Raspberry Pi 4 not booting

Hi Folks.

Bit of a strange one. I had a RP 4 all set up and running with Piaware plus a feed into FR24 and 360 Radar.

I realised on Saturday that somehow I had forgotten to add in the FR24 so added it in and all appeared to be going fine until last night when I logged in and realised it was offline. I tried to ssh into it but it wouldn’t let me so I went into work and rebooted it. Luckily before I left, I checked it to discover it still hadn’t booted so connected it to a monitor.

What I’m seeing is, it’s booting in so far on the PI 4 to the point where it says on the screen system-user-sessions.service but goes no further.

If I put the card in a RP3, it boots perfectly

Anyone any ideas as to why it won’t boot on the RP4 past the above message?

Cheers

Declan

Check the md5 on your image to ensure it was not corrupted during the download.

Reflash your sdcard using something like etcher that verifies the flash.
Seems your SD card is corrupted somehow :wink:

Or as an in between step, remove on the Pi3 the FR24 setup and check if it boots on the Pi4 ?

I had no end of trouble with both of my Pi 4s running POE. The 4 needs all the amps it can get as opposed to the 3. With the 3 Amp adapters - it would not boot up reliably, crash, lock up. The 4 Amp adapters and the POE hat work flawlessly. The 4 is a tricky wicket power wise it seems.

Yes. It’s a strange one as it had been working. I don’t use POE as power is available and I’m using a 3A PSU.

I’m going to look at building it from scratch. i.e, not use the 8.2 image and see what happens

Cheers

Declan

I was helping someone that was seeing this same hang.

This could be very much coincidental, but I suggested he remove splash from the cmdline.txt to see if we can get some more info and he said he was able to pass the hang after he did that

Probably not a bad idea to invest in one of those USB sticks that have volts and amps displayed, they are not expensive. One link below, I did find the read out a wee bit on the small side for this, I have one with a larger read out but currently unavailable.

At least can check if volts or amps may be the issue.

Geoff

1 Like

Strangely, I put the card in a third RP4 and it booted straight away :person_shrugging::person_shrugging:

I then shut it down and inserted it into the original RP4 and guess what, it booted perfectly :flushed::person_shrugging::roll_eyes:

I used the same PSU and card. It grates that I have to go back into work to install the RP4 as that is where the main antenna is installed. Got caught today when trying to reboot the Pi and ended up doing a wee bit if work before I could clear off home. :joy::joy:

Cheers all. I’ll post how I get on.

Regards

Declan

1 Like

I’ll visit the splash issue if it happens again although it’s weird that it boots into a RP3 without any issue

Cheers

Declan

This…is exactly what helped me. Good purchase and tool to have.

1 Like