New piaware installation

I’m preparing the installation of piaware on a new Raspberry Pi 3b and I am just a little bit confused about the installation process.

Basically I read that there are 2 methods (?):

First:
Install “piaware on Raspbian Linux 3.3.30.zip” on the SD card (image)
That seems to be all.

Second method:
Install Raspbian Jessie or - Light OS on the SD Card
install piaware with wget / sudo … etc.
install dump1090

My question is:
Will both methods give the same result?
And if not, what is the difference?

Second question is:
I read that a 16GB SD Card should be enough, but other places I read 32 GB.
Which one is best to use?

Third question:
I want to start with a simple indoor antenna setup, later I’ll decide what antenna to use.
Will this one do?:
shop.jetvision.de/epages/648079 … ucts/67235

Does somebody know by chance where I can purchase this antenna (or equivalent) in The Netherlands?

Thank you guys!

My question is:
Will both methods give the same result?
And if not, what is the difference?

They are almost the same. If you install one of the OS images you get whatever that OS has installed.
The piaware image has some stuff removed that isn’t needed to run piaware.

Either way you can add stuff back in with the apt-get package manager.

Second question is:
I read that a 16GB SD Card should be enough, but other places I read 32 GB.
Which one is best to use?

The PiAware image install fine on a 4GB SD card but you might not have much extra space.
If you install the other OS images I would recommend a 8GB SD card or larger due to the extra programs installed by the image.
32GB is really overkill and very hard to fill unless you are using piaware for pictures and video.

I recommend a SD card with at around 40MB/sec read and 10MB/sec write (Also known as Class 10 or U3 SD cards).
This greatly improves the usability of having multiple programs running and accessing the SD card.

Third question:
I want to start with a simple indoor antenna setup, later I’ll decide what antenna to use.
Will this one do?:
shop.jetvision.de/epages/648079 … ucts/67235

Some people make their own antenna that work as well as $40-50 antennas. Search this forums for cantenna antenna.
These get about 300+ miles range.

If you dont want to make your own I would check Ebay or similar webstores. There are cheap $5-10 antenna if you search for
“1090MHz Antenna”. They get around 100 miles range.

David, thank you for your excellent answers.

Three Easy DIY Antennas for Beginners

@rexxbr:

I strongly recommend going the make your own route. Both the Cantenna and the Spider give excellent results. Good Luck!