PiAware 7 SD Card Image Released

That would cause involuntary beta testing by everyone using the repository (it’s not easy to separate out just one distribution as things are set up). Doing that over Xmas / New Year, while many of the FA staff (including myself!) are on leave, is not a good plan. So the full release including repository update will wait until January. We just ran out of time before the holiday period.

The early sdcard release was about getting some eyes on the BLE / Pi Zero 2 support.

3 Likes

I did see that my Piaware 7.0 once again was offline for several hours this afternoon. Piaware Skyaware was showing traffic but seams that my Pi have lost communication with Flightaware. I tried to send a reboot command from the website but nothing happened. This happened several times yesterday. So I reverted back to image 6.1 until things get sorted out.

That makes sense of course :slight_smile:

I thought the Raspbian mirror was separated by release automatically and the repo for piaware debs was a separate server?
Maybe i misunderstood the issue that was mentioned.

So the issue wasn’t that you couldn’t install packages but rather apt update didn’t return 0?
Ok that’s fine then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Flashed the new image onto SD and set up my PiAware on my RPI4b (4GB RAM) with no problems, but have a couple of questions:

1. When will there be a package installer so I can install 7.0 on top of the newest release of Raspberry OS with a GUI (Ie, so my RPI isn’t just a dedicated PiAware)?
  2. Can I also feed to other sites simultaneously with PiAware 7.0 beta, or not yet?
  3. If yes, what are the commands I should input to download them and set them up for (eg, Flightradar24, ADSBexchange, etc)?

Reference for some useful stuff you can install: Raspbian Lite: ADS B receiver · wiedehopf/adsb-wiki Wiki · GitHub

In case of the piaware image you already have a decoder and my install script for readsb will not even install on the piaware sd-card image.
But the other stuff usually works well.
If you start with normal Raspbian you could of course also use dump1090-fa as a decoder … not an issue in regards to that guide.

Just wait for the normal piaware 7 release … this is beta, i’m sure it will be announced, i think someone said a couple of weeks.

1 Like

I have installed FR24 on piaware 7.0 Beta. However it needed a little workaround. Please scroll up few posts or click here to see it.

1 Like

Official package installer will not be far away, and I recommend you wait for it.

However if you dont want to wait, you can install unofficial copies I have built and uploaded to Github. If you install my unofficial copies, these wont have future automatic upgrade facility. To get Flightaware support and future upgrades, you will have to install official ones over unofficial packages when official packages are released. Please click here to see the How-To.

If you decide to install the unofficial version now and replace these by official packages from Flightaware later, then when installing official version, dont forget to first delete my repository from your Pi’s apt sources list by following command:

sudo rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/abcd567a.list

sudo apt update

1 Like

Yes – and in fact our Raspbian bullseye mirror is already up and should be working fine.

The issue above was with the piaware bullseye repository which the piaware sdcard refers to but which doesn’t exist yet:

E: The repository 'http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages bullseye Release' does not have a Release file.

1 Like

Hello All,

I was just wondering if the LCD image only outputs to a GPIO screen or is there a way to get the output via hdmi?

Give this a try

How do I force my Raspberry Pi to HDMI?

2. Force HDMI display

1. Insert the SD card in another device.
  2. Open the boot/config.txt files with a compatible reader (nano or vi)
  3. Look for the following two lines: #hdmi_force_hotplug=1. …
  4. Remove the # at the beginning of each line.
  5. Save and remove the SD card.
  6. Mount the card in the Raspberry Pi and the monitor should work.
1 Like

Hi Smokey,

Welcome to the group.

Geoff

Hello all,

today i downloaded the official Release of Piaware 7.0 image from the homepage

if i run:

sudo apt update i get following errors:

pi@piaware:~ $ sudo apt update
Hit:1 http://flightaware.com/mirror/raspbian/raspbian bullseye InRelease
Ign:2 http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages bullseye InRelease
Hit:3 http://flightaware.com/mirror/raspberrypi/debian bullseye InRelease
Err:4 http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages bullseye Release
404 Not Found [IP: 206.253.81.28 80]
Reading package lists... Done
E: The repository 'http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages bullseye Release' does not have a Release file
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
pi@piaware:~ $

how could i fix these error?

Hello Ar0mE, welcome to the forums.

Version 7 isn’t released yet as a package install.

So the available version is 6.1 based on buster (not bullseye).

The SD card image of version 7 in currently in beta, release of the 7.0 package should be somewhere next week.

1 Like

@Ar0mE
You cannot fix it. The piaware SD card image you installed is a Beta version. This error will be fixed when Flightaware releases regular version. Please see this:

hello,

i can only download the Version 7 from the Flightaware homepage. So i think this must be the official Image Version. They removed the link to the Version 6 Image.

On this page is the link to the 6.1 version, it’s listed under step 2

1 Like

sorry,

now i looked again at the Homepage and Version 6.1 is available. I don`t know why but okey. I download now Version 6.1 thank you for your help :slight_smile:

10 minutes ago 7.0 was available, now i refreshed the page and 6.1 is available…
I thought I was already crazy.

Hi,

I can get it to the command line but I want it to show and boot into the image

@send2gl - Thanks, long time lurker, first time poster!

next week has arrived, soooo… any updates? :sunglasses:

1 Like