Upgrading site hardware

I will be upgrading my feeder hardware from a Pi B+ to a Pi 3 with FA Pro. When I do the switch over, do I lose the site statistics since the new site will have a different MAC address? I will only be running one site and the location will be the same using my roof mounted antenna.

Yes, I lost my stats on upgrade to Pi 3. New mac address = new feeder site on FA’s end.

I heared there are ways to spoof a MAC address, so that Pi3’s MAC address can be changed to the MAC address of Pi B+. The FA will think this is Pi B+, will continue with same station number, and you will not loose your data.

If someone knows how to do this, posting the method will help the poor souls.

Found this by Google search:
Raspberry Pi: How to install and use macchanger
m.youtube.com/watch?v=6QHDgOpX4vE

Note: I have NOT yet tried this software (macchanger). Has any one tried it?

Maybe someone at Flight Aware can update the servers on their end to accept a new MAC under an old site? Possible feature request?

I already asked OBJ. At the moment they can’t.

If you are going to use both the Pi3 (for FA) and PiB+ (for some other job) connected to the same LAN, when you make MAC address Pi3 = MAC address of Pi B+, you will drive your router crazy, as it will find two devices with the same MAC address. In this case, change the MAC address of Pi B+ also.

Found an easy method to change MAC address (thanks to ieand). Please see this post:

http://discussions.flightaware.com/post190344.html#p190344

That may not work. that is for an Orange Pi.

On a real Raspberry Pi, it is normally done by editing the /boot/cmdline.txt file and adding the following to the end of the line smsc95xx.macaddr=##:##:##:##:##:##

where ##:##:##:##:##:## is the MAC of your previous pi.

Cheers!
LitterBug

@LitterBug:
Thanks. I tried your method on RPi Model2, and it worked.
Reboot is required after editing file /boot/cmdline.txt.

After modifications & reboot command, when tried to SSH on RPi’s existing local IP, could not. Thought this modification has damaged the pi or os, then realized that with new mac address, my router has assigned a new local IP ! Could SSH using new IP. :slight_smile:

After successful trial, reverted to original MAC address & local IP address by removing the entry “smsc95xx.macaddr=##:##:##:##:##:##” from the file “/boot/cmdline.txt”, and then reboot.

abcd567,
That is how I have been able to accomplish this:
Longest Streak: 401 days (23-Feb-2015 - Today)
even though I updated to a Pi2 after MLAT CPU load was too much for the Pi B+ to keep up. Had the Pi2 running in parallel off a copy of the B+ image. Once everything looked good, just flipped the MAC addresses between the boxes. The B+ is more than enough for running UAT-978 here in the US, just need to get that antenna back on the mast…

:smiley:

Cheers!
LitterBug

I was able to use win32diskimager to copy the SD when going from the B+ to the Pi2. I use it to do full offline backups of the SD cards periodically as well. Unfortunately it is not possible to use the old image with the Pi3. But on the plus side, the wonderful install scripts have taken the pain out of building it all from scratch again. :slight_smile: