SWA616 -- U-turn

SWA616 (KTPA/KLAS) has just done a u-turn north of Dallas and is flying a 120 heading (appx).

Any news?

Altitude drop from 38,000 to 3200 in 7 minutes … looks like an emergency landing at KDAL.

Any news?

SWA616 now shows arrival at KDAL at 11:23 CST (diverted). That’s the time I picked up the u-turn, with the six-minute delay built in. :astonished:

Any news yet?

flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA616 now shows the flight scheduled to take off from KDAL to KLAS at 11:53 CST.

With no news yet, this would appear to be a sick or unruly passenger and not a mechanical problem.

I saw it before we reflected the diversion and the map actually looked cooler per-diversion since you could see most of the southern US and a big U-turn in the middle in comparison to seeing it at the upper left of the map right next to DAL. :slight_smile:

I think I first noticed the turn in the blown-up KDAL map, with several flights and one big u-turn standing out real pretty with that new plane icon. Fortunately it was far enough away from the ariport to show its ID block, which pointed out two oddities: 1) a u-turn on a commercial flight (that was not to line up on an approach path for landing), and 2) SWA flight in green on the KDAL map, meaning it was supposed to be an overflight and not a blue KDAL arrival.

The heading I saw at 11:23 CST was about 120. It didn’t point toward KDAL and looked more like an intended return to KTPA (which might have been even more intriguing).

the map actually looked cooler per-diversion since you could see most of the southern US and a big U-turn in the middle in comparison to seeing it at the upper left of the map right next to DAL.

Do you see a big “most of the southern US” map that isn’t available online??

Btw, the new plane icons sure make inbound and outbound radials for ATC much more obvious on the big maps than those little dots used to. Good job!