Tar1090 -- improved webinterface for dump1090-fa and readsb

Thats exactly it, thank you.

Hey,
I came across this funky flight. Not sure if it can be avoided to be displayed.

Any idea what is causing this behaviour? I assume it is an AC parked in a hangar struggling to establish its actual position. And transmitting wrong coordinates.

Regards,
Dennis

Not really.
There is some position filtering already going on, but you can’t filter sth like that.

Is it MLAT or ADS-B?

ADS-B
I’ll probably have to check whether it’s a valid position based on speed and heading.

You can’t absolutely filter such stuff …
Can’t always rely on the transmitted groundspeed if there is one even transmitted.

Feel free to change my code or the dump1090-fa / readsb code to your personal preference.
And good luck with filtering without cutting out stuff you want to see.

Yes, that’s usually the cause.

There is some position quality information in the ADS-B messages (in dump1090 look for “rc” - the radius of containment - etc), but it can be a challenge to make use of that without excluding a lot of useful data too because there are lots of ADS-B installs that provide fairly good positions but claim the worst possible position quality level.

You know what I would like (probably already suggested)? When an aircraft has had a position reported by your system, that the plane would blink continuously while being tracked.

Are you crazy? :slight_smile:
I did a lot of picture caching stuff so it doesn’t blink when the aircraft changes color due to altitude.

What do you mean “by your system”, which other system is there?

1 Like

Man take a chill pill. I am not “crazy” but if I have to listen to your poor attitude I might get a complex… and it would be all your fault. Perhaps you are “blink” sensitive because I have never noticed a “blink” when an aircraft “changes color because of altitude.”
As of today the only way to see the planes reported by your site is to go to you stats. What if there were a way to see which planes have been reported by you on the Skyview screen. One way is to either color (conflicts with altitude info ) or blink.
Try to be nice or I’m taking my “blinks” and go home.

I think the feed to FA is one-way from your Raspi to the FA database - there’s not a return feed where they could acknowledge which of your detected aircraft are currently being displayed on the FA site. Without that feedback loop, you don’t have the needed data to annotate your SkyView screen.

My guess is that it’s a signal strength decision tree - if your feeder has the strongest signal for an aircraft, then FA is probably using your feed for that aircraft.

Excuse me, the internet is hard in regards to humor / sarcasm.
Wasn’t anything more than a remark that i’m surprised anyone would want a webpage to blink.

Generally i would try to avoid blinking elements on any website, but that’s just my taste.
You obviously have a feature request and i’ll take a look at it.
Just wasn’t quite clear before what you wanted.

This is a feature request you need to make with @obj, not me as that would involve data the local webinterface currently doesn’t have access to.

Your data is always used by FA, so in a way you could always blink all aircraft.
The stats page only randomly decides which feeder to attribute a position to.
You can see that nicely in the flight track log:
Flight Track Log ✈ DLH101 31-Jan-2020 (MUC / EDDM-FRA / EDDF) - FlightAware

Each of those entities in the column “Reporting facility” is one feeder.
So every 30 seconds a different feeder “gets credit” toward a position received by FA.

Let’s assume i had access to that information, using that to make aircraft blink, would not really be a feature request i’d be considering, sorry.
You would have to modify the project yourself implementing it with a configuration option and then submitting your changes and i’d be willing to add them.

Sorry again for the misunderstanding, while i’m fine being direct and don’t try to be the nicest person on the internet, insulting someone is almost never what i aim for.

1 Like

If the return data is not available that would be the end of it anyway. Although “FLIGHTS WITH POSITIONS FROM THIS FEEDER ON FLIGHTAWARE.COM WITHIN THE LAST HOUR” seem likely to be a source if quired often enough. Hundred of thousands of messages get sent from my feeder and less than 3000 end up getting credit/used so I don’t think the issue is bandwidth or CPU cycles from FA’s point of view. On a busy day I track close to 200 aircraft at a time during peak times and occasionally see 1200 messages per second. Only a small fraction of any of that data ends up back in my stats page. Of course the other hundred sites in this neck of the woods all feel the same way no doubt.
I guess it all depends where you like to hang out, on the stats page or on skyview page.

Well, only one position every 5 or 10 seconds is transmitted to FA for each aircraft.

That’s scraping and against the terms of service.

SkyView? … this thread is about tar1090 :wink:
Anyhow this thread has had many tangents and it’s not an issue.

Customized web interface for dump1090-fa

What am I missing?

The title refers to this github project:
GitHub - wiedehopf/tar1090: Provides an improved webinterface for use with ADS-B decoders readsb / dump1090-fa

The interface SkyView as built upon wasn’t called SkyView, neither is tar1090 callsed SkyView as it’s sufficiently different (well at least in my opinion).

Maybe the thread title needs a change. (the first post is quite clear though)

I think I will stay off your threads from now on. It doesn’t seem productive for me and not worth the pain.

I was mainly curious if you had even realized what this thread was about.

Still not sure if you are asking for the feature you described to be added to tar1090 or SkyView.

In case you wanted to request a feature for SkyView, making your own thread might indeed be more productive, you should probably also mark one of the FA people to see if it’s feasible for FA to provide those data in some shape or form.

So i get that you are taking issue with me, but i’d much rather have specific information.
Say i wanted to change my behaviour, general statements that you are annoyed won’t help the situation.
Otherwise i’m happy to mirror your remarks in the future.

2 Likes

I can add making this available to the ideas list at least, though I don’t know if it’s going to be widely useful enough to put into the standard interface. The details of how the raw data is used are fairly complicated and trying to map the eventual results back to the raw data is going to be tricky.

That wil create the situation from FR24 where there were complains that some “radar” sites are favored in being used as sources on their website. Even if they claim it is “random”, is not looking to be that random, probably some caching mechanism is involved, don’t know. Example: a plane that I followed from ground level is “snatched” by a far-away site only when at 20 miles from me (when it got high enough to be visible to the other station). My station has a 200+ miles range.

So now, instead of the used radar being proudly displayed on their interface, you have to click to see it.

IMO adding this feature here will lead to the same discussions: “Why isn’t my site used more often?”
Ignorance is bliss…

2 Likes

I am not taking any issue with you. It is your speech, rather writing, that is abusive and condescending. Calling me “crazy” is perhaps it a writing style thing rather than a personality thing. You must decide if that is how you want to be perceived. Perhaps a 30 minute review of your previous posts might be instructive.
I apologize if if inappropriately stepped on your thread.