PiAware Kit Setup

Hi,
I got the PiAware kit. I looked at the configuration instructions, and on the back of the first page, below the blue text, “Configurating your PiAware,” it says, "The fully pre-configured SD card includes a default configuration file. Does this mean that I can skip the part where it says to flash the images file onto the SD card? I got the impression that all of the tools I need to set the device up are included in the kit.
Regards,
Kevin Davis

Your assumption should be correct.

2 Likes

If you bought the kit, then yes, it should be configured already. The only reason for you to flash an image to that SD card would be if you want to run a full Raspbian OS image. Most of the features of Raspbian OS that a beginner might want are included on the Flight Aware image.

Thanks! So what page in the user guide should I start with? Even the setup video seemed to only show how to set the device up from scratch rather than with the kit. I couldn’t find any videos on how to set it up with the kit, either.
Thanks!

I should already be configured, so all you need to do is insert the SD card into the Raspberry Pi. Then you can connect everything and plug-in the device. Then start from Section 3 on the build your own PiAware page.

If you insert the SD card and it doesn’t start up or you receive an error, then either a) it wasn’t imaged, or b) the image was damaged. Either way, you’ll then need to image the card. In that case, start from Section 2.

I took a crack at setting it up today and only got to the part where I put in the SD card. In the installation video, the ports look way bigger than the ones in the unit I got. This is what I have done so far.

The video probably shows USB-A full-sized ports for a Raspberi Pi 2, 3, or 4. This appears to be a Pi Zero W, so you’ll have a USB port for power, and then a separate USB port to connect an adapter, then that adapter to your radio dongle.

You should have an USB adapter that looks something like this:

You’ll plug your radio dongle into that, and that will plug into the USB port on the left from the perspective of your photo (the one nearer the middle of the board).

You should also have a power supply that looks something like this:

This will plug into the other USB port near the end of the board.