Steps to change WiFi on PiAware 8.2

I am changing one of my AP and need to change the SSID and PW on my Pi running 8.2. What are the steps and can I do this remotely via SSH?

Here’s a video how to do it.

Is it a Piaware image or the piaware script method on top of a Raspberry PI image?

The most comfortable way is to connect the Rasberry temporarily via LAN cable and change the WiFi account via SSH
But it depends on your network and the capability of using a cable.

It is an image when I upgraded and had to use the image as the previous version could not be upgraded remotely. It has a static IP and on my home network. I tried Putty to SSH to the Pi and it failed to connect so I may not have SSH enabled so I will pull the SD card and update it that way. Thanks

I have the SD card in my SanDisk reader but Windows say the SD is not readable and wants to format it. What am I missing?

Windows doesn’t recognise a linux file system and assumes it is in need of formatting.

Manual steps :wink:

2 - Enable SSH & WiFi

While the microSD card is still in the card reader of your Laptop/Desktop, in File Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac) click on drive letter of the microSD card (labelled boot) to open it. It will open folder /boot which has many files & few folders.

2.1 - SSH
In the folder /boot, create a new text file and name it ssh
For further details, please see “For Beginners - How-to SSH to RPi - Setup Putty in Windows”

For Piaware SD card image
username = pi
default password = flightaware

2.2 - WiFi (only if required)
In the folder /boot, you will find a file named “piaware-config.txt”. Open this file using a text editor like Notepad (Windows) orTextEdit (Mac).

In the opened file “piaware-config.txt”, scroll down till you see this text:

wireless-ssid MyWifiNetwork
wireless-password s3cr3t99

Replace MyWifiNetwork by your router’s wifi ssid, and s3cr3t99 by your router’s wifi password

To enable autmatic updates, while being in a ssh session issue the follwing commands:

sudo piaware-config allow-auto-updates yes
sudo piaware-config allow-manual-updates yes

This will enable you to update via the Flightaware stats page.

2 Likes

I get this

And do not see the folder you listed

I am flashing a new SD and I have my unique ID saved

image001.png

Prior to booting the image, leave the sd card in the drive after writing it and follow the steps in my previous post. Then you can ssh into it.
Or even beter, use the raspberry pi imager software and enable ssh when writing the software. It is under the advanced writing options.

Thanks, have new image with updated WiFi. Was able to see the SD after the new image was built. Thanks again for the help.