Tips for keeping your raspberry pi running smoothly

Does anyone have any tips for keeping their Raspberry Pi setups running smoothly over a long period of time?

I currently have two stations (both Pi 4 with clean OS installs in the last couple of months), but over time they seem to slow down marginally and memory utilisation seems to creep up over time. I now have a daily cron to reboot both (excessive, I know), but it works well when on occasion some services seem to lock up.

However I feel similar could be achieved by restarting a few services instead. Does anyone have any top tips?

Have you checked that it’s not just cache use which is increasing?
Memory usage increasing is not an issue for 99% of people.

What slow down do you observe, can you measure it?

Memory usage increasing is not an issue for 99% of people.

That’s a very fair point.
The slow down isn’t terrible but noticeable ssh-ing onto both Pis and performing basic commands, and certainly when updating packages. I’ll disable the cron and keep an eye on any resource hoggers.

For context I’m feeding to FA, FR24 and adsbx with only the essential packages installed.

My feeling is that if your Pi needs regular rebooting, then quite simply the Pi has a problem.

Have a look at this thread to see what you should be able to expect.

1 Like

What do the graphs look like?

It’s extra load but a pi4 doesn’t care at all about that tiny bit of extra load.
GitHub - wiedehopf/graphs1090: Graphs for readsb / dump1090-fa / dump1090 (based on dump1090-tools by mutability)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.