New to RPi and Flightaware: Question about storage

Hi, I am new to this hardware and software, and my SD card is already full after tracking flights for three days. Is there a way to store the feed so it does not fill up my storage so quickly? I switched from an 8 Gb to an 128 Gb SD card, expanded storage, and accept updates. What to do? Can the data be moved to widgets, emailed, and then erased? I have cloud storage. Can I just send stuff to a server? What happens when storage is full? Does it dump the history and start over?

How are you storing the information?
I have had setups running for years that don’t store much information at all.
Many people run 4/8/16GB cards for years without filling them up.

It sounds like you may have error logs filling up with data.

So, just clear the error logs?

Work out what the problem is first.

df -k
will tell you which partition is full.

cd /
du -sk *
can help with where the large dirs are.

Yeah, it’s all in the root file. That is all I know.

Joseph Phillips
Drone Services and Graphic Arts
Falcon Photo and Oils
706-476-322

df -h is often more user friendly to new/inexperienced users. It automatically converts and labels to the correct format - i.e. “24G free”, rather than “2461257 free”

1 Like

That’s very uncommon. Something fills your storage up. Friend of mine had issues with his device exposed to the internet and the firewall which used the storage for the logs.

This is mine for the last 30 days, pretty stable

Check what files are in /var/log and what the size of these are.

2 Likes

Same here as @foxhunter, except that my microSD card is only 8 Gb while his is huge 64 Gb

2 Likes

special offer of my local dealer. Cheaper than a 16GB :slight_smile:

Guess What This Is?

Hint: The picture was taken in 1956…

PAA = Pan American Airways, commonly known as Pan Am

It’s a hard disk drive back in 1956 … with 5 MB of storage.

In September 1956 IBM launched the 305 RAMAC, the first ‘SUPER’ computer with a hard disk drive (HDD).

The HDD weighed over a ton and stored a ‘whopping’ :slight_smile: 5 MB of data.

Do you appreciate your 64 GB microSD card a little more now?

1 Like

Even in the 1980s they were still large and expensive.
Wikipedia has it costing $US2,500 in 1983

1 Like

Look at it this way…

If you wanted a collection of 305 RAMAC’s to match a 1 TB micro SD card, they would occupy a space equivalent to a cube 250 feet long on each side. Roughly the volume of 180 Olympic swimming pools!

No problem as long as it connects to a Raspberry

I appreciate all of my equipment. That’s why one of the feeders is stored safely in a box to keep it cozy and warm :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.