Tokyo - Sydney Flight Path

Hello,

I’ve been watching JAL flight 771 ( Narita → Sydney ) on the last 2 or 3 days. The flight path plotted shows the plane deviating from a direct route, which is almost N-S, in mid-Pacific, going off at a course of about 135 degrees, to an area around the Solomon islands, then turning due west, heading back until it reaches a direct route line, then heading south again. In other words, it plots two legs of a large triangle over the West Pacific.

The plane, of course, ignores this plotted route, and goes on a direct line. The plotted route, however, seems to throw off the distance, flight time, and estimated arrival times given ( eg showing an arrival time of about 0820 instead of 0620 ).

I’m a fairly new user of this site, so if I’ve missed something obvious, I apologise, but …???

Below the map is this statement: “At least part of this flight occurs outside of FlightAware’s primary service area. Learn more about FlightAware’s coverage and service areas here.” This could be the problem.

often the blue line does not actually match up with the filed route, but i’ve only noticed small “notches” or deviations from the actual filed path, of 10-20 miles. I don’t know if FA has a database of fixes and some of the location data is off or what. However that’s much bigger then most I notice.