Plane from Millville, NJ crashes research mission .....

A Cessan 337 Skymaster with 4 onboard crashed just beyond the runway of NJ 's private Eagle’s Nest Airport, 31E. Two reported dead.

thedailyjournal.com/apps/pbc … 18001/1002

Eagles Nest isn’t private.

According to Airnav.com, Eagles Nest is privately owned.
Ownership: Privately-owned
Owner: KUMMINGS EAGLES AIRPORT INC
122 HEMSLEY PL
NORTHFIELD, NJ 08225
Phone 609-641-5822
Manager: DIANE KUMMINGS
301 FORGE ROAD
WEST CREEK, NJ 08092
Phone 609-296-8432

It is opened to the public, though.

That’s the meaning of it isn’t private.

In general aviation terms a private airport is one that isn’t open to the public.

The actual ownership of the airport, public entity or private party, is irrelevant.

Need a foot?

I was under the impression that a private airport that wasn’t opened to the public was a restricted airport. I’m interested in your source.
Thanks.

You might consider taking the time to understand what you post. You posted:

That means that any plane can land there even though the airport is owned by a private party. So no, it is not a “restricted airport” (whatever that means).

Definition of a private use airport easily found in Google.

codes.ohio.gov/orc/4563.30 (note number 3)

FAA flavor can be found at avn.faa.gov/content/naco/Form7480_1.pdf and note the General Instructions Section B.

I appreciate the solidarity Allen and CAFlier, but I find it difficult to believe that even David is so stupid as to not read what he’s writing.

Either that or I fear we’re being trolled to see if he can get a rise out of us.

Or perhaps he really is delusional enough to feel secure in attempting to correct a statement made by an ATP certificated professional pilot? Who trained and lives here in south Jersey and has been to 31E innumerable times? Probably doesn’t realize that we also know it as the home of the Balsa Busters RC Club? It’s only 30 air miles away?

Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…

Why not? It is no harder to believe than all of the other ignorant, incorrect or uninformed things he has posted. Someone has to anchor that end of the curve.

It appears we are both right about a private airport. Here’s what I’m basing my statement on:
AC 150/5190-6, page 9, states:

l. Public Airport. Means an airport open for public use and that is publicly owned and controlled by a public agency.
m. Public-Use Airport. Means either a public airport or a privately owned airport open for public use.

I am NOT trying to be argumentative here. I’m just interpreting what I read.

CFIJames: Comments?

So where’s the government’s definition of private airport.

I didn’t say you were wrong, just ballsy to ignorantly comment on J’s remark.

Yes, you’re being argumentative when you can’t simply accept clarification on a matter from someone who knows more about it than you, say thanks and move on to the next subject.

EAGLESWOOD, N.J. – One of two men who died in a plane crash in New Jersey was the trainer who prepared Keiko the whale for release into the wild.

Forty-one-year-old Stephen Claussen of Seattle was in New Jersey to study how proposed offshore wind turbines might affect birds and water mammals. He was best known for his work with the whale star of the movie “Free Willy.”

Plane owner John Ambroult of Eastham, Massachusetts, also died in the crash last weekend. Two other marine mammal experts, 28-year-old Jacalyn Toth Brown of Pemberton and 43-year-old Juan Carlos Salinas of Mexico City, survived.

A cellular telephone call from Salinas led police to the wrecked Cessna in a densely wooded area in the New Jersey Pinelands on Saturday afternoon.

Let’s all not get uptight here.

Let’s look at the VFR sectional charts for some guidance.

Airports shown without a runway configuration and marked with a magenta circled “R” are “private” resticted use airports. The Washingotn Sectional Chart tabular page defines it this way:" Private “(Pvt)” - Non-Public use having emergency or landmark value"

The Eagles Nest airport, on the otherhand is charted as a magenta solid circle i.e not a private resrticted airport, with a runway depicted. That is defined on the chart as “Hard-surfaced runways 1500 ft. to 8089 feet in length.”

Didn’t realize I stirred up such an argument.
Fantastic!