Skydiver almost gets hit by plane - 23 second video!

another close call ](- YouTube) 57 second video, 3 skydivers almost hit

Close call ](- YouTube) 23 second video

Do pedestrians still have the right of way? :wink:

You’d never jump out of an airplane if you realized how many jump zones are right next to, or right in the way of, major arrival flows into major airports. There are two right next to the SHAFF5 arrival into EWR, along the GDM3 arrival into BOS, and right next to the arrival gate into ALB. Thats just in ZBW. I know they like to jump in the way of the RAMMS/TOMSN arrivals in DEN as well. Not to mention, these pilots call up ATC for advisories, they say “1 minute till jump”, we issue traffic to them, and we don’t hear another word, they’ve opened the door, out they go, and they squawk 1200 and we never see them again. Its like, jeez, if you gave me another minute I’d get that B1900 out of your way. As my ground instructor once said: “never jump out of a perfectly good airplane”.

DM

The first one looked really close the second one not as much. In the second video it looked like it could have been the plane they jumped from…maybe the pilot was messing with them. We protect the area above the DZ the local sky dive company uses, or any DZ the military or other agency informs us they are using.

The first airplane was much closer, it looks like a chipmunk.
The second one, I thought it might have been the jump plane, but on closer inspection it appears to be a Dash 8 of some sort, not a skyvan or twotter or king air like most jump schools use.
This video shows a twin otter passing even closer than the second video above, though it was intentional.
And this one is my favorite of all. What a blast it is to fly jumpers!

NTSB Identification: MIA05LA096
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Saturday, April 23, 2005 in Deland, FL
Aircraft: de Havilland DHC-6, registration: N24HV
Injuries: 1 Fatal, 1 Uninjured.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On April 23, 2005, about 0915 eastern daylight time, a de Havilland DHC-6, N24HV, registered to Vertical Air Inc. and operated by Skydive Deland, Inc., as a Title 14 CFR Part 91 parachute operation, struck a cinematographer parachutist during a downwind approach to the landing runway at the Deland Municipal-Sidney H Taylor Field, Deland, Florida. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed and the flight was coordinated with FAA Daytona Beach Approach. The pilot reported no injuries and the cinematographer parachutist received fatal injuries. The airplane incurred substantial damage to the left wing. The flight originated from the same airport earlier that day, about 0855.

According to witnesses, the airplane was about 13,500 feet above ground level (agl), when 14 parachutists were released for the skydive over the Deland airport. Several witnesses stated they saw the cinematographer parachutist descending toward the center of the field and was at about 600 feet agl when the airplane, which was on a left downwind approach for runway 30, collided with him. Another witness stated he heard a loud sound and looked to see a parachutist canopy deflating, and the accident airplane heading in a south-southeast direction, about an attitude of 400 to 500 feet agl and 3/4 mile from and parallel to the landing runway. He saw the canopy reinflate and could see the parachutist had been struck by the airplane. The cinematographer parachutist descended between the hangars and runway before landing.

Newspaper Article of this incident](Earth Times | News and Information about Environmental Issues)
Killer Twin Otter](De Havilland Canada DHC-6-100 Twin Otter - Skydive Deland (Vertical Air) | Aviation Photo #0761202 | Airliners.net)

Today is…6/4/07 Just read you message about this skydiver & airplane video. Like to have watched it…U TUBE has taken this video off line…Sorry. but thanks anyway for the info…

hmmm, old thread, but I just received a ‘pm’ asking for the 23 second near miss video, so here is another link.

Click Here a very close call!!!

Meatmissiles.

Do you happen to have a link for the other video?

Sorry, can’t find it, however here is the only parachutist that got hit by a car while still in the air, Click Here

“As it made a turn without signaling…” Is that supposed to be a corny joke or did it just come out that way?

Something should be done about skydiving. I once was riding with a buddy, on an IFR flight plan cruising at 4000 feet. Fortunately it was VMC, and we spotted the string of jumpers in time to deviate away from them. ATC had no knowledge of the jump, and being IFR we were not monitoring CTAFs. If we had not been VMC, or did not visually acquire the skydivers as they passed our altitude, the story might have ended much differently.

While we’re complaining about skydivers, how can they just throw cars or whatever out of a plane? Just because it looks cool to video doesn’t necessarily mean it’s safe - even if there’s nobody underneath it. I’m not one, so I don’t know, but surely there has to be some sort of regulations as to what skydivers can legally throw from a plane - isn’t there? And I guess once it crashes back to earth, they just leave the pieces out there in the desert? Forget running into a skydiver while flying - imagine running into a chop-topped yugo or whatever that is/was.

Regs? Is there a FAA test for skydiving?

Very common in SoCal to be IFR above a solid layer and skydivers are jumping. The planes are penetrating the IFR layer without a clearance too. Both Parris and Elsinore are real bad about this.