need to be ā€œsanitizedā€ so that they donā€™t expire.

Iā€™m going to wireshark tar1090 a bit to see how it uses the interwebs, then join the openstreetmap website.

1 Like

You can just look at html/layers.js, thatā€™s where all the maps are.
Itā€™s based on Openlayers 5.

Thatā€™s not necessary, you can actually define a custom tile layer via localStorage in your browser:

• open your local tar1090 page
  • open javascript console using F12
  • type this:
localStorage['customTiles'] = "https://{a-c}.tile.openstreetmap.org/{z}/{x}/{y}.png"
  • after a reload of the page, Custom Tiles layer will be available in the dropdown.
  • you want to set that to something localhost obviously.

Yeah thatā€™s your best bet.
I have never done that myself, but itā€™s definitely the way to go.

I think this customTiles will work. I donā€™t understand the F12 insert. I rather just edit the html files and make another server.

I used marble to load the local maps. I copied the openstreetmaps directory to a directory called mymaps and placed it in the webroot. To test that the directory can be reached, I set the browser to some random map png file to verify the directory can be reached,

http://127.0.0.1:8081/mymaps/10/158/400.png

As you can see the maps follow a tree structure similar to your /{z}/{x}/{y}.png. I am baffled by the {a-c}.

I found the js file with the customTiles and have tried a few variation of this:

const customTiles = search.get('customTiles');
if (customTiles)

// localStorage[ā€˜customTilesā€™] = customTiles;
localStorage[ā€˜customTilesā€™] = ā€œ/mymaps/{z}/{x}/{y}.pngā€
if (customTiles == ā€˜removeā€™)
localStorage.removeItem(ā€˜customTilesā€™);

Suggestion?

Do what i showed you to do ā€¦
On the browser console you can change localstorage without changing the javascript.
With F12 you can open the browser javascript console ā€¦

But if you donā€™t want to do that (i donā€™t understand the issue with doing it):

Replace above line with:

customTiles = "http://127.0.0.1:8081/mymaps/{z}/{x}/{y}.png"