PiAware 7 SD Card Image Released

Did a clean SD card install on my test site, online at 5:07pm Eastern time, Pi Zero 2W, seems OK.

1 Like

Did a clean install of following, and running successfully following

Station # OS Machine Feeder software
5252 Piaware SD Card img 7.0 RPi Model4
1 Gb
piaware 7.0
dump1090-fa 7.0
Not running dump978-fa, will have to make a DIY antenna

6396 Armbian Bullseye OrangePiPC
1 Gb
Package Install:
piaware 7.0
dump1090-fa 7.0

76000 RaspberryPi OS Bullseye RPi Model4
4 Gb
Package Install
piaware 7.0
dump1090-fa 7.0
dump978-fa 7.0
1 Like

I have MLAT enabled on my Zero 2W, seems fine Multilateration (MLAT): Supported / Enabled (synchronized with 483 nearby receivers), cpu is around 10%.

Very easy to install.
Running on a RPi 3B+ with 64 Gb SD Card Image.
Merry XMAS for erveryone.

Piaware7

2 Likes

Package install based on dev versions ? They are not released yet are they ?
Thanks for your reply

No, the version 7.0 ā€œpackagesā€ are not yet released officially and are not yet available for installation by command sudo apt-get install [package_name].

I have built these packages right on my RPi by cloning their source-code from Flightaware repositories at Github.

3 Likes

Easy re-image and up and running.

1 Like

I cant speak for everyone on this new imagine but I do see a improvement on performance on the 1090 side. I am actually seeing acft further out than I have seen before. We shalll see over the course of time. Thanks for the new image and shout t abcd567 for some extra help.

1 Like

Well that was the workaround for installing FR24 feeder on Piaware SD card img ver 7.0 (Bullseye).

The FR24 bash script first issues command apt-get update and fails with following error message:

E: The repository 'http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages bullseye Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
pi@piaware:~ $

The reason for failure is the 3rd line (set -e) at start of their bash script. I simply commebted out this line and ran the script, and it successfully installed FR24 feeder

pi@piaware:~ $ wget http://repo.feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh

pi@piaware:~ $ sudo nano install_fr24_rpi.sh

#!/bin/bash

# Stop on first error
set -e 

Place # at start of 3rd line set -e so it becomes #set -e
Save file, then issue following command:

pi@piaware:~ $ sudo bash install_fr24_rpi.sh

2 Likes

Yep @gekoVN. @obj recommended a new power supply a couple of years ago. Works great!

Capture3

2 Likes

So often a reliability problem is due to power, it really should be the first thing to check.

In this case, the power is provided by a 4-port PoE switch (which sends 48V up the Cat5 cable).
Iā€™d powered down the Pi to replace the SD card by pulling the RJ45 from the PoE splitter, but when I put it back together, there was a problem (presumable dirty contact - occupational hazard in the tropics)
Removing and reinserting the RJ45 several times has fixed the problem.

Pre-empting similar problems on other ports, Iā€™ve since treated each connector with Contact Cleaner/Lube.

I noticed today I had several email notifications that my Piaware was offline. I have 7.0 installed. So I went back and did a clean re-image and added no third party apps. Now looking at the online log it seams that it reports sending messages every 5 minutes or so. So is this a issue? My local Piaware-skyaware is showing plenty activity.

Performed a clean install but re-used the identifier. Operating with a few small things to be fixed.

pi model 2B v1.1
Revision : a01041
SoC : BCM2836
RAM : 1GB

I wrote a new 16GB SD card using balenaEtcher.

Added the identifier to the config file (/boot/piaware-config.txt), plus my WiFi credentials (although it is also connected to ethernet directly)
Added a blank file called ssh

Worked first time on boot. But the attached waveshare clone display is showing all blank. I remember there was something needed to be modified when I first installed the display. I think I had to make a driver change when I first loaded the piaware 4 or 5 image, which survived the upgrade to 6 but obviously not a clean install. I will check and get back to you (I think that I put it in the forums somewhereā€¦). graphs1090 is not responding so I guess it is not included and I need to re-install.

Your stats page updates every 5min, your data is logged much more often.
What you are seeing is perfectly normal.

2 Likes

Graphs1090 (and Tar1090) are not provided in the image.
You can get them here:

1 Like

That means it canā€™t be tested with extra software which many people use.
Not sure what the downside is of having your mirror up already, no matter the release status?

Switched back to the original card with piaware 6.1. Now the lcd works again. and when I check the original install it worked without any tweaks at all to the driver, but back then I believe that you issued an image specifically for the LCD.

Does the provided piaware7 image have support for the LCD yet or is that coming later?

@elentophanes Iā€™ve added the link to the LCD image to the original post. Did a quick boot test here and it looks OK. Let us know if you see any issues with setup.

2 Likes

Works perfectly with the LCD image. Display configured automatically and all operational, a very easy and quick process.

Thanks @eric1tran :smiley:

1 Like

thanks @abcd567 for that fix. :grinning:

Now my flightradar24 is running as well. Really nice that you spotted that ā€˜escape on errorā€™ in the flightradar24 install script.

1 Like