Retiring my old 2.2 configuration for new 3.5 configuration

So I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade everything. New Pi, Flightstick…everything. So when the time comes to stand up the new Pi, the stats from my existing unit will roll to the new one with no intervention from me?

Jim

Your intervention will be required if you want to retain stats of existing Pi. You will have to spoof the MAC Address of new Pi.

Changes to how new PiAware feeders are identified

Thanks muchly

Actually, that’s not gonna work… I’m still running 2.1… I don’t see a feeder id, of course, in piaware.out.

Any other ideas? My Site ID is 3008.

Jim

I guess the link was just for your information, it does not explain how to spoof the mac address.

Try this obrienlabs.net/raspberry-pi-spoof-mac-address/

You want to keep the site ID. You will probably have to shut down the old pi. It can’t still upload to FA due to MAC collision.
Check the MAC addr of the 2.1 pi as that is what is used to ID the site.
Update your /boot/cmdline.txt to add this to the end smsc95xx.macaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx where the x’s are the MAC
mine looks like this:

vdwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait smsc95xx.macaddr=b8:27:eb:74:3a:af
Joel
IDs 407, 2394, 6699 et al.

Thanks. That’s the route I think I will have to go. Sounds like it worked well for you? What versions are you running?

JimCander,
Oliver (OBJ) said in this thread that the method I suggested doesn’t work. Mua culpa. My apologies. :blush:
ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/changes-to-how-new-piaware-feeders-are-identified-t38801.html

Old sites are still identified by MAC address so you can keep the site id by keeping the MAC address.
New sites are identified by feeder id so you can keep the site by copying the feeder id

You need to pick the right approach based on how the site is identifed. Look at whether the ‘site identifier’ on the stats page is a MAC address or a UUID

Eventually everything will work by feeder id, but not yet

It’s a MAC address site running 2.1. I want to completely replace the hardware with latest and greatest. I guess I’m stuck until you are able to migrate/ merge a MAC site with a feeder ID site.

If you’re willing to set the MAC address on the new device as described above, you can move your old site by doing that.

Is there a downside of me doing this? I have no problem setting the MAC on the new B that I want to stand up.

No major downside other than you have to remember to do it each time you re-image, and you can’t have two devices with the same MAC address on the same network.

obj -

Cool. Thanks for the great support on this. I assume I don’t need to download dump1090-mutability anymore with this? I’ve lost track of everything since 3 came out. I was running such a customized version of everything I just didn’t want to touch it until now.

Jim

The simplest starting point is to use the PiAware 3.5 image. If you want to heavily customize it, it’s probably better to start from Raspbian jessie lite and install piaware / dump1090-fa from packages.

dump1090-fa has mostly the same internals as dump1090-mutability (if anything it is more up to date currently) so it’s mostly just about which UI you prefer.

Thanks Oliver - I was wondering what the differences were; I might just leave both my systems running 1.15dev and the original web interface as is for the moment (that wonderful thing called time prioritization …)

Cheers

Andrew

1 Like