Totaly confused with setting up?

Hello,
I have just completed a fresh install of PiAware 7.1 overwriting the original micro sd, and i’ve edited the previous feeder-id to claim my original site(just gotta remove the latest?) and I can see the ALT+F1 information screen on my raspberry pi4 monitor, so far so good, however I dont have a desktop anymore on my raspberry pi4 which is confusing me?

Hopefully there’s a command or button sequence but its just not there.

I can go on my Windows PC and see my feeder statistics and see a map of what I’m tracking, but prior to the update, I had a desktop on the pi4 that I allowed me to browse the internet, and click on a tab to bring up Flightaware when needed.
I’ts been a long day, any advice on what I need to do?

If you want a desktop then you need to do a package install. Starting with the desktop version of bullseye.
See:

What exactly are you using?

If i am not wrong, the Piaware SD Card Image doesn’t seem to have a desktop environment per default which you can use locally
Pretty unlikely it was working before without having this installed additionally.

If you really want a desktop (where no need is for) you should use a desktop-enabled OS version of Raspberry OS and follow the regular instructions for package install of dump1090 and piaware

Cheers foxhunter, I’m almost certain that’s how I completed the task last time, installed the raspberry OS desktop, then added piAware after?

On this occasion I just downloaded from FlightAware, the piAware image on raspbian linux 7.1, flashed that to the msd using etcher!

Thanks for the input, does help. I’ll see later if I can replicate what I did last time, then include PiAware 7.1. Or just suffice using other devices to view the output.

I Don’t see a need for two devices ( PC or Phone + Pi4 ) when my Pi4 with its own setup worked ok for my needs.

Programming/Understanding the Pi is not completely within my comfort zone, and yet the pi was built primarily for the kids to lean!!!

Once again, thank you.

1 Like

The Raspberry is a “set and forget” device if it comes to feeding.
Mine is running for weeks without the need to connect to it interactively.

I am also using a terminal app on my smartphone in case i need to connect while not in front of my laptop.

Hey, thanks for the replies.

For some reason I just cannot get what I had before, which was a Pi4 running Raspberry OS Desktop, and from there, I could browse the web and/or see my PiAware/SkyAware setup using the same monitor.

This simple low power setup ran 24/7 and I just needed to power on the monitor for quick access.

Whatever I’m doing now, and after many attempts, my ‘original’ setup does not want to feed to the server, with constant 3 red flags instead of green.

For now though, I just have PiAware 7.2 installed, it’s fully functional, accessed from other devices, but no RaspberryOS desktop.

Also, I’m sure I read last week that there’s an incompatibility in what I’m trying to achieve with my PiAware 7.1 and Pi4, so maybe that’s why I’m struggling to understand.

Ive a spare 32GB so I can still mess about with setups?

The piaware image comes without a desktop environment.
You can install the raspberry OS through the pi imager and then add the package installation. That way you will have your desktop back and you can feed Flightaware and all other sites you would like to send data to.

Not sure what this is required for. I have three raspberries running and never had a need to connect any of them to a monitor for quick access.

Oh, wait. That’s incorrect. I had temporarily set up a media player which was connected through HDMI to my home theater screen

But so far i cannot find a real reason why this would be required beside a broken network link

Hi…you say “You can install the raspberry OS through the pi imager and then add the package installation. That way you will have your desktop back and you can feed Flightaware”…

Well that’s how it used to be, but Ive not been able to manage this since upgrading from v6 to 7.1 now 7.2.

I’ve flashed my sd with the latest Raspian Debian Bullseye & Raspberry desktop ( tried both 32 & 64bit ) then using SSH I’ve copy/pasted ninyule’s guide ( line by line ) without success…

sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo reboot
wget http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/pool/piaware/p/piaware-support/piaware-repository_3.7.1_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i piaware-repository_3.7.1_all.deb
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install piaware
sudo piaware-config allow-auto-updates yes
sudo piaware-config allow-manual-updates yes
sudo apt-get install dump1090-fa
sudo reboot

During this process Im sure there was a text comment about unable to ‘auto-update’ and something about some file or dependency being broken, if I recall.

Hi foxhunter,

From the outset, my Pi4 was going to be setup as a desktop, with the ability to maybe run a flight tracker, given my secluded location? and and for this reason, if I need to see my data or the SkyAware map, I just press the pwr button on the monitor, and instant display, rather than having to boot up my main pc, so my method was for ease of access and simplicity, and as for connections, I can connect either via Wi-Fi or LAN and chose the latter.

But you’re right, something was broken somewhere ?

After my fresh install, I had two site Id’s, the original, reclaimed, not working, and latest ‘new’ Id working ( both actually the same physical equipment and from the same site). I’ve since deleted my first site Id, as it was out or order for over 48 hours.

Please link which image you used and what steps did you do after flashing.
SSH is not enabled by default. You need to create an empty ssh file while having the SD card mounted

The desktop version shows a desktop directly and has nothing to do with any Piaware etc installation.

I would first fix the desktop issue before continuing with the Piaware setup. You are mixing up things here.

That’s also normal. But you can get your old setup back by simply changing the ID in the config files.

The instructions you have followed are out of date as it references version 3.7.1 not the latest version 7.2.
Try following the link I posted 2 weeks ago to the official guide. Here it is again:

Thank you for you time and patience…

I flashed my sd using the latest raspberry Pi Imager, using their recommended “A port of Debian Bullseye with Raspberry Pi Desktop”

SSH was enabled via raspi-config.

This all works, no issues.

To install PiAware, via SSH, or directly on the Pi, I copy/pasted/typed the text mentioned earlier, but something goes awry when I paste the bit about updates ( theres some text which I’ll image next time, but says something like broken or missing file/dependencies? ).

However, on completion of sudo - reboot, all this works, I go into the browser, pop in the ip and theres my map, aircraft displayed, but there’s no data being fed from my site, the three tabs remain RED, I just couldn’t get the system to feed my data to Skyaware.
So in its present state, the Pi4 monitor just has three ctrl-Functions options, no desktop.

Thank you, I see that now, but certain Ive already accessed and employed that text giving the same result as before, no data feed.

But I’m willing to have another go, I’ve a spare 32gb card doing nothing, so nothing to lose.

Ive got a working v7.2 setup just now, but the monitor only shows text about v7.2 but I would like to have the full Raspi desktop to be accessible too.

Sorry if this stuff is all very basic for you guys, but I’m still trying to get my head around the new OS.

That said, I could go out today and source the parts and have no issues building, and installing a Windows PC…yet strange I find the two OS’s so Worlds apart?

That is an outdated package, the latest one is this:

https://de.flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/pool/piaware/p/piaware-support/piaware-repository_7.2_all.deb

Simply follow the instructions on the official Piaware page

That’s probably all it is?
I’ll give it another try soonest.
I’m just copy/pasting, obviously not reading!!!
Thank you.

Got it working guys :grinning: eventually? appreciate all your help.

Not without issues though?
I had a problem flashing the sd, (5x times) it just didn’t work using using the Pi Installer, so I just downloaded an image, used balenaEtcher to flash the sd, with first time instant success.
On reboot, the Raspberry OS updated itself, I then changed the Pi user password and enabled SSH via raspi-config, but had no joy with that service either ( just an access issue, PC to Pi…I’ll suss it! ) so using the Raspberry OS to browse the SkyAware site, I copy pasted the required text, and after a few nervous minutes, 3 site ID’s appeared, but only two were visible on the Pi. and the feed indicator flags are still red :thinking:

It does state, time required to fully configure itself and update, so I’m downstairs, last cold drink of the night ( water and a pill) take a quick peek on the laptop and BINGO! three sites on the Stats page and the latest, displaying 3 green labels…

Gotta be bed time :yawning_face:
Take care
Thank you

2 Likes

The reason it is good for learning is it is easy to reflash the card and start again if you mess up. Once you get the confidence to do that then you get more adventurous with extras.

Many users (most probably) have a dedicated Pi for ADS-B so desktop not needed, I use a Pi Zero which is fine for basic signal receiving, if you want to add various extras such as visual charts and data then a more powerful Pi is preferable. SD card can be switched between devices so easy to experiment too.

Geoff

3 weeks of dismay ?
Everything is working except 1090 reciever: Error: not connected to Mode S receiver,.
MLAT: Error: Multilateration enabled. but client is not working.

I’ve lost count of the times this sd card has been re-flashed using the Pi Installer & Balena, not that it should make a difference

When i view the map, theres no aircraft icons, no data on the right hand screen and SkyAware unknown version shows, top right of map screen.

i’m just running PiAware 7.2, no Rasberry desktop, i have a site feeder id, connected via my LAN

location and elevation set.

Almost ready to quit my setup!

What can the problem be?

you could have a look at the logging in order to see what is wrong.
issue the command

sudo service piaware status

to see the last 10 log entries from the Pi.
That could already be telling something what is going wrong.
Also what equipment are you using ?
If you can provide some information on the dongle etc we might be able to think along.