PiAware Rebooting?

My station just sits there 24/7/365 doing its stuff and occasionally I will update some of the packages with the usual sudo apt update and sudo apt full-upgrade but I haven’t done this in months now mainly because it tells me that there is an update to PiAware 7.2 and I am not sure if I should upgrade?

Last few times I looked it seemed to be that only the SDCard should be updated not the add-on package unless I have missed something? My FA Feeder page doesn’t show an upgrade is available either.

However this morning I got the reboot notification from FA (or is it FR24?) and I thought maybe the upgrade had taken place automatically but when I checked I was still on 6.1

But then a couple of hours after I got another reboot notification which is really unusual as I said before it just sits there 24/7/365 without issue.

I do in addition feed RB24, FR24 and ADSBx but all those are checking out OK although it could be one of those could be causing the reboot but how do I find out what is actually causing the reboot?

As I said no updates have been installed in a few months now and the Pi is not used for anything other than feeding the above sites.

Is anybody else seeing these reboot notifications I wonder?

Running a Pi4/4GB/Buster if it might help…

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Most likely it’s the power supply (not necessarily, but a good place to start).
If you have a screen plugged in, look for the low power symbol or check the logs.

Thanks for the quick reply geckoVN but I think its unlikely to be a power issue in this instance.

I feed all 5 of my Pi’s from a PoE switch and the Pi I use for VR is hanging off Port 10 shown highlighted in the screenshot.

I don’t have a screen connected but do connect through RDP and haven’t noticed a low power alert on the desktop.

In addition I’ve issued both vcgencmd get_throttled and got 0x0 as the result and didn’t see any reference to under-voltage after issuing a dmesg command and not sure where else to look?

It would appear the other Pi’s are fine so still unsure as to why the issue might be…and I have just had the 4th reboot alert today! That’s more than I’ve had all year and then only after I update & reboot.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Piaware 7.2 is based on Bullseye OS.
So that’s why I suspect you don’t get an update notification while being on Buster.

The cause of the reboot notification could be that a kernel package for Buster has updated and that the Pi needs to reboot to get that into action.

Piaware 7.2 can also be updated through the package option.
Usually the PiAware image is released first and then shortly after the package version will be released as well.

Nice setup @GlynH
I run several Pi’s off a simpler and unmanaged PoE switch. So far, I haven’t had a problem with the switch, but several splitters have gone soft and needed replacing.

If you keep having problems, try swapping a pair of splitters and see if the problem follows the splitter or remains with the Pi.

Thanks for the reply Tom,

Ah that would explain why I haven’t noticed an update to v7.x on the FA webpage then unless I’ve missed something? It appears I could update by sudo apt-update & sudo apt full-upgrade but figured I’d wait until it was ready for the masses. I always get nervous when updating my VR Pi…

Well I get this reboot notification after the Pi has rebooted which has been @once per hour since 10am this morning! No need to reboot it any more…

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Thanks geckoVN,

Well that particular switch powers 10 devices directly from its ethernet ports so no splitters anywhere to be replaced I’m afraid.

I have however got a handle on this. Checking the switch itself it seems to be rebooting @every hour but I have no idea why? It has been in my equipment rack since 2016 and doesn’t get any updates any more as it has been deprecated with the last update from DrayTek 10/7/2018 and no config changes for a couple of years at least.

It is powered from an APC SmartUPS 1500 RM2U that powers more than a few boxes. That is currently showing 100% battery capacity (it had a new genuine APC battery pack last year) and is only under 13.6% load not even illuminating any of the output LED’s giving me 31 minutes runtime.

Looks like I’m going to have to do a deeper dig as when the switch reboots it drops PoE not only to the 5 Pi’s but 2 IPCCTV cameras and all 3 WAP’s causing many Wi-Fi devices to go offline momentarily not to mention it resets the fibre links to 3 other PoE switches…what a pain.

At least I have a steer on where to look now…

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

I meant at the Pi end, or are you using the Pi PoE-hat?

Hmm … that’s not a happy switch.
good luck!

Whenever I order a Pi I always order a PoE/PoE+ HAT so have never used a splitter although I have 10 other small hub-type devices that would benefit from PoE so I might lose the PSU that takes up socket space and give splitters a try in the not too distant future.

Tell me about it & thanks! The problem is compounded a little because I take one of the outputs from the APC 1500 UPS into an APC Masterswitch and from there I feed 8 different devices so it could be UPS, Masterswitch or Switch causing the problem.

As the switch reboots roughly every hour I guessed the next event time and sat and watched 48 different LEDS across all 3 devices and sure enough the switch dropped its port LEDS briefly, the UPS stayed as is but I blinked and missed the LED’s on the Masterswitch as they are mainly obscured by Cat6 cables!

The other devices fed from the UPS seem to be OK so I shall rule that out for now.

The Masterswitch is suspect as it is a very old device but it could of course still be the switch itself.

Next step will be to power the switch directly from a separate mains cable thus eliminating both the UPS and Masterswitch and see what happens. If it still reboots then its definitely the switch.

If not then maybe its just the one port on the Masterswitch feeding the switch because the other 7 devices appear not to suffer the same issue. For example I feed my router from the same Masterswitch and that hasn’t rebooted.

Whichever way a little detective work is needed before I can resolve the issue.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.