Run Run as fast as you can away from Flightaware!!

We and hundreds of others are completely frustrated with getting our Piaaware to work. they claim it’s fast and easy but nothing is further from the truth. 3 months and hundreds of dollars we are still unable to claim like so many others They don’t have easy instructions and everything we do just adds more problems. No diagrams, no easy to understand directions and they DO NOT TELL YOU WHAT YOU NEED.

Save your money and get away from them

Sorry that you’re having trouble. You may want to try the ADS-B forum for support (I assume you haven’t, since this is your first and only post so far), or mail adsbsupport@flightaware.com.

Approx 6000 other people got it working OK.

Wow, people need to step up. I see a real source of easy money here! Selling toasters that all you have to do is plug it in!

I don’t see what is so hard about buying a RPi, inserting a SD Ram card, plugging it in…

What could go wrong??

I have no clue how to code, but somehow I managed to set up a Pi, and a Virtual Radar Server using it’s dataso I can use it at my job.

Also, for future help,

The forums here, or my two favorites… www.google.com

Did someone turn the troll filter off?

There are clear and concise instructions right here: http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/build

Heck, I have completely failed in getting VRS to work, but I got PiAware to work with both dump1090-FA and with dump1090-mutability.

Who? You appear to be the only one.

Have you seen this thread? Marcus Günther (mgunther) has written a very easy step by step instruction to configure VRS

ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/vrs-show-both-dump1090-adsb-and-fa-mlat-positions-t36086.html

Gentlemen!
The person who started this thread (stormsteiger) seems to be unable to succeed and therefore extremely frustrated. He needs help, not criticism. Please dont be harsh to him.
Thank you.

I do hope you’re saying this with your tongue firmly planted in your cheek…

Seriously?? My 12 year old set one up as an experiment from the instructions on here… it’s not that hard …

No I had not seen that one, though I have searched and searched. I have a Mac and I can’t even get it set up for VRS, but I keep trying.

The person who started this thread (stormsteiger) seems to be unable to succeed and therefore extremely frustrated. He needs help, not criticism.

abcd567 - you are a considerate gentleman.

My immediate thought was “Don’t feed the troll”

Let’s see if he/she responds. If not, everyone just let this post slip into oblivion by not responding further :slight_smile:

Should note MLAT nolonger works in VRS that I can tell.

It works for me.
What port are you using?

Status of my VRS (checked 4 hrs ago for some other reason): Both ADS-B signal (directly from antenna), as well as MLAT (feed back from FlightAware) working ok.

Settings in VRS are as follows:
Format AVR or Beast:
ADSB receiver Port 30005, MLAT receiver Port 30105.

OR
Format Basestation:
ADSB receiver Port 30003, MLAT receiver Port 30106.

Settings in piaware:
In the piaware-config.txt, the mlat settings by default match the above settings.

Anyone posting “Run Run as fast as you can away from Flightaware” isn’t looking for help. They’re just trolling. Don’t assume any goodwill. The person will never return to this thread.

Why is this thread even still here?

Can I have your stuff

Ship it to me and Ill put it to good use.

He’s not the only one. The FlightAware download/configuration page SUCKS MY BALLZ. Most people who get into using the software aren’t electronics engineers, programmers, or other highly technical people. They are enthusiasts by and large. Guys who are into planes and not computers. It’s sad that the Mods/Admin of the site can’t get it through their thick skullz that many people would just like to download an image, burn it to a SD and just have it work!

And really, what’s so wrong with that. People are buying their own equipment, providing a free data feed to FlightAware where FA make money off all this… and FA can’t just make it work? That’s seriously WTF! There is little to no documentation on the software, sparse install information on the site without having to dig into the forums. For all the time they take into writing the code, they really can’t just sit down for the day and write ONE page on how to just make it work? That’s not lazy… it’s STUPID!

I just downloaded the latest image, and now it’s asking me for a userid and password after installing it and starting it for the first time… there is no mention on the installation page on what this is for… nothing! Why? I have no idea is this my FA account or what? Sure common sense tells me to input my FA info… but why can’t some just document this so there is no guess work. Isn’t that what software developers do (been one myself for 30 years), don’t they take code and make it work to solve a particular problem or task. If you don’t know how to use the s/w you won’t get the benefit of it…

And what is even sadder… is there are other idiots out there that make some lame argument NOT to create some installation information for enthusiasts… where is the logic in that?

By alienating thousands of people because ‘they should be technical enough’, FlightAware is doing no one any good. That attitude is what stifles growth and pushes people away from getting involved in aviation… not what aviation needs today where private pilots are leaving in the thousands yearly!