Tar1090 -- improved webinterface for dump1090-fa and readsb

3 Likes

Awesome!

Works like a charm:

Very good - This 24 hour plot under flat conditions tells me that my maximum range plot is pretty much bang on.

yeah, same here. I only have a small gap to the north east where the view is a bit blocked by my own roof (no chance to move it :slight_smile: )

Looks good…
Where do you put “PTRACKS=24” to the file?
Is INTERVAL=8 = 8 seconds repeating interval and saving. Or is it the 8 hour hold time? (which i’m trying to stretch to 24)

Second question, can one restart dump1090 without reboot?

# Interval at which the track history is saved
INTERVAL=8
# How many points in time are stored in the track history
HISTORY_SIZE=450

# Change to yes to enable UAT/978 display in tar1090
ENABLE_978=no
# If running dump978-fa on another computer, modify the IP-address as appropriate.
# The URL needs to point at where you would normally find the skyaware978 webinterface
URL_978="http://127.0.0.1/skyaware978"

# no need to change the lines below
CHUNK_SIZE=60
INT_978=1
PF_URL="http://127.0.0.1:30053/ajax/aircraft"
COMPRESS_978=""

sure

Simply type sudo systemctl restart dump1090-fa in a terminal window where you are logged in.
However a restart of dump1090-fa is not required if you make changes on tar1090

1 Like

Sorry for confusion - I know how to restart dump. Same procedure when setting gain, etc.

It was Tar1090 i meant (To reset the plot) :slight_smile:

Is INTERVAL=8 = 8 seconds repeating interval and saving. Or is it the 8 hour hold time?

I’m not a professional, but I skimmed the files on github and INTERVAL appears (from comments/context) to be the frequency a plotline is saved, so the former of your two options.

Where do you put “PTRACKS=24” to the file?

those settings are just loaded as environmental variables (INTERVAL, HISTORY_SIZE, etc) so it doesn’t really matter where you put it in the file. If there’s a variable in the config file for PTRACKS, it will use that number of hours duration for the plot. If not, it will set the variable to 8, and therefore use 8 hours.

If you do a fresh install, I think you’d find a PTRACKS in the file… but I think wiedehopf is preserving your configuration during updates. So just add it wherever, like after URL_978.
You can compare to the standard version (from a clean install), if you want guidance of how to insert it, by looking here: tar1090/default at master · wiedehopf/tar1090 · GitHub

And to answer your latest question, you can restart tar1090 with sudo systemctl restart tar1090

2 Likes

Thanks for answering.

GitHub - wiedehopf/tar1090: Provides an improved webinterface for use with ADS-B decoders readsb / dump1090-fa

Read that paragraph precisely, it should tell you what INTERVAL does.

You can remove the configuration file:

sudo rm /etc/default/tar1090

Then run the install script to get a current copy.
I’ve tried to explain the options maybe a bit better.

1 Like

Thanks,
I’m not a linux guy, so… I’m just reading on and trying. Often it goes well enough :slight_smile:

I did not read that much on github, my fault… And I did not know that i should remove a config-file before updating - It’s not that clear. Maybe it is for you, but i think “we” are many newbies in here/other forums :slight_smile:

Thank you for your good work on tar1090 :slight_smile:

No you shouldn’t normally, that was just so you get the parameter in the file without having to add it yourself.
And maybe some more verbose explanation to the variables i just added.

Adding PTRACKS=24 on a new line … seems really obvious everything else has its own line.
If it required a special location at the top or bottom … i would have mentioned it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

yes, same procedure as for dump1090-fa via systemctl

So If I set up Tar1090 previously to use multiple instances, then persist/?pTracks will give me tracks for the last 24 hours as it has been. Then default for /tar1090/?pTracks will give me 8 hours? And so forth?

@ wiedehopf Really cool update. Looks great.

i agree, well done Wiedehopf, as usual

When I run that, the internet browser becomes very unresponsive. Is that what anyone else experiences?

It does take a few seconds to load all the tracks and zooming and panning with all those tracks is slow but that’s to be expected. This isn’t something you’d be using all the time I wouldn’t think. I’ll be checking it at most once or twice per day.

It’s a lot of lines an openLayers isn’t perfect.

?pTracks=2

Do 2 hours then, if the default is too slow for your taste.
But yes having the zoom and pan being slow is perfectly normal.

1 Like

Yeah it should be.
Do another update, i had a bug in there.

1 Like

I can recognize a short delay, but nothing remarkable